X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Matt Sprouls
    • Apr 2003

Plans for a universal player?

Anyone have any info on a future universal player from Rotel?
    Regards,
    Matt
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

Haven't heard of any plans for the immediate future, but you'd think they would at least have considered or be in the process of considering just such an offering. Although I don't think that the average consumer is interested quite yet, the market is there for mid to high end enthusiasts. Look at all the interest in the Denon 2900. Mid to high enders are the ones that buy Rotel products for the most part anyway. It's not something that most people who shop for their audio equipment at Best Buys, Circuit City, Costcos, etc. would be buying, but I know there would be a lot of interest from people on this board, for instance.

Keith
    Keith

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

From what I understand Rotels going to take a wait and see on the whole SACD and DVD-A issue. Rotel really isn't large enough to gamble on researching and building a universal player esp since it would only be marketable to a select group...at least for now. I realize we'd like to see a nice audiophile level universal player from Rotel but I don't think we'll see it for awhile yet....at least that's my take on it...They might have something planned that I'm not aware of but honestly it would surprise me if they announced anything in the next little while.

Comment

• eelco74
        • Dec 2002

What I heard from my local dealer is that most vendors (like Denon and Rotel) were waiting for new quality chipsets to arrive. Until that time they were unable to build a universal player that would meet their standards.

It seems with the arrival of the burr brown DSD-1790 DACS, used in the dvd-2900 this issue is solved. So I would not be surprised if Rotel would develop a universal player and has already plans for it.

You never know, but waiting is always difficult :-)

Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
        Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
        Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• Barry Lieberman
          • Apr 2003

My Rotel rep tells me that a high end universal player should be available in Oct-Nov for around $2000.

This is still highly speculative, and I should have a better sense of it after CEDIA.

Barry Lieberman
          Audio Command Systems
          Boca Raton, FL

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Barry I'd be very surprised to see a universal player that soon as its not in line with what i've heard about their plans.

Comment

• jaakan
              • Dec 2002

Last time, I talked to the reps, universal player would be based on someone elses Transport ( I am guessing the Pioneer DV47 ) Like what Lexicon and Marantz did with their universals. I heard early 2004.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Barry I just got conformation from Rotel that the earliest we'll see a universal player is this time next year and that yes Pioneer's a very common source for transports in the industry at the moment (there's on a couple that make their own)

Comment

• Blue-Eyes
                  • Dec 2002

I wonder if the universal player can beat the cd capacities of the RCD991AE.

I'm allready waiting a very long time on a replacement for my RCD991AE............. It would be nice if it could be a Rotel. But I doubt if a universal player can play all standards very well.

------------------------------------------------------
                  Never drive faster than your Angel can fly!
                  ------------------------------------------------------
                  Never drive faster than your Angel can fly!

Comment

• Scarp
                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by jaakan
                    Last time, I talked to the reps, universal player would be based on someone elses Transport ( I am guessing the Pioneer DV47 ) Like what Lexicon and Marantz did with their universals. I heard early 2004.
                    The Marantz universal player is NOT based on a Pioneer. Just open one up and you'll see a big difference.

Most likely a Rotel universal player would be based on a Pioneer 757Ai, which would give it iLink possibilities, however they didn't put that in the RSP1098, which makes that useless.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"