X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • elhefe
    • May 2011

Musical Fidelity First IEM EB50 - Review

Following the new suggestion of giving reviews, allow me to kick off with what I guess if MF's cheapest product, their first own IEM.

This is MF first attempt in IEM devices and so far, a month usage of it shows how Anthony Michaelson hifi philosophy have been applied in the design.

I got to know about MF plans of producing earphones and headphones sometime in July 2012 in which I saw a few pictures of the prototypes of the designs. There were 3 headphones and 1 IEM. The highest grade headphones was in nice brown leather.

Anyway, MF then decided to delay the headphones production till end of Q1 this year (thats what I have been told) but they released their EB50 IEM in Oct 2012. I got a pair sometime in mid Nov.

So after about 1.5 months of usage, I must say that MF have hit the certain right notes on the design.

Specifications

Sensitivity: 100dB SPL/mW (1kHz)
    Impedance: 26 Ohms ±15%
    Max input power: 11mW (rated power 5mW)
    Frequency range: 10Hz-20kHz
    Distortion: <1%
    Noise Isolation: better than 96%
    Driver: 6mm balanced armature
    Weight: 28g
    Cable length: 1.2M
    3.5mm Gold plated Stereo jack plug
    Microphone and answer button included

Built

MF claims that the design on this IEM was based their own internal deisgn and not a copy from other IEM manufacturer. To achieve this, they went back to the drawing board and create a product from the ground up, utilising new technology along the way.

I particularly like the thin and lightweight cables that they use, eliminating the 'fatigue' of having heavy cables hanging from your ears. The earpiece itself is designed such that its interchangeable between left and right ears usage. There is no specific designation on which side is left and which side is right apart from the different colour of 'screws' on them. One side comes with red colours ''screws' and the other side is in blue.

They also use military-grade aluminium for the outer casing, which offers a strong yet anti-resonance body that is the ideal mounting for the capsule. (Wow.... a bit far fetch I suppose but I guess it will help to prolong the life of this IEM)

The cable also comes with iPhone friendly mic which delievers crispy clear phone conversation. I tried it with iPhone 5 and 4S and it work perfectly on both.

It also comes with a cable strap to manage the cable during storage in its pouch or in your pocket.

Flexibility

For perfect sealing within the ear canal, seven pairs of ear tips are included for personal preference. Also included are fittings for a tighter fit to the ear as well as a carry pouch for safe transportation.

I find the following tip best suits me.

Sound

It can easily be driven directly from any portable players or laptops. As IEM is more for portability, I mainly tested it with my iPhone 5 and 4S. I repeatedly listen to Hotel California by The Eagle (Live version) and also recently I was hit by a preference towards Hindi songs (weird? Not quite due to the percussion behind hindi songs and also the shrieking high frequency of some of their female singers)... So I also played Chori Chori Hum Gori Se and Bole Chudiyan.

Hotel California overall presentation was bit flat to my liking, especially for a live version of this song. The vocal was a bit on the harsh side but not painful to hear as the bass from this IEM balances the high freq shortcomings. Separation of musical instrument however is what I like best about this IEM. There some 'hidden' percussion beats that I did not hear on my previous Shure IEM.

Bole Chudiyan on the other hand did not come out to be as 'shrieking' as I thought it would. For those who are not familiar with this song, the female singer high pitch voice can be a bit deafening if played on the wrong hifi system or IEM. but with this IEM, (I guess due to the design emphasizing on bass), it overshadows the shrieking effect of this female voice. It was well balanced which made me really enjoy this song on this IEM.

Chori Chori then gave me a good exposure to what thie IEM can do when it comes to bass. It provides good solid and controlled bass. Even at higher volumes, no sign of stress on the IEM and also no sign excessive vibration or distorted drivers.

Vocal however does not sound lively. It does not give me the melodious feeling that I usually get from The Eagles and Hindi singers.

Conclusions

Its not an all rounder or balanced IEM. It does very good in the bass department with good control and detail and not overwhelming. Vocal is definitely not its strongest element where it can sound a bit flat. It does provide a more detailed sound wit regards to musical instrument compared to my Shure IEM.

IEM market is a tough one to breakthrough but I feel MF started off on the right track. For this particular EB50 model, it faces a tough challenge from other IEM brands especially in the likes of Sennheiser, Klipsch etc.

So, to me, it suits best for someone who is looking for warm bass sound and not particular with vocals.

It is priced at GBP149 in the UK.
    HiFi: ClearAudio Concept TT, Musical Fidelity M6i amp and M6 DAC, M1s (PWR,CDT, CLiC, ViNL), SONY MDSJA20ES MDP, ProAc D18 with full Siltech cabling.

HeadFi: Beyerdynamic T1 and Oppo HA-1

HT: Samsung 65" Curve LED, OPPO BDP 95-EU, Yamaha RX-V2067, PMC twenty 23 front and Centre, Wharfedale WH2, SVS Sub, with full QED cabling
  • alebonau
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

a very interesting read elHefe, on what is no doubt a first off product of kind from musical fidelity, not aware of them ever producing a product of this type. good to hear its not just a rebadged oem item as would be easy to do, but they have gone to some effort to develop for themselves. and sounds like with the quality of build etc it is a high class product. I'm liking that it is on the warm side of things. especially since so many in ear devices such as this can often be on the bright shrill side instead. In intriguing that they have also included a microphone and answer button on it as well, meaning can have a quite practical everyday use with iphone/smart phones and such. Also like they go through trouble of providing various/size shape of ear pieces to cater for different peoples needs. very thoughtfull.

especially since with my iphone I just use the apple in ear phones, definitely will head out see if these mf ones available where I am, sounds like a pretty interesting item
    "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• Audio_ElF
      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by elhefe
      Following the new suggestion of giving reviews, allow me to kick off with what I guess if MF's cheapest product, their first own IEM.
      [...snip...]
      It is priced at GBP149 in the UK.
      Great review. Though wrong in the first sentance - various V series products are cheaper :-)

Eloise

Comment

• elhefe
        • May 2011

Originally posted by Audio_ElF
        Great review. Though wrong in the first sentance - various V series products are cheaper :-)

Eloise
        Thanks...I guess you are right... I think the V-Link II is the cheapest product at GBP 119.
        HiFi: ClearAudio Concept TT, Musical Fidelity M6i amp and M6 DAC, M1s (PWR,CDT, CLiC, ViNL), SONY MDSJA20ES MDP, ProAc D18 with full Siltech cabling.

HeadFi: Beyerdynamic T1 and Oppo HA-1

HT: Samsung 65" Curve LED, OPPO BDP 95-EU, Yamaha RX-V2067, PMC twenty 23 front and Centre, Wharfedale WH2, SVS Sub, with full QED cabling

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Nice review. :T
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"