X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gargamel
    • Aug 2004

THX-ultra 2?

Hi there.
    I recently upgraded my system to a 7.1 when I purchased the RDC-7 about 2 months ago.
    I always use the THX-2 ultra setting, but when the signal is thx-ex or DTS 6.1 I have my doubts as to what setting would be best.
    I hear that it sounds better when you stick to the original, that is, if you have a thx-EX signal set the RDC-7 to that mode and so on, but I would like to hear your opinions about that. What do you think?
    8O "If all the planets and galaxies were to be lined up together at the moment of birth, that would matter infinitely less to the child, than if the matron was fat or thin" 8O
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

dave -

Dolby Digital (DD) EX and THX EX were designed to work hand-in-hand so there is no problem using THX EX with Dolby Digital EX sources. I really can't hear a difference when I 've tried DD EX with or without THX. (There may be some DD EX soundtracks where there is a noticable difference, but I'm not going to try to find and audition every such DVD in my collection "with" and "without" to find them.) :>)

When I use the DTS track on discs that have one, I prefer not to have THX engaged if it is DTS ES Discrete. I can't say I've heard anything really "bad" with frequecy range, for example, by having THX mode on with DTS, but I get the subjective impression that THX somehow screws around slightly with the sense of space that the DTS ES Discrete soundtrack is trying to convey, so I don't mix the two. (Just tried it with Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Rings Extended Edition, which is has a DTS-ES Discrete track and that's the impression I got. THX may help on matrixed DTS ES tracks.)

Why not give it a shot with one or two of your own discs? (Be sure to pick movies you really like, ones that holds up well to repetition.) :>) Try them "with" and "without" -- you may perceive the resulting sound differently than I have. In any case, the soundtracks will sound glorious through yiur RDC-7. :>)

Enjoy!

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• gargamel
      • Aug 2004

The thing is that THX-ultra II uses 7 speakers but DTS only 6. I wonder if the integra processes the signal into 7 speakers or not.
      8O "If all the planets and galaxies were to be lined up together at the moment of birth, that would matter infinitely less to the child, than if the matron was fat or thin" 8O

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

When playing a DTS ES 6.1 soundtrack, Discrete or Matrix, sound comes from all 7 speakers. Of course, the rear two may be playing the same signal, but both are driven.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• gargamel
          • Aug 2004

Ok then I guess I will stick to THX ULTRA II always except when I'm playing a DTS-ES disk. Thanks for the help.

I'm having trouble in deciding which mode to use when playing music DVD's that come in regular DTS. For CD's I use dts-neo and it sounds cool, but for dvd there is a problem. In the manual it is really not that clear whether the THX-music mode is a THX-ultra II mode or an old THX-mode. I've tried regular DTS, THX-ultra II and THX-music and I can't really tell which one sounds better. Which mode do you prefer?

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"