X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin_McC
    • Jan 2003

Lexicon MC-1 Fan noise

Can anyone else hear the DTS fan in their Lexicon? I can hear mine buzzing 12 feet away. I'm seriously thinking about replacing it (fan) has anyone else tried to replace it? If so what's a suitable replacement fan? Can it just be disconnected?
  • Kevin_McC
    • Jan 2003

Update. I'm going to unplug the fan.

Comment

• Bob Santos
      • Mar 2001

Kevin,
      I dont have my MC-1 anymore, but I can certainly say I never heard the fan.
      Have you spoke with lexicon about it?
      My MC-1 ran pretty hot.
      Have you heard of others with the fan noise?
      Maybe you did allready, but if it was my unit I would definately talk to Lexicon before disconnecting the fan. It must be there for a reason

Comment

• Kevin_McC
        • Jan 2003

Hi Bob,

I've emailed Lexicon and it was their recommendation that I unplug it. I was willing to replace it, but I guess it's really not needed?

When I first noticed the noise I went to Lexicons FAQ's for the MC-1 and that's how I learned that there was a special fan for the DTS processor and it only turns on when a DTS signal is detected.

Mine is unusually loud, I can hear it from 12 feet away. It's annoyed me so much that on certain movies I've actually stopped the movie and switched it to DD instead.

I haven't unplugged it yet, but I will once I get a chance. While I'm in there I may look at the fan and see if I can't find another suitable replacement from somewhere.

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Wow, surprising that they would say to unplug it. Mine never really bothered me to much.

But then, I have a pretty loud noise floor in here with compueters going most the time.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Kevin_McC
            • Jan 2003

Lex,

I was surprised also, but I seem to remember that there were other discussion on this topic in another forum (SMP or SNP? or something like that) and it was suggested there that it could be unplugged in certain situations.

It's bothered me for a while but like you I have a high noise level that at times drowns out the fan noise. The utility room/furnace is nearby.

I don't think it's typical of all units I believe the fan in my unit is bad. I know I've listened to the 3 or so Lexicons John T has had and I never heard fan noise from any of those.

I guess that's why I haven't been quick to disconnect it. When I tear it apart I'm going to do a quick search to see if I can find a replacement. Definately not a CPU fan that's pretty much what mine sounds like now, but audible at my seated position 12 feet away.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"