X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stiletto Pat
    • May 2004

AVR-507 Heat Issues

I'm new to this forum, and also a relatively new AVR-507 owner. Actually, I've just assembled a completely new system. So far, I love the sound, although the logic takes a bit of getting used to. Anyway, I've noted that the unit generates a fair amount of heat, especially when I'm enjoying music at rather generous listening levels. My unit is on a shelf in my rack in a cabinet, with about 3.5 inches above for vent space, per the manual. However, I've recently put a thermometer in there to veryfiy the temperature, and have found that it has risen as high as 119 degrees F. I'm driving it in 5 channel mode. Is this type of heat generation normal? Can any other 307 or 507 owners chime in and advise is this is normal and appropriate?

I'm looking at cooling fan solutions, but haven't found just the right one yet.

Please let me know if there are others out there with this concern, or others that have taken action to cool things down.

Pat 8)
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Welcome to the Guide Stiletto Pat,

I don't own B&K. So I have no clue if it's normal or not. I do know that certain amps depending on implementation run hot normally. They have to release the heat when they make all that power.

My Pioneer runs hot and has been for a few yrs now (since I first got it). I've had no issues because of it. I followed the instructions which states to have 8 inches of room above it and, that is what I did. If your B&K has the mosfet design, then running hot is very normal.
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• gentlejax
      • Jun 2004

I think I am also having heat problems with my HK AVR320. I have always run it in stereo mode till yesterday and then I hooked up some small surround speakers and played it at moderate levels and it shut down after about an hour. the unit was warm but I wasnt pushing it at all so I was suprised it shut off.

let me know what kind of cooling you come up with, please!

Mike

Comment

• PMazz
        • May 2001

My 307 runs hot. Not sure of the exact temp, but everyone who owns the ref series says the same thing. I have never experienced any problems.

Pete
        Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• Stiletto Pat
          • May 2004

AVR-507 Running Hot

I checked with B&K directly, and they said no worries, so long as you give at least the 3 to 4" clearance above the unit they suggest. I quoted the temps that I had recorded - up to 120 degrees F, and they still said no problem.

While that's comforting to hear, I am still working on engineering a cooling fan solution that will keep the ambient temperature reduced near the receiver.

BTW, it sounds great, and I'm enjoying it greatly.

Good luck everyone...

Pat :lol:

Comment

• Dmantis
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jun 2004

All B&K amps run hot,as along as there is enough air around them,not inside a cabnet with the doors shut.
            there is a really good fan on the market by Elan.Its called the Zfan.It's very thin and pulls air up as it sits on top of your amp or receiver.

I have installed them with excellent results.

My avr307 lives in a Salamander rack with no door infront of it.

Comment

• Toslink Survivo
              • Oct 2004

No worries. Simply calibrate it as follows: crank the volume as high as possible, if it starts to smoke turn down the volume slightly and you should be good to go.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"