• Aug 2000

They're here!

My two newest toys just arrived

Rotel RSP-1098 and Rotel RMB 1075 ;h

• Scarp
    • Mar 2003

Congrats!

Are those a replacement for your 1055?
    Hmm... in black ... I hadn't seen a pic of the 1098 in black. Looks different than the silver one. Very nice for in a darkened theatre ... doesn't attract attention.

Let us hear what you think of it btw

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Yes these are to replace the 1055 and one of the HKPA5800 amps I'm currently using. I guess the 1055's offically for sale now

Comment

• Azeke
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2003

Very nice Andrew I know you are excited.

When are you hooking up those puppies?

Azeke

Comment

• Danbry39
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Sep 2002

Good going Andrew. If you know me, I'm really anxious as to how it does in two channel. Hope you post your impressions soon.

Keith
          Keith

Comment

• Bill Blank
            • Sep 2002

Congrats Andrew! Now all you need is that Denon DVD-2900!! (Go for it!)

Bill

Rotel RSP-1066
            Rotel RMB-1075
            Rega Planet 2000
            Denon DVD-2900
            Mitsubishi WS-55411
            Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v3
            Paradigm Reference Studio CC-470 v3
            Paradigm Reference Studio 20 v3
            Velodyne CT-120

Comment

• zman
              • Aug 2003

New to the Forum, (I have mostly been browsing), and this is my first post. I too picked up my 1098 today. I took my 1065 in for a display problem and walked out with the 1098. I am pleased so far. I know it will take a while to break in the unit, so I'll leave my impressions till later. I noticed I have to turn the volume up more than the 1065, but that might be because it is still breaking in. The one thing that I haven't figured out is when I fast forward chapters on my DVD I get alot of clicking. I might be missing something in the setup, but so far that's the only problem I have encountered.

Comment

• george king
                • Dec 2000

congrats. I know you will love them. I know I love my 1075 amp, just need to replace the Yamaha 995 with a nice RSP 1066.

I am so jelous

Comment

• Azeke
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2003

Zman,

I believe the clicking is attributed to the changing of the surround modes as the 1098 attempts to lock in on the signal for proper decoding, check it out to be sure.

Sorry Andrew, I didn't mean to steal your joy.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Mats
                    Special Member
                    • Jun 2000

those sure are perty... i bet they sound good too
                    Mats
                    Mats Strömberg
                    Ah! It's a profit deal! Takes the pressure off! Get your weight guessed right here! Only a buck! Actual live weight guessing! Take a chance and win some crap!
                    Navin R Johnson (alias Steve Martin)

Comment

• zman
                      • Aug 2003

That's what it is. I just switched inputs to DTS. I was watching a DTS movie and when I would fast forward it was clicking between prologic and DTS.

Thanks,

Ken

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Its all installed and most of the other gear is connected to it again. I had to move a lot of gear around between the two racks since the 1075 amp is much taller then the HK its replacing and it wouldn't fit where I wanted it to go. No matter its all in now and I just spend the better part of a hour listening to some CD cuts to see what I thought. I'll sum it up with :E its so much cleaner sounding then the 1055 and HK PA5800 combo. I was grining from ear to ear when I first started listening to some CD's using the 1098's DAC's...simply amazing:drool: I have a lot of tweaking to do yet with my pronto and this and that but so far this seems to suit ;x(

Comment

• Danbry39
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Sep 2002

It's going to be interesting to see whether you prefer the DAC's on the Rotel or the Sony 555ES, if you end up getting that.

Great to see that the new pre-pro is so good. A little to late for me personally because I just spent a ton of money on speakers, but I'm happy for all you 1098 owners. Well, actually I'm pretty envious.

Keith
                          Keith

Comment

• gd
                            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by zman
                            I took my 1065 in for a display problem and walked out with the 1098.
                            Now THAT'S the way to fix a display problem! I salute you!

Andrew, that unit is stunning in black!... I have to admit I'd taken the 1098 off my short list because of the video display (I'd prefer my pre-pro to be as video-free as possible) and lack of balanced pre-outs (on such a large box!)... BUT if it is as big a step up sonically from the 1055/66 as your first impressions suggest, the 1098 is going right back on the list.

Keep us posted, man.
                            greg (gd to you)
                            Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                            production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

I'd say put the 1098 back on the short list....its really that good..at least so far off to play :twisted:

Comment

• Foxman
                                • Jan 2003

Thats the first 1098 I have scene in black...thats nice looking. I might be a player in a 1098 some day, but I have to log a few more miles on the 1066 before the wife/ house/ senate approve such a majore step. Congrats though that is very sharp indeed.

You just can't fix stupid
                                IMO

My Movies
                                Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• Energeezer
                                  • Sep 2002

Since you graduated to the 1075 I may know someone in Winnipeg who wants the HK PAs if the price is right
                                  Maybe part of the clean sound is due to the 1075 over the HK
                                  BTW
                                  My 1055/1075 kept getting better and better and better for about a month.
                                  When is the PJ coming. I'm happy fo you even if it is a digital 8)
                                  Steve

The Future of HT lies in FP SPREAD THE WORD

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

Steve the HK amp is already sold 8O The 1055's still available though

I was planning on just adding the 1075 and seeing how that improved over the HK amp but the 1075's such a tall amp it didn't fit where the old HK was so I had to pull out all the gear and redo it all which meant I wasn't going to bother with the amp test. I still hope to try them out one day since I still have one HK amp left but it won't be today or tomorrow...to much to play with first

As for the PJ I'm still waiting for it to ship :evil: (long story)

Comment

• Tha Freak
                                      • Jul 2003

Originally posted by foxman
                                      ...but I have to log a few more miles on the 1066 before the wife/ house/ senate approve such a majore step...
                                      same here...!

I just got the 1055! and I still like itquite a lot...will get a separate amp before...

BTW what is the breaking period?? does that mean that it will play better by time going??

- - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?
                                      -Mr. Blond in Reservoir Dogs
                                      - - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?

Comment

• Danbry39
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Sep 2002

Freak,

Here's a link to a thread on just that very subject in the last couple of weeks:

Link

Keith
                                        Keith

Comment

• dali
                                          • Jul 2002

I was grining from ear to ear when I first started listening to some CD's using the 1098's DAC's...simply amazing
                                          Andrew, if you compare compare the old setup with the new it is very difficult to say which component does what to the sound, since two major components have been substituted simultaneously. I would think that the big difference is the HK vs the RMB 1075? The DAC's should be more icing on the cake, not that big a difference. However, I haven't listened to a RSP1098 so I don't know how good the DAC's are.

Comment

• Parrot Head
                                            • Apr 2003

Well Done Andrew - Cheers

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Aug 2000

Dali as I said above one of these days (this weekend maybe) I will get round to listening to the 1098 though my HK amp. I do notice that I can play much louder now without any distortion which is clearly a result of the amp upgrade.

Comment

• skipm
                                                • Jun 2003

Wow, I go away for a little vacation and when I return I find out that everyone has 1098's! Way to go! Actually I just called my dealer and mine arrived while I was gone. There was a mix up on his first order and he received 3 black units. He made a few phone calls last Wednesday and my silver unit arrived on Friday. Kudos to Rotel for be so responsive.

If anyone wants specific pictures let me know and I'll take them. Like Andrew I'm basically going to have to rip everything out to make room for these guys (picked up a 1075 too) so if will be a few days before I'll have it in place. As for comparsions since this is my first Rotel gear I won't be able to compare it to a 1066 but I am curious to hear how it compares to my current Denon 3803 and it's 16 Burr Brown DACs.

I'm starting to feel a little sick so I think I may have to take the afternoon off. I wouldn't want to over do it the first day back from vacation.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Aug 2000

I just found out one interesting thing about the 1098. the clicking we hear when changing modes etc is the relays inside. These are gold plated relays which sound a lot better then most IC units. Nice to know we have nothing to worry about when it clicks...actually its sort of comforting to know its a quality connection being made not just a cheap little IC.

Comment

• Energeezer
                                                    • Sep 2002

Andrew.
                                                    You play louder now. OMG. When I was over I was blown away by the volume you use. Of course I am a few years older than you thus the name Energeezer.
                                                    If the PJ deal falls through I have a Barco Data 808 with no wear on the tubes including roadcase and remote. for $2200.
                                                    I'll set it up for you for a couple a brew during (mostly after if you know what I mean) install and I'll bet it walks on the digital
                                                    Oh yea. I'm still waiting for the invite to yur HT group meeting. If you want I'll have the gang over here for some Rotel and CRT action.
                                                    I may have a buyer for your 1055. My buddys house just got broken into and his 1055 is gone. Got plenty o cash from insurance so he may opt to go used and put some more cash towards other components. How much ya want fur it?
                                                    ! more thing. Hows the little girl doing?
                                                    Steve

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Aug 2000

Steve I sent you an email about your friend.

As for loudness I usually demo at reference level but if its just glenda and I its usually about -10 from ref and if laurens around its way lower then that

Comment

• ht_addict
                                                        • Dec 2002

Andrew,

What is the CDN retail on the 1098? How much are you selling the 1055 for?

ht_addict

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Aug 2000

I'm asking $1400 plus shipping for it (see the for sale area)

Comment

• skipm
                                                            • Jun 2003

Finally!!!! ;h

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Aug 2000

Very nice! I perfer the pre amp in black but the the silver amp looks very nice:T

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Sep 2002

skipm,

Those look truly sensational!!!

Keith
                                                                Keith

Comment

• Howie
                                                                  • Feb 2003

WoooHoooooooo!!! Just got my brand new 1098 (black) yesterday evening - my dealer gave me $1000 for my 1066, but didn't really discount the 1098. Only had time to hook up the Denon DVD2900 and my Sony HD100 DirectTV HDTV receiver and watch parts of several different movies. Briefly listened to some of the DTV music stations through the 1098 DACs. My initial reaction is that there seems to be better, clearer separation between all the different channels than the 1066. Maybe it's just my imagination or maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part because I took the plunge, but from what I heard in just a couple of hours last night, the 1098 sonics are decidedly an upgrade over the 1066 (and the 1066 is an awesome machine). Can't wait to get home and have the whole weekend to play with the thing.

Howie

Howie
                                                                  Howie

Comment

• pjdami
                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                    • Jul 2003

I was wondering what the US retail value of the new RSP 1098 is?

I see that Rotel hasn't updated their main website with the pricing as of yet.

Thanks,
                                                                    Paul

p.s. They sure do look sweet.

Comment

• Nick V
                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                      • May 2003

I was grining from ear to ear when I first started listening to some CD's using the 1098's DAC's...simply amazing
                                                                      Speaking of the DAC's, have you taken a peek inside the box? Do you know what DAC's the 1098 is using?

Click Here to see my HT
                                                                      Click Here to see my HT

Comment

• skipm
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Jun 2003

Paul-

I believe MSRP on the RSP-1098 is $2,999, however, most folks have been able to get 10% off MSRP so your mileage may vary.

-Skip

Comment

Working...
                                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                        Search Result for "|||"