X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mave
    • Dec 2004

Adding a power amp to RSX-1056

I'm not having the tight bass from my receiver like the (old) integrated Sony I have produces. Does adding a RB-1070 or 1080 help ?

Thanks !
  • rick c
    • Aug 2004

What speakers do you have.What are your settings ( croosover,spkr size)thru the rotel.I believe these things make a difference.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
      • May 2004

placement...placement....
      most people don't realize placing the speaker will change the way a speaker interact with the room. Experiment with placements a little bit, before you go out and buy youself a new amp. I'm sure your Sony receiver doesn't have that much more power than a Rotel 1056, so why not experiment with settings and placements a little.

Comment

• mave
        • Dec 2004

I use the direct mode so the settings shouldn't make a difference. The Sony is an integrated, not a receiver. It's an old one with the wooden side panels at a total of 20 KG.
        The speakers are on the same spot. So this and the above made me think about a power am. Or.... maybe I can use the Sony as a power amp ? I'm not sure if that's possible with an integrated..
        But, will adding a power amp result in a tighter bass or is that a "problem" within the receiver that the power amp won't solve.

Moreover, I''ve bought a cable to use the 12v trigger on the connection of my sub, but somehow nothing happens when I turn on the Rotel. Am I forgetting something ??

Thanks for your help !

Comment

• soundhound
          • Mar 2004

As both mentioned earlier, it sounds like it's time to set down with the manual, go thru the set-up step by step, and I would bet you will find the sound your'e "missing". I see alot of people with their new toy's post, saying this won't do this or it won't do that, and 10 times out of ten they come back and say "sure it will, I just didn't have this or that set". They aren't the type of machine you just take out of the wrapper, plug it in, and wha-la, instant orchestra. If we take the time to dial them in to our enviroments, most of us are pleasantly surprised, and can understand what all the rave is about.

Comment

• mave
            • Dec 2004

I know the settings are very important, but in this case I'm using the Direct Mode(anologue stereo) (I know the name is different on Rotel but you know what I mean). So the settings are not important since they are all passed.
            So I think it cannot be adjusted. Hope I'm wrong !!!!

Comment

• soundhound
              • Mar 2004

I don't believe you will get any sub output when you are in bypass (analog) mode as this gives you nothing but tone (contour) and volume. If you run it in stereo then you will process and pull bass too send to your'e sub. Are you basing your'e comparison on both recievers with out sub? I for one don't believe there is a mass marketed product out there that sounds nearly as good as the Rotel's.

Comment

• phillipk
                • Aug 2004

While I'm sure there are a million variables, I added the RB1080 to my RSX 1056 and must say the difference is notable. My wife even noticed. I can't imagine you wouldn't like the sound better. Whether you're squeezing every last drop out of the current setup, I can't say.

Comment

• mave
                  • Dec 2004

I have the REL subwoofer HI Level connected, so it works together with the main speakers. Even when that's done there's very little bass compared to the tight/strong bass on the old Sony amp.
                  Probably the old Sony (at 21,4 KG weight (just checked) for just a stereo amp.) has better control over my 4 Ohm Chario speakers and therefore producing better results. It's just the bass. Midtone and highs sound prefectly detailed and open.

Did adding the 1080 result in significantly better bass ???

Thanks !

Comment

• Marcel B
                    • Nov 2004

I think it is better to state what type Sony you are using. When I read your original message my first idea was, like others, that there was something wrong in the setup of the Rotel.
                    But now I understand you're talking about a big Sony and then I see your point.
                    Of course you van use the Sony as power amplifier. Just connect the pre out from the Rotel to the Sony (eg the CD in) and set the volume at a fixed level when playing surround. (In the past I did this with an amplifier and 11 o 'clock was the right aetting, there is no need to set the volume of the Sony to max; setting it to max may introduce hiss)

Marcel B

Comment

• mave
                      • Dec 2004

Sorry for causing any confusion. I'll try to use the Sony as a power amp. and see what happens. If it works I think it'll still be better to add a realpower amp in the future. But... which amp ?? Will adding a Rotel solve the problem or should I go for another brand.... or is the bass "problem" always caused by the Rotel pre amp. and can no power amp ever solve this....

Thanks !

Comment

• phillipk
                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by mave

Did adding the 1080 result in significantly better bass ???

Thanks !
                        Yes... but I wasn't so much looking to improve a lacking bass. Rather, I just knew my speakers (Paradigm studio 60s) could sound much better. My adjectives to describe the difference are: richer, bigger (soundstage), more detailed. Also, very much more controlled at higher volumes.

I'll have to go back to no amplifier for a comparision some time.

Thanks,
                        Phillip

Comment

• Asterduc
                          • Dec 2004

Mave,
                          do the test with the Sony used as power amp. I just switched from an Accuphase E210 to the RSX 1056 and I don't feel the Rotel (playing 2 ch direct analog) having less bass than the Accuphase. The Accuphase was a little tighter, but using the DAC in the rotel (2 ch digital LFE) gives a much tighter bass than the Accuphase. Last year I tested the Accuphase with a heavy Sony ES (6 years old, 2x over 100 W) and found that the Sony had more bass, but it wasnt tight! It didn't sound as controlled as the Accuphase. So making the connection Sony ES - Accuphase - Rotel I would say that the Rotel has less bass than the Sony, but much tighter!!! especially in digital use and even more with HDCD.
                          I don't know if we understand the expresion "tight" right. To me "tight" is direct, controlled, easy to analise. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Adding a power amp like the 1080 will certianly improve bass response given its a hugh step up in power. As the others mentioned connect the pre outs from the front left and right speakers on the 1056 to an input on the Sony and see if that improves it. Assuming it does either leave the Sony where it is or replace it with a true power amp. The 1070 would be a little better but if you can I think we'd all agree that the 1080 is significantly better.

Comment

• Asterduc
                              • Dec 2004

Andrew,

Does the 1090 improve over the 1080?
                              The 1090 does have more power, but is it also an improvement in high-end quality?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

I would assume so but I've unfortunatly had the chance to listen to the 1090 in my home to compare

Comment

• mave
                                  • Dec 2004

I've added the Sony integrated. The sounds improves (better - tighter bass and more dynamics) but not as good as just the Sony in stereo. I think this is caused by the fact that the Sony needs very high volume before I hear anything now it's used as a power amp via the Rotel. I clearly hear noise through the speakers (especially in quiet moments in songs). Without this I most likely have the sound I want.

One question remains... is this improvement caused by the power section in the Sony or by the pre-amp section ?? If it's the power section I can assume that buying a power amp will solve the "problem".
                                  In other words... is the "problem" caused by the pre-amp in the Rotel or by the power amp. section ??

Thanks !

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"