X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kudeta
    • Sep 2004

Got my new RCD 1072 today

After the birth of my first child here in Australia, the government kindly gives all parents a "Baby Bonus" of AUD $3000. Some of this I spent to better provide audio enlightening enjoyment for my new little girl. At least that is what I am telling myself anyway.
    Hooked it up to my RSX 1055 with a silver digital bought through the wonderful Cat cables after the glowing reviews it recieved and I have to say it sounds absolutely brilliant. I even went to the effort of making my own 12V trigger Cable out of some Mono 3.5mm Mini Plugs and some shielded single core audio wire. My first ever DIY Cable. Watch out Lex I might be on to something. Cost me $1.90AUD to make and about 20 mins of my time including travel to do so. And it even works.

Back to the CD Player, I havent really had a chance to turn up the volume due to the chance of waking a sleeping baby or copping a slap or knock from my lovely wife. But it sounds superb at easy listening volume. Extremely clear and adding a depth that my DVD player didnt provide. I just cnt wait to crank it when I am home alone.

Thanks to all on the forum for giving this Player such glowing reviews

My only quick question is, would the DAC in the CD player be better than in the RSX 1055? Should I use Analog interconnects instead of Digital?
    Leigh
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Kudeta,

Two beautiful babies in the house to enjoy at once! (and I bet they both make fine music for late night listening!)

Congratulations on them both!

My only quick question is, would the DAC in the CD player be better than in the RSX 1055? Should I use Analogue interconnects instead of Digital?
    Bottom line - yes the DAC in the CD player is better BUT you will only enjoy it with both high quality analogue cables and your RSX 1055 set to pure stereo (i.e. bypass) no subwoofer no nothing... Otherwise the RSX (like all other receivers and processors) will digitise the analogue input to to bass processing, create 5 channel sound or whatever (and then convert the digital back to analogue again with its own DACs...

I've ended up with both Digital and Analogue connections to separate device inputs - I use Analogue for pure stereo listening and digital for anything else!

Geoff

Comment

• JDH
      • Sep 2004

Just out of interest how much did you pay for the 1072? also where did you purchase it? My wife and I are up for the baby bonus early next month, however it has already been allocated for airfares for my wifes parents who will be comming from Europe, staying with us for approx. 6 months. 8O

In terms of whether the Receiver or CD player is better, I would suspect the CD player is better, however if you have a spare good quality lead then try both to confirm for yourself.
      Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• Cracking Oboe
        • May 2004

Originally posted by Aussie Geoff
        Kudeta,

I've ended up with both Digital and Analogue connections to separate device inputs - I use Analogue for pure stereo listening and digital for anything else!

Geoff
        Kudeta,

I've done the same thing, with great results. :T The Analogue connection is better for two channel listening. The digital out is better for 5.1 channel, or the occasional disc that requires some base management.

Congratulations on both of your new arrivals. You have to be one of the happiest people around right now.

Cracking!

Comment

• kudeta
          • Sep 2004

JDH I paid $799 at Frankston hifi in Victoria
          Leigh

Comment

• kudeta
            • Sep 2004

Aussie Geoff,
            When you say that you use digital for anything else, do you mean for your DVD player or for when you might like to listen to a CD and have your processor transform the stereo into DPLII?
            Alternatively do you run the digital when using the 1075 and the analogue whe using the 1080?

As for the late night listening I like your commment on both babies making some fine music. At times they are both beautiful but I can handle one type longer than the other!!!!

But dont get me wrong I am loving the sound through the Cat silver digital, but am wondering how much difference the silver kingcats would make?

For those of you considering a dedicated CD player without spending serious$$$$
            I highly recommend the RCD 1072
            Cheers
            Kudeta
            Leigh

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2003

Kudeta,

I have both the Silver Digital and (more recently) the Silver Kingcats upgraded with the same LOK Silverpoints as the Silver Digital. Both are connected to my RCD-1072 and to two different device inputs on my processor. That way if I select one device - I get Analogue Stereo as the default - If I select the other device I get Digital Coax with ProLogic Music on 7.1 sound and the full power of my subwoofers... Both great in their ways

Geoff

Comment

• kudeta
                • Sep 2004

Thanks aussie Geoff for clearing that up. I might give it a try

kudeta
                Leigh

Comment

• EAmin
                  • Aug 2004

I got my 1072 today as well. Very nice player. I can hear the difference in audio between CDs played in the 1072 and CDs played in my Pioneer universal. Very happy with the purchase.

The only thing I don't like is the remote --- it doesn't have a power button on it. So I have to turn it on manually. Additionally, I cannot train my Harmony remote to turn it on and off either. Same thing goes for RT-1080 tuner I got.

Comment

• kudeta
                    • Sep 2004

EAmin, I suggest you rig up a 12v trigger cable for the 1072 so it will start up with your 1098, and no power button problem solved, but it does mean that whenever your pre/pro is on so is your 1072. see my first post on how to make your own if needed or another option is to buy a mono 3.5mm mini plug cable. You can get stereo plugs but I was told mono was better. Cost me $1.90 AUD to make my own, thats about $1.50US. Simple and cheap solution
                    Good luck, tell us how you went
                    Kudeta
                    Leigh

Comment

• Jason Brown
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by kudeta
                      EAmin, I suggest you rig up a 12v trigger cable for the 1072 so it will start up with your 1098, and no power button problem solved, but it does mean that whenever your pre/pro is on so is your 1072.
                      Not necessarily. You can assign the trigger connected to the 1072 to only turn on when the 1098 is in CD mode.

Comment

• kudeta
                        • Sep 2004

How do you do this, would like to know. I only have the 1055 though.
                        Much appreciated
                        Leigh

Comment

• whmacs
                          • Oct 2003

Hi Kudeta,
                          Not sure about the 1055, but on the 1098 you have 4 triggers (3 + a zone 2) to play with. You can tell the 1098 that when CD input is selected active triggers (1+2) for example. In my case trigger 1 turns on both my power amps while trigger 2 turns on my 1072.

cheers,
                          Stephen
                          My Home Theatre

Comment

• EAmin
                            • Aug 2004

Thanks guys! I'm going to try the trigger on my 1098 when going to CD. I'm going to try it on my RT-1080 tuner when the 1098 goes to tuner.

Thanks for the great suggestion!

Comment

• hammergjh
                              • Nov 2004

Conventional wisdom is to leave all SS gear on 24/7. I do. I've got the same Rotel feeding a Krell integrated. It makes a difference leaving them both powered on. I'm not sure if the CDP is more adversley affected by powering off or if the Krell integrated is. But if I leave them off for a while (several days on vaca for example) I can't get my system to sound good until all components have been on for a few days! No kidding. Screw the trigger and leave 'em on.

Hammer

Comment

• thyname
                                • Jan 2005

Congratulations Kudeta and EAmin on purchasing the RCD-1072. I just ordered one myself for USD 650, it is coming in 1-2 weeks. I am planning to couple it with my Rotel RX-1052 stereo receiver for listening to CD audio only. I know that I have to buy some quality interconnectors though. Any suggestions on what are the best connectors for these two components out there!??? I plan to spend a little over USD 50.

Comment

• benny
                                  • Jan 2005

I leave my components on all time as well. If I have to power up the system after it being turned off, I can tell a huge difference in sound.

thyname- Don't shortchange your purchase with cheap interconnects. I'm using Audioquest rca's (sold for around $130 US) to connect my Rotel gear and the sound is much improved over cheaper Monster Cables. Much warner sound with less harshness.

Comment

• audiofan
                                    • May 2004

i use cobaltcable and signalcable . They are good and have decent price.

Comment

• thyname
                                      • Jan 2005

Hey audiofan, I visited signal cable and cobalt cable websited and they look decent with a good price. Any specific model of them you suggest? They have several interconnects with different prices.
                                      thanx!!

Comment

• audiofan
                                        • May 2004

cobaltcable has a new line of ultimate interconnect ( i believe , there is only one type) with locking RCA. For Signalcable, i'm ordering analog 2. Cobaltcable has 90 days guaranty. If you're not happy with it, return the cable within 90 days , no shipping fee. I think you can't go wrong with either.

Comment

• thyname
                                          • Jan 2005

Thanx audiofan, I appreciate it! Any idea if catcables are better?

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Oct 2003

Thyname and Audiofan,

Please continue this via PMs - not posting - you are close to breaking one of the few taboos on the site - which is detailed cable discussions, especialy those that get down to web brands. The forum sponsor CatCables (very understandably) does not allow more than generic discussiona (no links etc) of other web base cable brands as from long experience they more than often turn nasty / unproductive.

Feel free to PM away about cables!

Have a look at the posting guidelines sticky at the top of this forum for more info!

Geoff

Comment

• audiofan
                                              • May 2004

sorry Aussie Geoff, i will. I almost forgot... I should have obeyed the rule.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Oct 2003

Audiofan,

Not a problem :T

Happy posting and PMing...

and (of course) listening and enjoying music and HT :banana:

Geoff

Comment

• thyname
                                                  • Jan 2005

I just ordered Silvercats interconnects from Doug yesterday. I spoke with him over the phone and he was very hopeful. I can't wait until they arrive..

Comment

• audiofan
                                                    • May 2004

What speakers do you have? I'm looking for some of the options for new speaker. I like Totem Forrest, but it's out of my range. Aperion PT (power tower) looks attracting, but not sure how it sounds. I have Axiom M60 now, but it will be moving to another room for HT only.

So , any suggestion or idea? my budget is from 1200 - 2000 max.

thanks.

Comment

• thyname
                                                      • Jan 2005

I have JBLs Floor E60 speakers, I know they are not as good, but I don't have too much money to upgrade right now. Probably in 6 months I would try to trade them in for some B&W or Boston Acoustics, which I have seen at M-E. All in good time. I think Audiofan that with USD2000 you could buy great speakers!!

Comment

• audiofan
                                                        • May 2004

thyname, I've been saving for so long.. and I don't want to keep upgrading little by little. I had this experience when bought photography stuffs. So I guess, i'd better buy a good one . I actually am going to order Aperion power tower speaker and try out at home. From the spec, it looks pretty good, but final decision is still based on listening in my own home...

Comment

• thyname
                                                          • Jan 2005

Anybody knows where to buy a 12v trigger cable? I have RX-1052 stereo receiver and RCD-1072 cd player. I understand that with a trigger cable I can turn cd Pl. off through the receiver, but I don't know which is the right cable to do this. I hate getting up and turning CD player off at the unit. Any other input on how to use 12v trigger with my equipment will be highly appreciated!!

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                            • Nov 2004

all you need to do is find a place that sells 3.5mm mini plugs (male on both ends).

I believe this is exactly what you need, shouldn't cost much.

Though this is stereo and not mono (coudn't find the mono one on their website), but it gives you the idea.

Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                                            -Dan

Comment

• NewBuyer
                                                              • Feb 2005

The stereo ones work too, not just the mono.

Comment

• thyname
                                                                • Jan 2005

I got one today (mono, from RadioShack), hooked it up and worked!!! Anytime I press Off on my rx-1052 remote, CD pl. turns off (nothing on screen) but the nice little light is still on.

Thank you guys for the suggestion, I had been missing a very convenient feature in my system.

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                                  • Nov 2004

Good to hear thyname!

Yeah that blue light has messed with me a few times...where I think the equipment is on, or off and it's the opposite. I have been setting my TFT display on my 1098 to sleep mode, and when it shuts off, it looks like the systems off, but if I hit it to open on then it doesn't do anything.

I wish the light would go dimmer when it's on and brighter when off (or vice versa) so you would at least know whether it's on or off.. Something to indicate it's in standby mode... Oh well!
                                                                  Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                                                  -Dan

Comment

Working...
                                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                  Search Result for "|||"