X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hciman77
    • Oct 2004

Rotel RCD975 worth a try ?

I am trying to get a second CDP as a backup. I currently have a RoteL RCD-02. I was considering a Rotel RCD975 as they seem to be available for about $250 - is this a reasonable price to pay?, some folks on Audiogon are asking $350+ .

Would this be a reasonable backup CDP , it does not have to be as good as the RCD-02 although if it is nearly as good I would be happy. What other Rotels are worth considering, I do not want to spend more than $250 otherwise I would consider upgrading to the 1072 and using the 02 as a backup, though I understand that the 02 and 1072 share a fair number of components (?)

Cheers

Jim
    Tea break over back on your heads
  • eelco74
    • Dec 2002

I had one for many years and I liked it a lot. I has a way better transport (philips CDM-9) than the rcd-02. I also has dual Philips DA converters and a nice power supply. It was Rotels top model at around 1998.

I would not be surprised it can beat the RCD-02. I eventually bought a Denon 2900 to replace it, but the Rotel still sounded a bit better with CD. If only I had more rackspace.....
    Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
    Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
    Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• hciman77
      • Oct 2004

Originally posted by eelco74
      I had one for many years and I liked it a lot. I has a way better transport (philips CDM-9) than the rcd-02. I also has dual Philips DA converters and a nice power supply. It was Rotels top model at around 1998.

I would not be surprised it can beat the RCD-02. I eventually bought a Denon 2900 to replace it, but the Rotel still sounded a bit better with CD. If only I had more rackspace.....

Thanks for the reply. I dont disbelieve you about it being better than the 02 -the 02 is after all somewhat cheaper ($500 vs $750) than the 975, though I would have hoped that the technological advances(?) since 1995 would have meant better players for less moolah, maybe not . Certainly the transport on the 02 (imho) is a bit suspect, mine had to be fixed as it was clicking away like a cicada on the pull, still Rotel fixed it for free even though it was out of warranty (kudos to Rotel).
      Tea break over back on your heads

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"