X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BWLover
    • Jan 2009

B&W vs Studio Monitors

Hello. What exactly are the differences between studio monitors and regular speakers such as B&W's? I do know that the 802's are used in studios. But a lot of people seem to think that if they go into a music shop, one that sells instruments and recording gear etc, and get some "studio monitors", that they now have the best speakers out there. I don't believe this to be the case. But I have no technical knowledge of what makes a studio monitor differ from a speaker of the same price. Thoughts people?
    Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
    Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
    Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
    Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
    Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
    Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
    Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
    Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
    Playstation 3
    Shaw HD PVR
    Primacoustic Room Treatments
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Studio monitors are often active ie self powered. This makes them easy to plonk on top of the console or next to your laptop, plug in and go. In theory they are also supposed to be more flat in frequency response. They are not supposed to guild the Lilly so to speak, no rose coloured classes etc.

But, if you do a bit of research you will hear lots of studio guys talking about learning a speaker. Those super flat speakers are not always so flat. Abbey Road and other places use B&W, in their mixing suites etc but I am sure that here is a similar requirement for engineers to learn those speakers, listening to a range of music and learning where the speakers character lies. I hear them talking about things like a bump at 100 hertz or whatever,gees I barely know what 100 hertz sounds like, I do wonder how many truly have that skill and how accurate it is.

I guess it pays not to limit yourself when comparing speaker options.maybe you like the sound of a pair of professional monitors, or maybe you prefer speaker with a domestic market focus. There is no right and wrong. If you want to monitor recordings there are clearly speakers that will make that easier than others, the warts and all type, B&Ws can be quite revealing.
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• mjb
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

It's been posted before, but always nice to see. It's what humble people aspire to!

- Mike

Main System:
      B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
      Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• BWLover
        • Jan 2009

That's always a pleasing photo to look at. But ya I knew about the 802's being used all over in studios. But I've heard multiple times from people when stereo stuff is the topic, "I've got studio monitors". People say it as if the "studio monitor" label guarantees that it's the best speaker out there. I also should note that these people are not using the monitors in studios.

Sent from my iPhone using the Tapatalk app
        Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
        Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
        Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
        Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
        Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
        Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
        Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
        Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
        Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
        Playstation 3
        Shaw HD PVR
        Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

• linuxtx
          • Apr 2007

Studio monitors, like regular speakers vary wildly in quality. Even among brands, you can find brands with a very well respected high end, and a horrible low end. Part of the problem, is most monitors are active, meaning the amps are inside. As for how B&W compare? I am using Nautilus 805s as studio monitors right now. In the price range, I don't think you can find much that competes. There is an article that compared the DM-303 to several studio monitors, including the Dynaudio BM5A and found the DM-303 a winner at lower volumes. By the same token, I would not want to monitor with the PM-1. While it is a great sounding speaker, there is some midbass bloom that I would rather not deal with when trying to mix and EQ. With the smaller drivers, they will compress at higher volumes. At that price point, there are a few good contenders out there including the Focal Solo 6 be, the Unity Audio "The Rock" or the Event Opal monitors. I looked at upgrading to the 805d, and found the Focals to be a comparable speaker at a much lower price. For less than the price of 805d with amps, you can get the Focal SM-9 with 600W of amp per speaker, and flat down to 30Hz in a speaker that will actually fit on a mixing desk. While the Focals sound good, they are nearfield monitors, they don't perform as well when more than 3 meters away. I wouldn't put them in my home theater, though they may be a perfect solution for someone who does most of their listening at a computer.
          As you look across the range, there are several B&W speakers that make excellent studio monitors, there are much fewer studio monitors that make decent stereo or home theater speakers.

Comment

• Pio
            • Nov 2005

Agree - some "studio" monitors are horrible. I work in the broadcasting field and have been in my fair share of studios around the country. I love my B&Ws, but if I had to pick a studio monitor that wasn't integrated into the control room walls, I would chose a pair of these:

Barefoot speakers sound AMAZING.
            Stereo: Revel F208, Parasound JC2, JC1's, Oppo HA-1, VPI, Dynavector, Moon

HT: B&W 802D2, 805S, HTM4, Marantz, OPPO BDP95, Velodyne DD-12's

HP / secondary system: Woo Audio W2, Carver Sunfire, Kef LS50, Denon, and too many headphones to list

Comment

• linuxtx
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Pio
              Agree - some "studio" monitors are horrible. I work in the broadcasting field and have been in my fair share of studios around the country. I love my B&Ws, but if I had to pick a studio monitor that wasn't integrated into the control room walls, I would chose a pair of these:

Barefoot speakers sound AMAZING.
              The barefoot are supposed to be great, but I haven't had a chance to spend any time with them. I think when it comes time to really look at the SM-9s, I will also track down somewhere to give the MM27 a listen.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"