X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • emf
    • Jan 2005

Rotel RSX with a side order of Magnepan MMGs

Hello everyone,

I'm a brand new owner of an RSX-1056, my first Roland and my first receiver in over 20 years. I have always been a confirmed separates guy, alternating between low- and mid-high end. Times change, and needing a receiver in the TV room, I couldn't imagine anything other than one of the two Rotels. My question is, How compromised is the Rotel's amplification when presented with five sub-8 ohm speakers? It has been asked at least once before, but the kicker was that the 1056 wasn't doing all the driving. I realize that Rotel draws the line at 8-ohms with the 1056 (not even bothering with specs below that), but has anyone tried a bigger load? Magnepans loom large on my wish list, even the most modest ones, which seem perfect for the small room. It doesn't look good for them with the Rotel, but all comments are appreciated.
  • psych_o_pat
    • Dec 2004

Hi, I have a pair of MMG W (for the rears) on an rsx-1055. I use a high-end amp for stereo listening and use the rears with the Rotel when listening HT.

My suggestion:
    -MMGs for the front with a separate power amp that will really do justice to these very good speakers when listening music.
    -MMG Ws for the rear and use them with your Rotel, you can connect also your center to the Rotel.

I don't like that much the sound of the Rotel receiver when listening stereo because I have experimented on separates how good the Magnepans can sound. If you stress too much your receiver, the Magnepans will tell you because they are really resolving.

I already tried a big load on my receiver (~3.4 ohms for my fronts and 5 ohms for the rears... at high volume the sound wasn't good) I then put my fronts back in my power amp and the fun began.

Hope this helps

Comment

• emf
      • Jan 2005

Helps a lot. Thanks P O P.

Comment

• psych_o_pat
        • Dec 2004

Well, you could check how the MMGs will work with the rsx-1056 and upgrade to a separate amp for the fronts if the rsx is not up to the task. Why I tell you that? The MMGs are not as resistive as a dynamic loudspeaker with the same impedance. If MMGs have 4 ohms, il will act as 4 ohms for the entire frequency range. On dynamic speaker, sometimes the impedance may go deeper and that what's make an amplifier having hard time. My main speakers are rated 4 ohms for most of the frequency range, but they can go as low as 2.5 ohms (That's why it doesn't match well with my rsx).

BTW, get MMGs for the fronts, not the MMG-Ws. While the MMG-Ws are excellent, they are not good music performers as the MMGs.

Comment

• emf
          • Jan 2005

Thanks again P O P. When the time comes, what I'll probably do is ask my Magnepan dealer, who is also a Rotel dealer, either the same question or, better yet, ask him to connect the M's to a 1056 and see what happens.

Ed

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

emf your dealer won't have any of the smaller MMGs on hand as those are available direcly from Magnepan only. Still the 1.6's should be similar to the MMG's as far as their load goes (set them to small and run a sub as that will take a lot of the load off the receiver and you wouldn't want an MMG to be set to large anyway)

Comment

• emf
              • Jan 2005

Andrew,

Good point about the local unavailability of the MMGs. Thanks. I'm hoping that they work out. I'm pleased with the receiver (not a statment I expected to make in a million years), but I'd hate for it to be the reason for not getting the little MMGs. As long as the speakers don't audibly choke at moderate levels, I'll be relieved. My volume demands are modest. Sub will be part of the mix, and I suppose I could always take psych's route with a second amp if necessary, though space in that room is at a premium. Nice operation you run here.

Ed

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

emf might I also suggest you consider getting some aftermarket stands for the MMG's so they stand upright instead of leaning backwards. I found that to have a significant impact on the sound quality and was an affordable tweak (I made my own stands)

Comment

• psych_o_pat
                  • Dec 2004

emf, in my opinion, (with no offence to the Andrew's suggestions which I think is more suitable for HT only listening), if you plan set the MMGs to small, then you could just buy the MMG-Ws instead (because you only get the benefits of the higher frequency range that MMGs can deliver if you set your MMGs to small. I think that one of the most improving areas between the MMGs and the MMG-Ws is the bass extension; MMGs are excellent when reproducing music even without a sub, where MMG-Ws just can't live without.

If music reproduction in a concern (good plain stereo), better get the MMGs and set them on fullrange. In stereo, when powering only the fronts at moderate volumes I don't think that the Rotel will suffer at all; it has a nice amount of power. You may finish by buying and external amp just because you want a more open and transparent sound to get the most of your beloved MMGs. I have tried the MMGs with a Bel Canto eVo II; you cannot imagine how good these inexpensive speakers are.

Get the MMGs!!

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"