X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rick c
    • Aug 2004

? about amps to receiver(rsx1056)

When adding an amp to a receiver rsx1056 should the amp be of the same mfr to keep the same "sound"characteristics or does it matter.Does the sound become that of the amp or does it maintain the sound of the receiver.I see many people that like the sound of their receiver yet they'll add an amp of a different mfr,instead of the same mfr.
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

It's a matter of personal preference and budget, some maintain Rotel's due to the bang for the buck, while others upgrade their amps (i.e. Bryston, Parasound, and even Classe), while maintaining their Rotel receivers/pre-pro. You need to listen and determine what's best for you.

Hope this helps,

Azeke

Comment

• shadow
      • Dec 2003

IMO the differences between solid state amps tend to be overemphasized in the various forums and magazines, as the differences tend to be subtle. Important thing is to get a high powered amp with low distortion and high output into low impedence loads.

Comment

• ApogeeUser
        • Oct 2004

rick,

My take is that if the front 3 speakers are identical then you should use the same amp. This applies to "almost identical" pairings too like b&w 805's + htm2's. A friend of mine ended up with a 1067 driving this combo. It sounded very integrated.

In my case my center channel even though it has a ribbon tweeter, it is not quite the same as my L/R. Besides, my L/R needs a lot of current that this entry level Rotel is hard pressed to supply, that's where the Classe comes in.

So it all depends on what you're driving.

Comment

• Fred7
          • Jul 2004

Its definately a matter of personal opinion. I use old Adcom amps (one 3/4 channel 2535 and one 2 channel 535) with my Paradigm setup and an NAD C272 and an NAD S250 for my Revel M20 setup. I use an RSX-1056 in each of these systems. I tried a bunch of amps and I just like these combinations the best. I thought that the NAD sounded ever so slightly better than my Rotel RMB-1075 with my Revel speakers (Don't kill me out there - I really like Rotel stuff but to me the NAD paired with the Revels just sounded a bit better). I've never had any of the Rotel 2 channel amps - I've heard that they sound a little different than the multi channel ones. Actually the amps in the Rotel receiver itself are pretty darn good. BTW, I see a lot of posts about hiss in the Rotel products. I've personally never experienced that problem but if you want to hear hiss you listen to those old Adcom amps up close! But from a reasonable listening distance they sound great to me.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"