X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Landroval
    • Dec 2005

Dayton RS for studio monitors

I'm looking for a nice high cost/performance ratio passive studio monitors for a friend and I'm feeling these praised RS designs might be a good way to go. Currently I'm mostly interested in standmount MT's, so both Modula MT's, Mark K's RS225/RS28 and maybe also the Extreme MT and Zaph's L18/27TBFC/G Seas design are on the line of fire.

My friend is looking for a revealing, fast and neutral sound. He has a pair off coaxial 5,5" Penaudio 7.6 cx (textile dome, polypropylene mid), but he want's an other pair with a different sound. The new speaker should however work well with listening distances between 3-9 feet. Efficiency is no problem.

Auditioning any of these will be impossible, so we'll have to trust on other people's opinions. I've calculated costs for these sets and got something like 500€ for the Extreme, 450€ for Mark K's kit, 350€ for RS28 Modula MT and 300€ for Seas Modula MT. All are within budget.

Advice would be welcome. Pros/cons, suitability for close listening distance etc?
  • Mark K
    • Feb 2002

Hi Landroval,

I'm flattered that you've stuck my RS22528a in there. I have to emphasize, there is complete baffle step in that particular design. It works for certain situations only. You need to be fairly far out from the walls, and the listening position to speaker position should be significantly smaller than the distance to the walls, i.e. it shouldn't be a small room. Otherwise, it probably needs a dB or two less bafflestep. It works a bit better than it should, exactly because the F3 is a little high, so the extra dB or two actually pushes the apparent F3 a bit lower.
    www.audioheuristics.org

Comment

• Landroval
      • Dec 2005

Thanks for pointing that out Mark K. My friend is quite fond of your design, he prefers sealed over br and the bigger sd should give the sound the speed he requires.

The listening distance will be usually quite small, but the distance from the walls might be a problem in his current apartment. I'll point that out to him and see what he thinks about it. How much work would be needed to lower the BSC from 6dB to ~3-4dB? Is it doable without measuring equipement?

Comment

• Mark K
        • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Landroval
        Thanks for pointing that out Mark K. My friend is quite fond of your design, he prefers sealed over br and the bigger sd should give the sound the speed he requires.

The listening distance will be usually quite small, but the distance from the walls might be a problem in his current apartment. I'll point that out to him and see what he thinks about it. How much work would be needed to lower the BSC from 6dB to ~3-4dB? Is it doable without measuring equipement?
        If I could find the exact measurement files, I could very easily run the sims again. Give me some time to look.
        www.audioheuristics.org

Comment

• Mark K
          • Feb 2002

Hi Landroval,

I did find the exact files. So I can easily trim off 1.5-2dB of bafflestep. If you're interested let me know and I'll redo all the sims and post it on my site.
          www.audioheuristics.org

Comment

• Landroval
            • Dec 2005

Ok, that's great. I'll ask my friend if he has decided what to do.

Comment

• Landroval
              • Dec 2005

Yep, he said he would appreciate a lower bsc option. He'll order the drivers soon and tries to find time to work on the enclosure.

Comment

• Landroval
                • Dec 2005

Hmm, any comments on using the Scan Speak aperiodic vent with the sealed RS225 in order to make the enclosure smaller?

This: http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/ind....2176&pid=1189

Comment

• Landroval
                  • Dec 2005

How's it cooking? Any progress?

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"