RSX-1056 - Occasional snap sound through speakers??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Edweirdo
    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ThomasJ
    We hooked up my first RSX-1056(1.1.9 software) at the service department where I bought it and we were able to get the snapping sound on their system as well. I spoke to a Rotel representative again this morning and I was told that a unit they had there in the office was making the snap/pop sound but that he had a 1056 at home that does not make the sound. From what I understand they are contacting the manufacturer in China to see if maybe something is wrong with the process or a bad batch of components(they didn't know what it could be really, just some possibilities). I suppose they are going to check some of the 1056's there in China to see if any of them are doing this as well. I think I am going to order another one and maybe it can be pretested at Rotel to make sure it doesn't snap/pop before sending. If it can't be fixed or if all the newest ones do this I may look at something different.
    I just purchased a 1056 (replacing a very reliable Denon AVR 3200), and it is driving my wife & me nuts with the popping noises. Thought it might "go away" after a burn in period, but it's still there. Mostly when in the "digital domain"; no noise when playing through my Phillips 952 SACD or with my turntable. Tried switching out the Mapleshade digital coax cable since it has virtually no sheilding, replacing it with a short (.5m) Audioquest cable. Seems to help, but watching movies in Dolby Digital is painful.

It does sound like a static discharge of some kind, but the dealer claims to not have had the situation arise previously. My unit did come right off a pallet with a brabnd new shipment og 1056's, so maybe Rotel made a change to the circuitry that is bogus?

Comment

• Edweirdo
      • Feb 2005

I just purchased a 1056 (replacing a very reliable Denon AVR 3200), and it is driving my wife & me nuts with the popping noises. Thought it might "go away" after a burn in period, but it's still there. Mostly when in the "digital domain"; no noise when playing through my Phillips 952 SACD or with my turntable. Tried switching out the Mapleshade digital coax cable since it has virtually no sheilding, replacing it with a short (.5m) Audioquest cable. Seems to help, but watching movies in Dolby Digital is painful.

It does sound like a static discharge of some kind, but the dealer claims to not have had the situation arise previously. My unit did come right off a pallet with a brabnd new shipment og 1056's, so maybe Rotel made a change to the circuitry that is bogus?

Ed

Comment

• scient
        • Feb 2005

Edweirdo read my previous post. They should replace ur receiver.

Comment

• Dan K
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by emf
          I've only had mine for a couple of days. No snapping, but I have noticed that on what appears to DD2.0 programming on cable, the automatic surround default to DPLII does not always switch cleanly. The center becomes recessed and seriously attenuated. If I go into the 1056 menu to the test tone, the DPLII immediately comes on full force. I also seem to able to get it manually if I press the two-channel button on the remote first and then press the DPLII button. I'm too early on in this game to make definitive pronouncements. I'm not sure whether the 1056's processing is uneven, the signal from cable is difficult for it to read, or I'm doing something wrong.

Ed
          ed,
          i'm having the same problem with not being able to hear dialogue well when i'm watching time warner cable and it switches to DPLII when i change a channel. i can get the sound back by switching to two channel and then back to DPLII like you said but there has to be a better long term solution.

have you found out any more information about this problem?

i just got my rotel 1056 (actually my second. the dealer swapped me a new one when i noticed the static crackling on the first day. he said this problem has been happening and so far the new one is static free) and i'm happy with it, but for the money i would like to think that it could give me the proper sound on cable channels.
          dan

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

Ed and Dan,

Please chime in on the 'New 1098 firmware issues' thread, someone that just updated their unit to the new firmware is having the same issues as you, but not on the older firmware.. We need you to chime in and see if we can help Rotel narrow it down based on firmware versions..

Thanks,

Kevin D.

Comment

• Edweirdo
              • Feb 2005

new receiver works

undefinedundefinedundefinedI have spoken with the dealer where I purchased my 1056, and Rotel has acknowledged the popping noise problem, isolated the bad component, and will either change the board, or replace with a new unit. Definitely helps boost my confidence in Rotel!! I'll post a message after the situation is resolved. I would encourage anyone that is having a problem to contact both Rotel and the dealer that sold the unit.

Ed

A late update: the dealer replaced my 1056 with a new unit shipped from Rotel after being checked there first. It performs as specified (beautifully!!!), and I have had no othe issues with the receiver since. Thanks Rotel and Fred's Sound of Music (Portland OR) for getting this straightened out!!

Ed
              Last edited by Edweirdo; 31 October 2005, 16:38 Monday. Reason: update

Comment

• Kirby
                • Oct 2004

I am pissed. I just picked up a new 1056 bthat is supposed to be fixed. It has 1.1.9 software and the thing is driving me crazy. Every time I change the volume it is clicking through my speakers. If you turn the EQ on of off it clicks through the speakers. My old receiver with the snapping problem did not have these issues. I am calling Rotel tomorrow to see what is the problem here. I think this is my last go around with this Rotel CRAP. Has anybody else experienced this?

Comment

• emf
                  • Jan 2005

[QUOTE=Kevin D]Ed and Dan,

Please chime in on the 'New 1098 firmware issues' thread, someone that just updated their unit to the new firmware is having the same issues as you, but not on the older firmware.. We need you to chime in and see if we can help Rotel narrow it down based on firmware versions..

Kevin,

I've been ill while a lot of this storm has been brewing. I was beginning to wonder whether Dan and I were alone with the faulty switching from DD2.0 to DPLII. It's comforting to know, in a not so comforting way, that we aren't. Since it's well documented at this point, I won't go into detail now, only to mention, or remind, that my firmware version is 1.1.9. That people who've done the upgrade to 2.1 seem to be catching up to our problem is puzzling. I guess the firmware thread is the best place for further posting on this subject.

Ed

Comment

• Bob U
                    • Nov 2004

I purchased a new RSX-1056 in January: static, popping problems.
                    I got a replacement in February: static, popping; defective right surround channel.
                    I got my present replacement in April: everything is perfect with this unit! Thanks, Rotel (finally).

Comment

• GregoriusM
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Oct 2000

Just bought the 1056 two days ago, and have had a couple of pops when turn EQ on/off with just the F/C/R installed so far.

No hiss in the center channel whatsoever though.......... fingers crossed.
                      Gregor

Comment

• GregoriusM
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Oct 2000

Spoke too soon. Significant hiss in all speakers, even the fronts.

This HAS to be remedied by Rotel under warranty!

I can hear the hiss in my front speakers from about 6 inches away and from my center speaker from about 6 feet away.

I haven't hooked up my surrounds yet. Waiting for stands.

With the click/pop and the hiss, I will find it very hard to justify putting out 2 large ones (taxes included) for this receiver.

It is the best sounding one in its class, but these problems can't be tolerated.

:M
                        Gregor

Comment

• Asterduc
                          • Dec 2004

be serious

Can you realy hear Hiss at 6 inches?
                          Don't worry. You can get worried if you DON'T hear it anymore!!! :rofl:

Comment

• GregoriusM
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Oct 2000

:rofl:

Yes, I can hear the hiss from 6 inches, and the thing about the center speaker is that it isn't a "white noise" type hiss, it is a slight "gurgly hiss".

And, yes I've checked all the connections, and the center speaker does not have the gurgly hiss when hooked up to the FR or FL speaker outs, so something is weird.

If it was just a white noise type hiss from an inch away, I'd have no problem.

So, I'm off to the salesman tomorrow for a chat.

But, Rotel has the sound I want that I can afford, so I'm hoping I can get my 1056 woes worked out. :T
                            Gregor

Comment

• Asterduc
                              • Dec 2004

Hiss at 6 inches is normal. I don't know what you mean with "Gurgly hiss", but if that is what I think that it is, then you defenitely have an earth problem.
                              To check this, disconnect all inputs and the noise should be gone.
                              I have this when I switch my ThemeScene projector on. It comes through the HDMI cable. However the level is so low (I don't sit as close as 6 inches from my speakers) that I can accept it.

Ed

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"