X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Taco
    • May 2003

Biamping from a Rotel 1095 question

I posted a question here not long ago about biamping my B&W 802's with my 1095 and a new 1080. Someone made the suggestion to see how I liked biamping from my 1095 before purchasing the 1080. Well,
    I finally got around to trying it by using my L and R and L Rear and R rear on my 1095 to biamp and for some reason the mid and tweeter sounded muffled. Did I misunderstand what I was suppose to do? Thanks for your help.
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Can you explain how you wired these up? i.e. what sort of interconnects, splitters, speaker wire etc did you use? I'm surprised it sounded worse unless you used some shoddy splitter or something which I doubt you did.

Comment

• Taco
      • May 2003

Hi Andrew,

I've tried so many different combos that at this point I'm not sure what caused what. Could you or someone explain or give me a link to a quick study on biamping . . . specifically from a multi-channel amp like my 1095?

Thanks.

Comment

• Danbry39
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2002

Taco,

You might try this link.

I think you're most interested in passive crossover bi-amping. If you scroll down, there is a link to just such a process, including a diagram. It's not short, but comprehensive.

Here is a simpler version, although I think I noticed a mistake with the diagram in that three of the leads move from positive to positive and negative to negative and the fourth moves from possitive to negative and from negative to positive. You'll see what I mean when you go to the link and look at the diagrams. I just don't understand why it would be done this way (as they illustrate) and think they just made a mistake, but, having never bi-amped myself, don't know for sure.

Link 2

Keep in mind though that not everyone agrees on the benefits of biamping, especially passive crossover bi-amping.

Keith
        Keith

Comment

• Taco
          • May 2003

Thanks. The second link was definitely easier to understand. I guess this means that I need some kind of "Y" shaped interconnects to run from the preamp to the multi-channel amp? I'm absolutely ignorant when it comes to cabling. :roll:

Let me know what interconnects I need. Thanks again.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Yes what you need is some way of getting two RCA outs for the main channels. There are two ways of doing this...one is to buy a splitter that has a male RCA on one end and two females on the other or buy a splitter that has a female on one end and two males on the other...it won't matter much which way you go but I prefer the female to two males approach. Anyway with the spittler all you're going to do is plug one of each of the two arms into two channels of the amp and then attach an interconnect from this splitter to connect it to the Rotel's pre out for the left or right channel...with me so far? (here's an image of a splitter)

Alright now all you need to do is run a speaker cable from each of the two channels on the amp to the top and bottom inputs on the back of your speaker....remember to remove the metal plate that joins the two binding posts on the speaker first though or you'll short out the amp which isn't good

Comment

• Taco
              • May 2003

OK got it. Thanks.

Comment

• Energeezer
                • Sep 2002

I've got a question re bi amp as well.
                How much performance is lost w/o outboard crossovers using bi wire speakers or do you have to have the crossovers before the speakers?
                Second link doen't work for me

The Future of HT lies in FP SPREAD THE WORD

Comment

• Danbry39
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Sep 2002

Sorry about the second link Energeezer. It worked and now we get an access denied. I'll try again, here.

If it goes out again, just do a google search on bi-amping and it should be at the top of the list.

Keith
                  Keith

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

How much you loose depends on the crossover. I noticed a nice performance gain with my speakers when I bi amped them with a couple of channels from my HK amps

Comment

• Energeezer
                      • Sep 2002

Keith
                      Thanks it works now.
                      Here is a link to a site that allows you to shorten links and prevents many broken links.

Thought you may find that interesting

Comment

• Danbry39
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Sep 2002

Thanks Energeezer,

The link is now bookmarked.

Keith
                        Keith

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"