X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hemifever
    • Oct 2004

Wish I had some DVI's on my Rotels

I wish the 1060 DVD player or 1067 receiver had some dvi connections so I could take advantage of a tad more video on my 52" DLP Mitsu. I haven't looked at, but have heard of a component to dvi converter. Are they worth anything or will it hurt my video appearance?
  • TTA89
    • Oct 2004

The cool thing with DVI is the ability to upconvert the signals which you can't typically do with component. Getting a converter won't really do anything.

Having the ability to adjust 480p, 720p and 1080i rocks

Rotel seems to be behind the ball on these player as far as I can tell. Alot of people have been buying the Denon 1910 and 2910 players.
    -Mike

My Home Theater Gear

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I think it would be more accurate to say Denon's ahead of everyone else then that Rotel is behind when you look at the state of the industry as a whole. Rotel simply can't afford to be on the bleeding edge.

Comment

• dermie999
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
        Rotel simply can't afford to be on the bleeding edge.
        I for one think that is the best approach. I like the certainty of buying Rotel knowing that I am getting a quality product. Invariably when you're on the (b)leading edge you're debugging as well. Let the early adopters do the debugging!

Comment

• TTA89
          • Oct 2004

Well Samsung had a DVI player out over a year ago as well as a company called Bravo (The D1 Player). Since then Zeinith and Denon have come into play as well as a company called Momitsu. I think there are 1 or 2 more floating around out there as well.

As far as I'm concered these players make everything else outdated. If you have a DVI/HDMI connection you need to start looking around at what they can do.
          -Mike

My Home Theater Gear

Comment

• sikoniko
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2003

The problem is that DVI is short lived anyways. Look for HDMI. Rotel knows this and is waiting.
            I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• TTA89
              • Oct 2004

I don't understand why. I mean HDMI carries Audio as well as Video... Who is running Video to there TV or Projector?

It doesn't really matter, there are convertors back and forth for DVI and HDMI.
              -Mike

My Home Theater Gear

Comment

• nash
                • Mar 2004

I have a Samsung 931 upconverting DVI player which is (thankfully) being replaced with a Denon 2910 this week. I'll stick to Rotel for my audio, but like Andrew said, Rotel doesn't have the resources to be bleeding edge in most arenas, especially dvd players.

What I'd really like to see from Rotel in their next pre/pro line, though, is HDMI switching. With DVD players/set top boxes/next gen consoles (xbox 2)/etc all going to HDMI, we're all going to need HDMI switching soon. The main reason I haven't upgraded my 1066 to a 1068 is because I'm waiting on the next Rotel processor announcement in hopes that it has HDMI switching (or DVI, but I'd figure they would skip right to HDMI).

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

HDMI is or will soon be the standard and I'd bet its what Rotel will use to digitally connect the source to the pre amp's etc. As for the current crop of DVI players with the exception of the Denon's the Bravo's etc are very niche market players that are buggy and not something any of use would be happy to see with a Rotel logo on the front

Comment

• MattCXII
                    • Feb 2004

I disagree,

I don't think it is fair to compair a mid-fi product like Rotel, to a low grade product such as a Bravo, or zeinith. We need to compair it to the Denon's and the Elite players. There are a lot of great players out there that have DVI/HDMI. The only reason why HDMI will become the standard is not because it feeds a better video signal than DVI, it's because it is more secure. The networks want a secure digital signal and HDMI will provide them this copy protection. I think Rotel needs to get on board with DVI/HDMI as well as a universal player.... it's the way the market is flowing.

It is not unfair to ask Rotel to get into the game. I love my Rotel gear and would love a Rotel DVD/CD player too. I wont buy one until I can get a little more "bang" for my buck. I do not consider the 1072 much bang for my buck considering what I could get in a 3910 universal player for just a little more cash.

It's time Rotel got with the times and started competing in these markets as well.

My two cents.

M.

Comment

• TTA89
                      • Oct 2004

[QUOTE=nash]I have a Samsung 931 upconverting DVI player which is (thankfully) being replaced with a Denon 2910 this week.

QUOTE]

I have the 931 as well and have been considering the 2910. What do you say Thankfully your upgrading? What don't you like about it?

Other than its SLOW to load DVDs its a pretty decent player for $220 bucks or whatever I paid a year ago. I'll put it up against anything Rotel has as far as PQ goes.

I hear the 2910 has even better PQ, which will just be amazing as well as great sound which is a big bonus.
                      -Mike

My Home Theater Gear

Comment

• Kevin D
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Oct 2002

The bang for the buck goes away when you calculate the how much each player would increase in cost by adding the HDMI quickly. You're looking at R&D, license's, and manufacturing. Rotel is following the right track for as small of a company as they are.

They probably ARE designing an HDMI player as we speak, but the lead time for them is usually about 1 year. With 2-3 higher end manufacturers having a DVI/HDMI player right now, Rotel will be right in line when everyone else has one.

If Rotel jumped when a few companies added scalers on the component outs of their players, Rotel would have lost because about 6 months into their R&D they would have found out you can now only do that on a digital connection. Then if they jumped on the DVI trend, 6 months in to R&D, oops, got to go HDMI now..

Do to the limited production size, they have to wait until its a pretty good chance what ever new feature comes out will stick. And then add 1 year to that for R&D and production. You can't compare Rotel to Pioneer's R&D, I'm sure they could go from idea to reality in as little as 2 months.

Kevin D.

Comment

• aaron
                          • Aug 2004

Skip the connection to the pre or receiver alltogether. Go right to the TV. The inconvenience is minor.

By the time Rotel comes out with a player with the connection, we may be well into HD DVD or BluRay by then.

And finally, most high end TV's now have their own upconverters that are as good or better than what is in many dvd players out there that upconvert. Run component from a quality player into a high end TV that does its own upconversion and I bet you would be quite impressed with the results.

Comment

• nash
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by TTA89
                            I have the 931 as well and have been considering the 2910. What do you say Thankfully your upgrading? What don't you like about it?
                            It's slow loading (as you mentioned), has an awful remote (I use a universal so that doesn't matter), has lip synch problems on DTS audio, crushes black and has too much EE, forces stretch on 4:3 discs, and mine "hiccups" every few minutes where the picture shifts slightly off and then back - a minor but annoying glitch. When it came out, the picture still blew away anything else when hooked up to a DLP tv, so it was a no brainer. I always knew it would be a temporary player until a more mature DVI player came out.

The 2910 supposedly offers a better picture and should cure all the other problems I listed above. Not to mention it will have considerably better audio output compared to the Samsung, and can play DVD-A (not really a concern for me). I'll let you know how it turns out when the 2910 arrives on Monday.

Comment

• hemifever
                              • Oct 2004

I've got the Mitsubishi 52" DLP (actually has an HDMI connection though I was complaining about DVI's). The specs states the TV converts everything to a 720p.

Comment

• nash
                                • Mar 2004

TTA89, my 2910 arrived today and is definitely an upgrade over the 931. Since it's offtopic, shoot me a PM if you want more details. I give it the thumbs up

Comment

• TTA89
                                  • Oct 2004

Make a new post with a review so we can all see I need an SACD player and if the PQ is better than the 931 then double home run :T
                                  -Mike

My Home Theater Gear

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

Nash post a review in the HT area please as I'm sure the membership at large would be interested in your thoughts.

Comment

• rcchap
                                      • Jan 2004

FYI

Thank you for your email. At this time, Rotel has no plans to introduce
                                      any new models or revisions with HDMI or DVI ports in the near future.

Regards,
                                      Amy Dattilo
                                      Rotel of America

On Nov 18, 2004, at 12:17 PM, ChrCha wrote:

Hello,

I just wanted to ask if there are any plans for adding hdmi to your
                                      processors? I love your equipment but that is the only issue keeping
                                      me from upgrading to the 1098. I am itching to upgrade and would hate
                                      to switch from Rotel. Maybe if you had a time line on when hdmi would
                                      be available I could hold on a little longer.

Anxiously waiting your reply,

Chris

Comment

• KEN KAZ
                                        • Oct 2004

my dealer says a HDMI switching module is in the works. It will connect to a 1068 or a 1098 though the rs232 port.
                                        Last edited by KEN KAZ; 18 November 2004, 23:54 Thursday. Reason: typo

Comment

• Noddy
                                          • Dec 2004

Ok.....this thread has me thinking that i might cancell the order for the rotel 1060 dvd/cd player and possibly order the denon 2910 instead.

I take it from the previous posts that hdmi is a format that will become the std in all dvd players so it may be better to spend my bucks on it.

The 2910 and the rotel 1060 are the same price here in OZ so there is no worries about spending more dollars going to the denon.

What are your opinions between the two, is the denon a better buy?

Also what is the denon like for two channel listening?

sorry for sidetracking the thread a little bit.

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"