X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ejfiii
    • May 2003

No sound from DTS soundtrack on 1065

I was finally done setting up for the night and wanted to watch a short DTS dvd clip. After selecting DTS on the DVD, the 1065 showed DTS on the front panel, but I got no sound.

Any settings I am missing?

Thanks in advance.

E. J.

My HT
    My HT
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

ejfiii,

Will it play Dolby Digital? The Rotel should automatically switch over to DTS. And, unless I'm still in my early morning fog, if it plays DD fine, then it should detect and play DTS. The Rotel is receiving the signal as indicated by the display which also means that you have selected the correct input, right? You turned on the power amp I'm sure. I only mention that because I forgot to do so when connecting a new piece of equipment once and wondered why no sound came out. I'm stumped for now. Have to be off to the dentist and a couple of errands. Anyone?

Keith
    Keith

Comment

• wng
      • Dec 2002

I'm not sure, either. If the 1065 flashed DTS, then it's getting a DTS signal from the DVD player. I was going to suggest checking the DVD player's internal setup and making sure DTS output is on. You're using the 1065 as a receiver and not as a pre/pro with an outboard amp, right?

Comment

• Danbry39
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2002

I knew I was groggy this morning. ops: My brain read 1066, rather than 1065. Yes, so unless you're using a dedicated power amp, turning the amp on wouldn't be a consideration. Duh. Anyway, thanks wng.

ejfiii,

What are you using to connect the DVD player to your Rotel?

Keith
        Keith

Comment

• Mark_C.
          • Jan 2003

Check the DVD player's setup menu. Make sure DTS is turned on.

Comment

• ejfiii
            • May 2003

sorry for the delay guys. The damn cable company has to do a new drop to the house to get the cable modem to work - hopefully done tomorrow.

Anyway, the 1065 is set up with a 2 channle amp for the fronts and a two channel for the 6 and 7 center back channels. They are all on and functioning fine. On the DVD menu, you can select DTS or regular (which is DD). When I select DTS, the flag is read by the 1065 and the on screen status changes to DTS and the front display also relfects this change. But there is no sound from the system. I checked it again to make sure, and it was still doing it. The only thing I didn't try was skipping into the film a few chapters to see if it was just the first chapter that was the problem.

Thanks for the help.

E. J.

My HT
            My HT

Comment

• Mark_C.
              • Jan 2003

Don't just check the DVD menu....Check the DVD Player's setup menu. Often, DTS capability is shut off in DVD players until you manually order it to play DTS.

Comment

• ejfiii
                • May 2003

Okay, I have DTS set to on in the dvd menu, I think the problem may be a setting for PCM downconversion. There is a 96KHz audio sampling rate. I have not changed that that I can remember. I assume I want this set to 'no' so it outputs at 96KHz? It says this is the factory preset, so I would imagine it would be correct.

If anyone cares, here is a screenshot of the proper part of the manual:

I will try again tonight to make sure it is set correctly, but it makes sense to me that it is if it can decoded DD.

Thanks again,

E. J.

My HT
                My HT

Comment

• Scarp
                  • Mar 2003

Set "PCM downconversion" to "NO", since the Rotel can handle this input.

Set both DTS and DD digital surround to "Bitstream". This will make the Rotel receiver decode the signals (which is normally what you want).

Comment

• ejfiii
                    • May 2003

Okay, tried last night. All DVD settings were correct. Started playing the DTS version and no sound. Skipped a few chapters and it worked. Pushed stop and play again and it worked. I don't know if there was a delay in seeing the DTS flag from the dvd player, or if it was the first time the Rotel had seen DTS so it caused a delay? I think I also pushed the right arrow on the remote to check for new settings and that might have forced it the first time? Who knows, but it now works.

Thanks to all for the help.

E. J.

My HT
                    My HT

Comment

• ezc
                      • May 2003

I have had my 1065 not play on dts mode. One of the first dvd's I played when i got my 1065 was Eagles HFO in dts. I got the pic & no sound, the rec. read dts on the front panel. After switching to cd than tuner & back to dvd the sound was there. I notice that using dts somtimes there is a delay for the reciver to start playing dts. I'm almost sure that my problem happens on the same dvd's. I have many dvd's that have dts & the 1065 has no problem but there is the few that almost always gives me a problem playing dts. When I run into the problem I first switch the reciver to tuner or cd than back to dvd, if that didnt fix it I eject the dvd & put it back in & start over. Once the 1065 starts playing & locks into the signal no problem at all. I dont think it is a reciever problem it may be just the way the dvd was mastered or the way my dvd player sends the flag to the reciver. To me its not a big problem it dosnt happen often. My Onkyo also has done that a few times & I have a different dvd player connected to it, leaving me to believe that it may be the mastering of the dvd itself.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"