X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rotelfan
    • Dec 2004

RSX 1055 questions

Posted this in a wrong forum....but here it goes again

Hi, I just purchased a demo RSX-1055 unit, and new to this club. I have a question regarding the volume control of the 1055 (I know it's been discussed before), but I don't understand why I have to turn the volume up more than half (50/90) in order to get the same equivalent loudness of my old Pioneer unit. Does it mean my unit is defective and not operating at 75watts per channel? Although I must admit that the sound is much cleaner, spacious ...I have a pair of Def Tech 2006s with the active sub.

The other question is would I see a bigger improvement in upgrading my analog interconnects or digital interconnects when listening to music? I have a pioneer 563 DVD player which has a decent DAC onboard.

Thanks, and I'm glad I found this club.
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

If it makes you feel better I calibrate my 1055 at 70 on the SPF meter and the volume level is at 65. I usually watch movies between 45 and 50. 55 if Im feeling like living dangerously (live in an apt).
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

It's all relative. 5 speakers in a closet, 50 would probably kill you. Put it in a high-school gym and you might not here it up in the stands..

Each company has there own way of doing things and unless both are based on an (accurate) negate Db scale you can't make a blanket comparison. The speakers, amplifiers, and even the sources can all have an effect on how loud XX is.

I also believe Rotel doesn't use quite a linear ramp rate either. So 1-45 is probably less of an increase as 46-90 is.

Reminds me of Spinal Tap, where they got the new amps that go to 11, instead of the 'old' ones that just maxed out at 10. When in reality it was just the same amp with a different knob.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"