X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carterofmar
    • Aug 2004

Arcam AVR200 vs Rotel-1056

Can anyone tell me how the two compare? I auditioned the Arcam at lunch today and it sounded excellent. I'm very close to buying a Rotel-1056 but after hearing the Arcam I feel the need to reach out for opinions.

Any opinions or experiences greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
  • Shockabuku
    • Jul 2004

Hi there. You should probably be comparing the AVR300, not the AVR200, with the 1056. This is the latest av receiver model from Arcam and, at least in the UK, is approx the same price as the Rotel. I've recently auditioned pretty much all the receivers around that price, & I found the Rotel to be the best overall. The Arcam was excellent in stereo (a tad more "audiophile" than the Rotel I would say), but I found it rather lacking in multichannel...just a bit weak & uninvolving for the price. The Rotel, on the other hand, was still very good in stereo (beating the likes of Pioneer & Denon with ease, & only a shade behind the Arcam), but I found it to be superb for movies...very involving...bags of headroom & excellent effects steering...plus it's £100 cheaper than the Arcam in the UK.

In the end, I was tempted into auditioning the 1068/1075 combination...and had to have it. *Warning*...do not listen to them if you're not willing to buy them! :B
    Mark G.

Comment

• Bam!
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Shockabuku
      Hi there. You should probably be comparing the AVR300, not the AVR200, with the 1056. This is the latest av receiver model from Arcam and, at least in the UK, is approx the same price as the Rotel. I've recently auditioned pretty much all the receivers around that price, & I found the Rotel to be the best overall. The Arcam was excellent in stereo (a tad more "audiophile" than the Rotel I would say), but I found it rather lacking in multichannel...just a bit weak & overpriced for the performance. The Rotel, on the other hand, was still very good in stereo (beating the likes of Pioneer & Denon with ease, & only a shade behind the Arcam), but I found it to be superb for movies...very involving...bags of headroom & excellent effects steering...plus it's £100 cheaper than the Arcam in the UK.

In the end, I was tempted into auditioning the 1068/1075 combination...and had to have it. *Warning*...do not listen to them if you're not willing to buy them! :B
      I second that!

Thanks for saving me some typing....I would`ve typed EXACTLY the same thing....except for the UK thing! :lol:
      Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• Shockabuku
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Bam!
        I second that!

Thanks for saving me some typing....I would`ve typed EXACTLY the same thing....except for the UK thing! :lol:
        :T :T :T
        Mark G.

Comment

• theMaximus
          • Jul 2004

Home Cinema Magazine (British Hi-Fi magazine) recently conducted a group test (July issue) and 1056 beat out Arcam DiVa AVR300, Denon AVR3805, Harman Kardon AVR630, and Yamaha RX-V2400RDS to be the editor's choice. You shouldn't buy an equipment solely based on reviews, but it may give you some ideas about what the so called "experts" are saying about the gear you are considering. You can pick up a copy at your local Barnes and Noble store if you live in the US. I'm assuming you can probably get a copy of that magazine pretty much anywhere if you live in UK. You really should audition both receivers using the speaker you want to buy and go with what your ears tell you to buy.
          Victory Shall Be Mine!!! :heh:

Comment

• Carterofmar
            • Aug 2004

AVR-300 and Rotel 1056

The street price for a AVR-200 in the US is approx 1050.00. Street for Rotel is approx 1000.00. Street for the AVR-300 is 1700.00.
            I can't compare the 300 with the 1056... it's out of my AMP budget.

Any other thoughts on the AVR-200?

By the way Shockabuku... your Avitar is bugging me out!

Comment

• Jurgen
              • Jul 2003

If I am not mistaken the avr 200 is an obsolete model compared to the new and improved 1056. Even more than one year ago, English magazine "what hifi" rated the avr 200 as out of date and overpriced in a group test with the likes of denon, yamaha and pioneer and Rotel 1055(the predecessor).
              For sure you do not have the same tweaking options(i.e. variable cross over) the rotel has and I don’t think you have the ex and es compatibility.
              For me, upgrading to the 1056 from a 1055 is not really an attractive option. But if I were to be in your shoes, I would urge you to take the Rotel. The Arcam seems to have had its prime.

Comment

• Bill Blank
                • Sep 2002

Firstly, you're asking this in a Rotel forum so you should know what to expect. I'm going to agree with the rest and recommend the Rotel unless music is the overwhelming priority (we're talking 95% music - 5% movies).

Arcam's bread and butter is their disc players, DVD and CD, with their integrated amps second IMO. Their A/V receivers and separates rank a distant 3rd...especially with better priced competition.

Just my $.02

Bill

Comment

• Shockabuku
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Carterofmar
                  By the way Shockabuku... your Avitar is bugging me out!
                  Sorry about that mate...maybe Silent Bob would be more suitable? He's very quiet :W
                  Mark G.

Comment

• Carterofmar
                    • Aug 2004

Arcam Avr-200

Had to go with the Arcam AVR-200... had an opportunity to pick one up in flawless condition for 550.00.

Opinion: This Amp is outstanding. The sound is crisp, clear, and full. I have ACI sappires set up with it. The Sapphires are fantastic already and with the Arcam seem to really come into their own.

One word of caution... be sure to set the Ground Lift Switch to "Ground Lift." I had a low Hum in the loudspeakers and in researching on line, I saw others with the same issue. see the following:

GROUND LIFT switch
                    If your system only takes audio sources from CD or DVD,
                    set this switch to ‘GROUND’. In more complex setups which
                    involve satellite inputs or radio aerials, grounding the unit may
                    actually increase the level of background hum or buzz in the
                    loudspeakers, in which case set the switch to ‘GROUND LIFT’.

Well, Like I said... no complaints. Music is more important to me than movies... prob like a 70/30 split.

Don't count out the Arcam. Rotel is excellent, no doubt, but if Music is important to you... audition an AVR200 or AVR300. You won't be sorry!!!

:T :T :T :T :T :T

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"