X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Perry
    • Mar 2003

Installation of new Rotel 1055 receiver

I am buying a Rotel AVR RSX 1055 on 'cash and carry' basis, i.e. I have to install and get it running by myself. The dealer is 200km away from my home. I am also buying Paradigm Studio 60s, Studio CC and Studio 20s speakers from him for a 5.1 system along with Tempest subwoofer from another source.

Have not done this type of thing before, although I do have an aptitude for tinkering with simple stuff.

I look forward for some advice as to any pitfalls to avoid when setting up. What sort of connectors should I have ready for the cables that I would need. My TV (Philips progressive scan model 29PT9418) accepts component video input. The DVD player is Pioneer DV-655A.

If shielded cable is not required for any of the connections I plan to buy multi-strand electrical wire similar or close in diameter to gauge 12 speaker cables and use it to connect the speakers and sub to the Rotel receiver.

Question 1 - is shielded cable required for connecting to speakers and sub; or where is shielded cable required?

Question 2 - what type of connectors and cable is neceesary to connect the DVD player to the Rotel receiver and the Rotel receiver to T.V.? I don't really understand this component video stuff.

Delivery date is at least 4-5 weeks from now, I do have time to learn from you and prepare so that my first experience with Rotel might turn out as pleasant as yours was. Please give me some hints and suggestions.

Best regards

Perry
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

First off, congratulations on your new purchase. You bought some very nice quality gear there.

Now, it gets more difficult. As you're probably aware, cables are one of the more controversial issues in audio/visual. So, this is just MY OPINION. :P

First off, I believe that solidly built cables using good materials at a reasonable price are of great benefit overall to a home theater. I personally wouldn't buy what's referred to as a boutique cable and don't believe they're worth the money.

Now, onto your questions. Again, I'm not electrical engineer, so I'm only going by what I believe. As to subwoofer cable, I doubt that you "need" shielded cable. In terms of carrying frequency, subwoofers aren't asked to do much - perhaps up to 120 hz. I do believe subs will be affected by the plug - a nice, tight fitting RCA plug would be a plus. So, I believe you could go to a place like Radio Shack and pick up whatever length of RG6 or RG59 and get some connectors and you'll be ready to go.

As to your second question, component video is superior to using S-Video or composite connections. With component, the signal is split into three parts, Y, Pr, and Pb. Usually, they are terminated with RCA connections, but occasionally with a locking connector called BNC.

Unlike sub cables, the design of the component cable will produce real world differences in video quality. I've experienced this first hand. Factors such as the quality of the insullation, the connectors, and immunity to noise all factor in. The cable should be 75 ohm impedance.

Most connect the component cables directly from the DVD player to the TV. In this case, you'll only need to buy one set. Some who want to use the video switching capabilities of the receiver connect from DVD to receiver to the TV, which means you'd have to buy two sets.

You'll probably also want to buy either a digital coaxial or toslink cable to lead from the DVD player to the receiver. Again debatable, many feel that the digital coaxial is a better option here. It certainly is the more durable choice.

If I were you, I'd contact Lex (Doug) here at HTGuide and consider ordering his Quantum or CatCable products. They are the finest I've owned, use quality materials, and are amazingly well constructed - all for a reasonable price. Doug will make recommendations as to what will fit your needs best. And, he won't try to rip you off. When I ordered audio cables from him, he actually recommended lesser costing cables to me as he felt they would suit my needs best. If anything, well constructed cables will last longer due to build quality.

Again, I believe that you should not short change yourself on cables, especially with the nice equipment you bought. Others might disagree, but I strongly feel this way. The cables I have in my system are Signal, Rhino, and Quantum. All are excellent at a reasonable price. My favorites happen to be the Quantums. Again, as I'm a moderator here, I feel it necessary to state that I felt this way long before my recent change in status. In fact, if I'm correct, Doug, despite having a return policy has never had anyone take him up on it. That says something.

Boy, am I long winded. Hope this helps. It's way past my bedtime. So, sleep tight all.

Keith
    Keith

Comment

• Perry
      • Mar 2003

Hi Danbry,

Many thanks for your views. I would be glad to have Lex help me out but I think it would be a hard job for him as I live in the Far East which is probably about 10,000 kilometers away from you guys. So near but yet so far.

Bye the way, can you or anyone else advise me as to how far apart the cables for the rear speakers have to be separated from each other. I have to run cables for both the rear L/R channels along the same wall to the first rear corner and then 1 cable will run a longer distance to the other corner. If these cables can be run parallel and close to each other it would greatly enhance the WAF.

Question - should these cables to the rear speakers be made of shielded wires?

Question - do I need an external antenna for the tuner in the Rotel receiver?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards

Perry

Comment

• Danbry39
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2002

I live in the Far East which is probably about 10,000 kilometers away from you guys. So near but yet so far.
        Yes, I guess that would be a problem. Where in the Far East do you live? That has to be one of my favorite things about the internet, you can actually talk to people from all over the world. Actually, this board seems to be quite international.

Before I forget, if you use component cables from your DVD player, make sure the TV has the same connections available.

As to the distance of separation between speaker cables, I've heard that they do need to be separated to avoid interference, but really am kind of in the dark on this issue, so hopefully someone more savvy will help out here.

Keith
        Keith

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"