X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Rumors abound over RDC-7.1 intro and RDC-7 upgrade

Although Integra Research was not bashful about showing off their proposed successor to the highly acclaimed RDC-7 pre/pro at a trade show earlier this year, they have been less than forthcoming about several details:

1) what will the final product look like? (The front panel of the mock up at the show was virtually identical to the current model's.)

2) what will be the "real world" features and pricing of the various configurations of the new model?

3) when will the new model actually be available for sale to consumers? Every time anyone calls Integra Research, it seems they get a different answer. All we know for certain is that it is not available today. :>)

4) Will Integra Research offer current RDC-7 owners a "trade-up" or "rebuild" program similar to what Lexicon and Theta have offered their owners in the past? There have been conflicting reports about that, ranging from "absolutely not, since we'd have to include Integra and Onkyo top-of-the-line receiver owners, too, and it would just be too expensive to do" to "we're thinking about it, due to the firestorm this product announcement caused in light of previous advertising that the RDC-7 was 'future-proof'" to "we're going to do it and it'll be free" (the least likely, but most appealing to current owners, of the alternatives).

5) What impact will the pending model have on any future upgrades to the RDC-7 ? How far will they take the existing model into the promised "future" that it was supposed to be "proofed" against? :>) Firewire (for DVD-A only, or will SACD be supported)? What about ProLogic IIx? El cheapo receivers are getting that -- why can't a sort-of high end pre/pro be upgraded with it? And etcetera.

6) Does anyone at Integra Research tell their telephone support people (or their customers) anything about anything? Their answers tend to be along the lines of: "we haven't been told anything about that " or "visit the web site for further details that will be posted sometime later" or "we have that under consideration but no official word yet", etcetera.

Now rumors are in circulation that the new RDC-7.1 model won't be out until next year, and no final word on when (or even IF) there will actually be an upgrade to the current RDC-7.

Meanwhile, enjoy your music and movies with what you've got!

Burke

PS - Anyone care to share what they've heard/read on these subjects recently?
    Last edited by Burke Strickland; 17 May 2004, 12:27 Monday.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...
  • Razvan
    • Jan 2002

Burke,

Each time I call IR I get a different answer. Nobody seems to know when the RDC-7.1 will be available or if there will be a trade-in program or not. The IR customer service is very much like that of Dish Network's...

The latest info I got was that the RDC-7.1 - and the other flagships, the Onkyo 1000 and Integra 10.5 receivers - won't be available until winter due to software problems ( this info came from a dealer and not IR).

Have you got any info Burke? Anything from Lincoln Palmer?

R

Comment

• Steve Goff
      • Feb 2002

IR's customer service manager told me today via email that the bad news is that the RDC-7.1 will be delayed till late fall. But the rest of his message leaves me fairly optimistic that there will be a trade in, since he reports that he did see what the plan was for the trade in.
      Steve Goff

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

Originally posted by ”Razvan”
        Have you got any info Burke? Anything from Lincoln Palmer?
        I have heard nothing definitive. I am led to believe that no one at Integra Research talking to the public knows (or is willing to tell) what is really going on, since the story seems to be different with every person contacted (even on the same day).

The last couple of times I tried to get any information directly from Lincoln Palmer, (which was before the 7.1 brouhaha), he said in his email that because of the pending holidays, he was very busy and didn’t have time to investigate or answer the kind of inquiry I was making. As far as I could tell, the next pending “holidays” were ”Saturday and Sunday”. :>)

Originally posted by ”Steve Goff”
        …fairly optimistic that there will be a trade in, since he reports that he did see what the plan was for the trade in.
        Of course, the “plan” for the “trade in” could be to not offer one… but I hope they do, and that they make it reasonable, like buying a “.1 upgrade” to the “future-proof” model 7 pre/pro, rather than charging the equivalent of a whole new product. Too bad the customer service manager didn't let on what the details of the plan are going to be.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• pepar
          • Dec 2002

How about the IEEE1394?

Originally posted by Steve Goff
          IR's customer service manager told me today via email that the bad news is that the RDC-7.1 will be delayed till late fall. But the rest of his message leaves me fairly optimistic that there will be a trade in, since he reports that he did see what the plan was for the trade in.
          Hi Steve, did you learn anything about the Firewire upgrade to the RDC-7?
          -
          Home theater renovation underway!

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." - William Gibson

"I like the future; I'm in it." - Firesign Theater

Comment

• Steve Goff
            • Feb 2002

I did not ask about the firewire upgrade for thr RDC-7. As for what Lincoln said to me, I don't like to quote from emails sent to me, at least without permission, but he suggested that the trade-in plan was to offer the RDC-7.1 as set up like a RDC-7, and allow the customer to order options that fit his or her needs. I'm not at all sure what this means, but it does suggest that there will be some sort of trade-in offer, unless they change their minds.
            Steve Goff

Comment

• Razvan
              • Jan 2002

[QUOTE=Burke Strickland]I have heard nothing definitive. I am led to believe that no one at Integra Research talking to the public knows (or is willing to tell) what is really going on, since the story seems to be different with every person contacted (even on the same day).

This is all very frustrating, why can't they just say "we don't know yet"?

The last couple of times I tried to get any information directly from Lincoln Palmer, (which was before the 7.1 brouhaha), he said in his email that because of the pending holidays, he was very busy and didn’t have time to investigate or answer the kind of inquiry I was making. As far as I could tell, the next pending “holidays” were ”Saturday and Sunday”. :>)

That's bad customer service. I am considering the new Anthem D1 processor and I can tell you that Anthem's customer service is far superior. Why can't Integra Research have as good a customer service as its products is beyond me.

Of course, the “plan” for the “trade in” could be to not offer one… but I hope they do, and that they make it reasonable, like buying a “.1 upgrade” to the “future-proof” model 7 pre/pro, rather than charging the equivalent of a whole new product. Too bad the customer service manager didn't let on what the details of the plan are going to be.

They should have known all the details by now as they had more than 4 months to figure it out.

As for the RDC-7.1 - it was supposed to be released in April and now the new date is December 2004. Considering the delays it could as well be summer 2005 or 2006...

Razvan

Comment

• Steve Goff
                • Feb 2002

They are holding off in part because they don't yet know their costs and pricing for the RDC-7.1 and the various modules.
                Steve Goff

Comment

• gargamel
                  • Aug 2004

Has anyone heard anything new about the upgrade? I contacted integra a few months ago and they just told me the same you post here. I wonder what’s happening there. Is a firewire port really that complicated to implement?
                  8O "If all the planets and galaxies were to be lined up together at the moment of birth, that would matter infinitely less to the child, than if the matron was fat or thin" 8O

Comment

• Steve Goff
                    • Feb 2002

As some of you know, I've contacted Lincoln Palmer at Onkyo/Integra/Integra Research in the past for news on these upcomming products. Well, now my emails to Lincoln come back as undeliverable, with the notation that the email address does not exist. I'm not sure what that means.

On another note, Onkyo has released the DV-SP1000, which has the same core electronics as the upcoming RDV-1.1 and Integra DPS-10.5. The manual for the DV-SP100o is available online, as is an addendum for setting up the HDMI output. Looking at these I see two things of note: the HDMI output is limitted to 480p, 720p, and 1080i resolutions, and the speaker distance settings do not apply to SACD. The latter is somewhat unfortunate.
                    Steve Goff

Comment

• Razvan
                      • Jan 2002

Lincoln Palmer is no longer with Onkyo.

R

Comment

• Steve Goff
                        • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Razvan
                        Lincoln Palmer is no longer with Onkyo.

R
                        Do you know who now heads up customer service?
                        Steve Goff

Comment

• gargamel
                          • Aug 2004

Why is it so difficult for Integra to say anything about the upgrade for the RDC-7? :M

I just can’t understand their reluctance to inform their customers. My best guess is that they have found many problems they didn’t originally expected when they told us it’s expected availability date and had decided to not state any new date at all, just in case it proves wrong again. Either that or they just simply don’t know when will It’ll be ready. Either way it’s a shame. Perhaps I should have gone the Denon way, but the RDC-7 is so cool…I don’t know. Just hope the update will come out some day. Connecting via fire wire offers many advantages over the traditional connections, and every new DVD comes with it nowadays, so I guess is the way to go. :T

Perhaps they found it too difficult to implement and are just maintaining radio silence hopping we will forget about it…. :Z
                          8O "If all the planets and galaxies were to be lined up together at the moment of birth, that would matter infinitely less to the child, than if the matron was fat or thin" 8O

Comment

• gargamel
                            • Aug 2004

The past weekend I had the chance to speak with a guy from a shop that happens to be the sole distributor for integra in my Country. He told me that the release of the new DVD by integra is imminent but that it is going to have a prohibitive cost. Next time I go there I’ll try to get more from him and I’ll keep you posted.
                            The upgrade for the RDC-7 is another matter though as I don’t think he will have much interest on that, but I’ll try anyway. Perhaps he’ll know something.

Comment

• gargamel
                              • Aug 2004

Hi there guys.
                              I still don’t know when will the upgrades be available, but I’ve seen already the new integra DVD player at the shop here in Madrid.
                              It’s around 5000€+ which is at least for me, too much dough for a DVD but the guy in the shop tells me that it’s the best thing he has ever seen. It upconverts the video signal or something. Truly awesome. Next time I’ll ask for a demo and will tell you more. Ok?
                              Bye :T

Comment

• emerson
                                • Sep 2004

I've actually bought the Dv-Sp1000e,
                                And,, well, Yeah,,, for the first time there IS a BIG difference in quality compared
                                to anything I've seen in DVD players so far..,,,, truly awsome..,,

Actually,,when using the component output (which are ONLY progessive) to my 36" toshiba TV,, I can direct my Satelite TV's output into the DVDplayer for upconversion/progressiv scan as an external input...,, I can say this,, even my girlfriend reacts to how great the picture is,, and this even though Toshiba has it's own progressiv conversion...,,,

So,, really DV-Sp1000e is as some reviewer stated in some german mag I read,, the best DVD ever built so far...,,nothing comes close...,,,

Comment

• Steve Goff
                                  • Feb 2002

The latest rumor is that the Intgra Research units will become available in the US in the first two weeks of December, following a November 24 launch in Japan. Still no word on trade-ins.
                                  Steve Goff

Comment

• Leslie
                                    • Sep 2001

Hdmi

I've been away from the forum for a long time. Is there any word on the potential upgrade? My primary need is for an HDMI connection because my plasma screen lacks either DVI or HDMI connections. I'd like to switch the signal through the RDC-7 as I currently do using its component connection.

I'd hate to think that my "future-proof" RDC-7 was not upgradeable. I don't mind paying a price for the upgrade of hardware OR an upgrade into the new unit. The upgrades I installed a year or two ago were greatly appreciated. Come on, Integra, give us a break here!
                                    Leslie

Comment

• pepar
                                      • Dec 2002

After emailing O/I/IR from the IR website regarding the promised Firewire upgrade to the RDC-7 and waiting 2-3 weeks, I have received a reply -

"There is no firmware available for this unit as of yet. Please check back on our website for future updates."

Great, I ask about FIREWIRE and they answer about FIRMWARE. I have answered with a somewhat more terse reply, but I hold out no hope of penetrating their inscrutable Asian minds.
                                      -

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." - William Gibson

Comment

• pepar
                                        • Dec 2002

RDC-7 Firewire upgrade follow-up -

"Sorry for the last e-mail. The firewire is not available as of yet, we don't have a date for when it will be released. We have entered your information into our data bases, when it becomes available you will be notified."

Not taking anything for granted, I have fired off a reply -

"Thank you for your speedy reply! From your email, is it safe to assume that the Firewire upgrade is still planned and that it's just not ready yet?"

I'll post any further communications. Surprisingly, their reply came within 30 mins of my "Firewire, not firmware." reply.
                                        -

Comment

• Steve Goff
                                          • Feb 2002

I received an email today from one of the folks mentioned above saying that the new stuff will be out before the end of the year and that they are still considering the upgrade path for existing customers.
                                          Steve Goff

Comment

• Minge
                                            • Feb 2004

I have just purchased my first projector, I am excited about this upgrade to my listening/HT room but I am disapointed I have had to purchase an outbourd video switcher to handle al of my HDMI needs. I have an HD Tivo and Pioneer DV59-AVi universal player both are HDMI equiped. I had hoped by now I would have been given a change to upgrade to the 7.1, what is the latest an a role out date for the 7.1? Is it available yet? Will it have HDMI or DVI video switching?

Burke, Pepar and Steve are there pre pros out there to consider that DO have this swtiching yet and just give up on Integra? I love my RDC-7 do not get me wrong, I just think it is silly to have these outboard swithers doing the job that should be done by my pre pro.

Comment

• pepar
                                              • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Minge
                                              I have just purchased my first projector, I am excited about this upgrade to my listening/HT room but I am disapointed I have had to purchase an outbourd video switcher to handle al of my HDMI needs. I have an HD Tivo and Pioneer DV59-AVi universal player both are HDMI equiped. I had hoped by now I would have been given a change to upgrade to the 7.1, what is the latest an a role out date for the 7.1? Is it available yet? Will it have HDMI or DVI video switching?

Burke, Pepar and Steve are there pre pros out there to consider that DO have this swtiching yet and just give up on Integra? I love my RDC-7 do not get me wrong, I just think it is silly to have these outboard swithers doing the job that should be done by my pre pro.
                                              I don't know of any HDMI-switching pre/pros yet, and DVI switching is only just now showing up. 'Tis definitely not elegant, but external switchers are a fact of life when new I/O standards appear on sources and not on pre/pros & receivers. Personally, I cannot justify dumping a, in my case, new RDC-7 just for one feature - which doesn't seem to be available on anything else anyway. Some months ago, Digital Connection ran a sale on a HDCP-compliant 4x1 DVI switcher and I snapped one up. It is an attractive, low profile unit that sits unobtrusively atop my RDC-7. Again, it's not ideal, but it works.
                                              -

Comment

• pepar
                                                • Dec 2002

Guilty of cross-posting -

I've been corresponding with O/IR over the last two weeks. Some of the exchanges have almost been in "real time" - certainly a refreshing change from emailing and never getting a reply. Been there, done that. Anyway, to the meat:

Me: "Thank you for your speedy reply! From your email, is it safe to assume that the Firewire upgrade is still planned and that it's just not ready yet?"

Onkyo USA Product Support: "Yes it is still planned. Expected release is the first quarter of '05."
                                                -

Comment

• emerson
                                                  • Sep 2004

Got this while mailing onkyo/Europe...,,

"Unfortunately the termin from the IEEE upgrade is postponed.
                                                  At the moment we have following information.
                                                  The date from the IEEE upgrade is planned ca. in spring of the next year.
                                                  For further information please contact your local ONKYO distributor"

I've heard this time and time again,, I think it's about the 5th time they say something meaning = in approx 6 months..!!;,, Sure...that'll be the day....

Comment

• pepar
                                                    • Dec 2002

Originally posted by emerson
                                                    Got this while mailing onkyo/Europe...,,

"Unfortunately the termin from the IEEE upgrade is postponed.
                                                    At the moment we have following information.
                                                    The date from the IEEE upgrade is planned ca. in spring of the next year.
                                                    For further information please contact your local ONKYO distributor"

I've heard this time and time again,, I think it's about the 5th time they say something meaning = in approx 6 months..!!;,, Sure...that'll be the day....
                                                    "First Qtr '05" and "Spring" overlap by, what, ten day? But they told you "ca," which I take to mean "circa" or near. Grrr. Summer is "near" Spring. We clearly need someione with an inside track who can bypass their Customer Non-Service.
                                                    -

Comment

• emerson
                                                      • Sep 2004

Yeah,,, My guess is that we will not see this until autumn next year,, earliest,, if ever.
                                                      I've been "on them" since I bought my RDC7,,, and for some years now,, they allways said; Late this year / End of the summer.../ within next 2 quarters...,,,

Im not having any high hopes...,,,,wish I could though..

Comment

• pepar
                                                        • Dec 2002

Originally posted by emerson
                                                        Yeah,,, My guess is that we will not see this until autumn next year,, earliest,, if ever.
                                                        I've been "on them" since I bought my RDC7,,, and for some years now,, they allways said; Late this year / End of the summer.../ within next 2 quarters...,,,

Im not having any high hopes...,,,,wish I could though..
                                                        I get in touch with my "where's my upgrade" anger every three months or so. What, no IEEE1394 yet? Oh, well . . .
                                                        -

Comment

• Steve Goff
                                                          • Feb 2002

I've downloaded the manual for the DTR-10.5, and the interesting thing here is that you can use DPL IIx on top of SACD for 7.1 sound from a 5.1 source, which says to me that they are converting the DSD stream to PCM. This is also suggested because, unlike with their new universal players, there is no mention (at least at first glance) of not having speaker distance settings for SACD.
                                                          Steve Goff

Comment

• emerson
                                                            • Sep 2004

And,,, there's no speaker distance's etc.. possible for SACD on the DV-SP1000e either,
                                                            I might be wrong,, but,, I think that's the case (=problem) with SACD...??

I prefer Dvd-Audio so far..,
                                                            ( brain salad surgery....Doors,,,,Carly Simon..!!!)....

Comment

• Steve Goff
                                                              • Feb 2002

Most SACD solutions do not provide speaker distance settings if the DSD stream is kept in its native form, although Sony claims to do so on their flagship player. If speaker distance settings are available, or if there are variable crossover frequencies, it is likely because the DSD signal has been converted to PCM. It looks like this is what the RDC-7.1 does, since all listening modes are available layered on top of SACD, including 7.1 channel DPL IIx on top of 5.1 channel SACD.
                                                              Steve Goff

Comment

Working...
                                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                              Search Result for "|||"