X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gbegland
    • Apr 2005

Lambda TD12's + AMT monitors

Hi guys!

After many months of design work, building and testing they are finally in place. The concept for these studio monitors began last year as an exercise to see what could be done to improve upon our current monitoring situation at www.phatplanetstudios.com At the time, we were running Quested mid fields.

See here: http://www.quested.com/vs3208.html

They were never resolving enough for critical work and ran out of steam very quickly at high levels. We needed something quite a bit more dynamic, but at the same time, detailed and very "hi-fi" sounding. In my experience, many studio main monitors are just loud, with harsh treble and no finess. My goal was to have huge dynamic capability along with the sound quality and tonality usually associated with the best home hi-fi gear.

I was pretty much settled on Lambda TD12M's right from the outset, but the tweeter was a tough choice. We needed high sensitivity to mate up with dual TDs, ability to crossover low enough and be able to handle whatever abuse a recording engineer or intern might create. We tried the Fountek NeoPro 5 without sucess. Down anywhere below 2Khz is bad news for that guy. We tried a Beyma CP380 on a waveguide. This was better, but we were still not pleased. Finally, I up'ed the budget and went the TPL-150, also from Beyma. Now that was the ticket! Handles below 2 Khz with ease, high sensitivity of 99dB spl and is very robust mechanically.

What we ended up with is a 2.5 way design. The inner woofer in each pair is crossed over at appox. 250Hz while the outer one works up to around 1.8Khz. The box is sealed, so accordingly the response drops off below around 60Hz in room. This was the design goal, because coming up next is a dedicated pair of subs. The signal is processed using a BSS Omnidrive 366 with a Crown K2 for the lows and a Bryston 4B for the highs.

The enclosure is an inner layer of 3/4" MDF covered on all sides by an outer layer of 18mm Plywood. Each monitor is 185lbs as finished. These babies are very inert even at levels upwards of 110 dB spl. For absorbtion inside, there is rigid fiberglass as well as Bonded Logic Ultratouch insulation which I highly recommend. http://www.bondedlogic.com/ultratouch.htm Works amazingly well and it's friendly to your lungs AND the environment.

The end result has far exceeded my expectations! All of our engineers that work out of Phat Planet have been blown away with the clarity and detail that these things have and the dynamics are just shocking. No more guessing on compressor settings or kick drum micing. If it's in the recording, you will hear it now...

Kudos to John and Nick of AE/Lambda for designing and crafting large woofers that allow one to still create a 2 way design.

Greg Begland - technician for Phat Planet Studios
    Attached Files
  • gbegland
    • Apr 2005

couple more shots from construction

these babies ended up weighing 185 lbs!
    Attached Files

Comment

• Dennis H
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2002

Nice, Greg! I hadn't seen that Beyma AMT (Heil-style) driver before. It looks like a very nice tweeter for a high-SPL system. And, of course, the Lambda drivers are always hard to beat. :T

Beyma TPL-150 is a pleated diaphragm tweeter. The Beyma TPL-150 is for speaker replacement or upgrade. Beyma has some of the finest high frequency tweeters. The Beyma TPL-150 is available here. Repair your old speaker systems with Beyma speaker parts.

Comment

• gbegland
        • Apr 2005

Thanks so much Dennis. I've pretty much been a lurker here for many years, but finally have something decent to show for it! I'd like to give a quick thanks to all of the wonderful contributors to this forum. Much of your knowlegde and ideas were used in this project. Thanks especially to Thomas for the nice visit several summers ago to check out his speakers.

As a side note, if anyone is interested, I've got a deal worked out to get these Beyma's for a nice price.

Comment

• TacoD
          Super Senior Member
          • Feb 2004

Wow, nicely build system. I imagine that these can create enough punch to make you sick

Comment

• CSS/XBL
            • Oct 2008

Hi,

I have one pair of new unused Beymas that I'm willing to sell for a good price. Please contact me privately.

Bob

Comment

• exojam
              • Dec 2006

Greg,

I have probably a very basic question but since I do not know the answer I will ask you. How are something like these in a studio powered? Is by means of something like a Crown or QSC? Thanks.

James

Comment

• brucemck2
                • Jan 2006

Greg, do you have frequency response, impedance, and/or phase angle plots?

What's overall end efficiency above 80hz or so?

Comment

• gbegland
                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by exojam
                  Greg,

I have probably a very basic question but since I do not know the answer I will ask you. How are something like these in a studio powered? Is by means of something like a Crown or QSC? Thanks.

James
                  We have the processor and amplifiers in an air conditioned "machine room" that also house the consoles power supplies and other hot or noisey equipment. There is a Crown K2 running the woofers and a Bryston 4B on the Beymas.

Greg

Comment

• gbegland
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by brucemck2
                    Greg, do you have frequency response, impedance, and/or phase angle plots?

What's overall end efficiency above 80hz or so?
                    As soon as we have a 100% finalized setting on the processor, I'll get those measurements on this forum.

Not sure about the end result for the sensitivity....since they are active. The Lambdas are spec'd out as 96dBspl and the Beyma is 99dBspl.

Greg

Comment

• penngray
                      • Sep 2007

Yes Lambda drivers are incredible...I have the same drivers/similar build as Exojam.

Im surprised to read about the Neopro5i didnt work for you at 2K, I have it crossovered @ 2K using the DCX and a LR48 slope. Now the biggest problem with the Neopro5i with me is that the vertical response isnt good at all but I have them directed at my HT seating area so all is good so far.

I have followed all lambda builds, this is another great one. If Im in the Orlando area (2 hours for me) I will look you up!!

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"