• Show
Clear All
  • Razvan
    • Jan 2002

New Integra Research at CES 2004

R
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Thanks for the heads up on this. The universal player looks like it could be a really choice piece of gear, and the amp gets upgraded to THX Ultra2.

As for the pre/pro, they are using the same model number they've had on their product for the last three years but with a ".1" appended. But instead of offering an upgrade for current owners to a new standardized platform with a bundle of additional features, they are unbundling the advanced feature set (including a few things that had been on the current unit as standard), and changing a few things on the "base model". Rather than offering only a "one size fits all" package at a reasonable price, with the multitude of options to be added to a "base model", (at a price that used to include some of the options), they are playing the configuration game more like Theta, Meridian and Lexicon.

I'm guessing the DACs, which they have described by brand name for the first time, are PCM and DSD (SACD) compatible, whereas the ones existing owners are stuck with for now are apparently PCM-only (unless they snuck in a change of DACs to include DSD capability in the last upgrade and just didn't tell us). They are also changing the power supply and providing a new remote. The radio feature becomes optional and a lot of connectivity options including the long promised IEEE 1394, and the more recent HDMI can be selected. Although the base price drops back to $4,000, they don't say what all the various other configurations will come in at price-wise.

I'll be interested to see what they offer current owners of the RDC-7 in the way of upgrading to the ".1", or whether they plan to stiff us by claiming this is a new model and we are no longer in the upgrade channel. My last communiation from Integra Research indicated that we should be getting news of an upgrade for the RDC-7 via the web site. So far, there is nothing on their site about that or the new products.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Wow... looks like some nifty stuff. Sweet DVD player, but hefty price. Hopefully it will correct performance problems with the previous Integra DVD universal player.

CHRIS
      Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• awtryau89
        • Dec 2002

Well I spoke to a CSR at IR today and they really do not know much about the new stuff. Amazing isn't it. :? Anyway he did say he cannot imagine them not offering upgrades to current owners. As for the upgrades, there are only a few things I see different than the current model as far as hardware goes, (i.e. 3 sub outputs vs. 2 current, 5 triggers vs. 2 current etc). I really have to believe since the unit seems to be of the same design that IR will be able to upgrade our units. As for the DACs, I consider the Wolfson DACs a downgrade. I do not think they will be DSD/PCM but I could be wrong. I think they are the same ones used in the DTC-9.4 and receivers. Oh well, as the news comes out I will be very interested to see how they handle this. I was sold my unit based on upgradeability and have other options at this moment. I want to keep my IR and have it upgraded first and foremost but even if they will upgrade current units, the cost may be prohibitive.

Eric Awtry
        War Eagle
        Eric Awtry
        War Eagle

Comment

• Burke Strickland
          • Sep 2001

RDC-7.1

Here's the "official" blurb on the RDC-7.1 from the CES site (Integra Research vendor data):

Home Theater... Evolved. After more than 3 years this flagship surround processor gets a complete overhaul. The RDC-7.1 is built around a new chassis that features a card-based design for ultimate flexibility and configuration. Borrowing many of the award winning technologies from its predecessor the RDC-7.1 also brings a plethora of new, state-of-the-art enhancements. Features like HDMI switching/upconversion, full bass management for all sources, and professional-grade components ensure the RDC-7.1 will perform in the most demanding home theaters.

So even though it looks the same on the outside, they are saying that inside it is a new design, with some elements borrowed from the RDC-7.1. Since the RDC-7 was also a "card-based design", it isn't real clear how much of their statement is just marketing hype.

As for the DACS, Integra Research has used different ones from other Integra/Onkyo products in the RDC-7 in the past, so it it conceivable that they will continue to differentiate the products again. Just a couple of months ago, Wolfson annnounced a new line of DACs which are both PCM and DSD compatible. http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/whatsnew/press/press/PI110/ However, the Burr-Brown DACS in the RDC-7.1 are about as "good as it gets" for sound quality, so even with DSD (SACD) capability, the Wolfsons may not be a real "upgrade".

RDA-7.1

Here is the blurb for the RDA-7.1:
          Integra Research seeks out industry leaders as technology partners for products it develops - the RDA-7.1 is no exception. Building on a 4 year relationship with Balanced Audio Technologies (BAT), BAT's proven amplifier designs and technologies have been incorporated into this latest home theater amplifier. With more than 1000W total power, the RDA-7.1 provides the power and dynamics needed for demanding performances, while maintaining exceptional clarity. The RDA-7 completes the Integra Research stack of THX Ultra2 certified components which may be viewed in Alexis Park.
          Note that they mix up their own product's name in that statement, calling it the "RDA-7.1" and the "RDA-7".

RDV-1.1

The previous Integra Research DVD player was also DVD-A compatible but did not play SACDs (Integra Home Theater had a universal player in its line up last year). Here's what they say about the new unit:
          What's a top-shelf home theater without a reference quality video source? This DVD player lives up to the hype and is the perfect companion to its audio counterpart, the RDC-7.1 preamplifier. The RDV-1.1 combines high quality video processing, decoding, and scaling, with the latest in digital audio in video output formats. Your theater will come to life when using the player's high-definition HDMI output and IEEE1394 (FireWire) multi-channel high resolution digital audio output - it even upconverts other video inputs to 1080i or 720p! Stop by our suite in Alexis Park to witness first-hand home theater perfection.

Comment

• Razvan
            • Jan 2002

Check out this thread for more info:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=3174037#post3174037

R

Comment

• Burke Strickland
              • Sep 2001

Thanks for the heads up. While it would have been nice to see that discussion here instead of somewhere else, it is interesting to read what others have found out -- and disturbing.

The question about internal architecture appears to be put to rest (if the picture of the back panel of the new Onkyo receiver is a harbinger of what's in store for the RDC-7.1, then it is a totally new design). But I don't like the sound of "no trade in program". One of the justifications for the steep price of the last upgrade was to be "ready for future upgrades" which now appear to be coming to an end with the half-way upgrade that may be offered as a last sop to current owners.

Apparently, even with this announcement, there is a lack of communication internally at Integra Research regarding some of the details of the new product, much less what their future plans are for the RDC-7 and its current owners. Of course, until there is an official announcement, we still won't know for sure what is going on there.

Burke

Comment

• Razvan
                • Jan 2002

Burke,

If they were to offer a trade-in program for the RDC-7 then they would have to offer trade-in programs for the Onkyo 989 and Integra 9.1 receivers too. The potential number of trade-ins is huge, I don't see how Onkyo could handle that.

The news of the end of upgrades for the RDC-7 is indeed disturbing. Of the 2 upgrades offered so far only the DPLII upgrade was of any value to me. The THX Ultra 2 upgrade is a joke especially considering its $500 price tag.

Still, the RDC-7 could be upgraded to DPLIIx, firewire, individual crossover settings - that's not that bad.

R

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                  • Sep 2001

Originally posted by Razvan
                  If they were to offer a trade-in program for the RDC-7 then they would have to offer trade-in programs for the Onkyo 989 and Integra 9.1 receivers too.
                  Frankly, I don't see how that necessarily follows. I know you've suggested elsewhere that they SHOULD offer it to owners of all three, but Integra Research is supposed to be "higher end" (and it IS much more expensive) than Onkyo and Integra and therefore it seems that the treatment of IR owners can be justifiably at a higher level than the others since they have a lot more invested.

You've given another really good reason why they shouldn't expand a trade-in program (if one were to be offered) to include Integra and Onko:
                  The potential number of trade-ins is huge, I don't see how Onkyo could handle that.
                  That is true, if they were do do it for all three. Perhaps Onkyo couldn't handle it for all the Onkyo owners out there, but I think Integra Research could for its owners.

Of course, I know it would piss off a lot more people if owners of the top-model Integra and Onkyo receivers were left totally out in the cold while Integra Research pre/pro owners were taken care of. But if all the divisions were to have a trade-in program, they could also have different terms and conditions for the trade. Also, if the trade in cost as a percentage of purchase price is quite a bit higher for, say, the Onkyo receiver than for the RDC-7, then probably a smaller number of Onkyo owners would spring for it, thus possibly reducing the burden of handling the program.

On the other hand, this is probably a moot discussion, since the signs are there are no plans for any trade in program.

Burke

Comment

• Razvan
                    • Jan 2002

So, Burke, if there's no trade in are you going to keep your ( upgraded) RDC-7 or get the RDC-7.1?

R

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                      • Sep 2001

My inclination is to stay with what I've got, possibly upgraded one more time if they offer features that I feel I'd use at a reasonable price.

The RDC-7.1 looks like it will be a nice piece of equipment, and the modular card cage chassis appears to be "the way to go" for greater future expandability/enhancement. But as discussed before, the Wolfson DACs are probably a step down from the Burr-Brown DACs we currently enjoy, so two channel music might suffer (and I have a ton of CDs I want to keep listening to at the quality level I have become accustomed to without having to buy an external DAC).

Also to take advantage of new "bells and whistles" such as the digital connection(s) for video and multichannel audio, I'd have to replace some of my other equipment with newer, more expensive gear. However, my days of spending big bucks on equipment are over unless I win a big Lotto jackpot. :>) But I'll "never say never". After all, my numbers might come up next week. ;>)

What are your plans regarding the RDC-7.1 or the other new models from Integra Research?

Burke

Comment

• ton1313
                        • Mar 2002

OK! EVERYONE TAKE A DEEP BREATH!!

Now, there are people already posting their gear for sale and chucking the finger at IR! All this without an official confirmation statement from IR. Phone calls to unknowing customer service reps has a bunch of us speculating what is goig to happen. Their customer service people are kept in the dark, similar to other tech companies ie Dishnetwork. Any phone calls to Dish regarding the new HDTV PVR were answered with a puzzled " I do not know about that unit", even though it was plastered all over the net.

I, like the rest of you purchased the IR for its promised upgrade ability path. This was the deciding factor for me to actually spend this kind of money on one component. Now with all of the rumors flying around I refuse to get upset until I hear it directly from IR that there will be no trade in policy to upgrade to the 7.1. Dont get me wrong, I will be very pissed if they do not offer 2 upgrade paths. One to upgrade the 7 to include the firewire & etc. and the other a trade in policy for those who wish to upgrade to the new unit.

Take a lesson from some of the other "upgradable units from the past"

If memory serves, Lexicon went through this when they went from the MC-1 to the MC-12.

Don't forget Proceed, all of those whom were promsed upgradability fom the PAV, PDSD modular unit with a $12K price tag. Those poor people were offer a MINIMAL trade in price to upgrade to the ML40. Imagine that phone call, " Hi, to upgrade your unit we will need you to send in your unit & an additional $28,000 for your new unit.

I hope that IR is reading all of these posts & reconsiders their marketing stratagy.

Link from audioholics.com http://www.audioholics.com/ces/ces20...004_day2b.html

Comment

• Razvan
                          • Jan 2002

Well, one of us already sold his RDC-7 on Audiogon... I myself will keep it but probably will not buy another IR product again.

R

Comment

• ton1313
                            • Mar 2002

Side note about the RDA-7 vs. the RDA-7.1

All of the "improvements" that are lised on the Audioholics website are all part of the original owners manual & technical papers for the RDA-7. Sounds like a re-badged item to me.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                              • Sep 2001

I'm having trouble getting to the Audioholics site. The URL above and URLs generated from a Google search with "Audioholics" and "Integra Research" as key words all yield "Page not found" error messages. I've been there before (a couple of months ago) but I'm not getting access today. Anyone else experiencing this?

Burke

Comment

• Razvan
                                • Jan 2002

Burke,

Here's the direct link: http://www.audioholics.com/ces/ces20...004_day2b.html

I too think that the new amp is basically the same as the old one. The big changes are the universal player and especially the preamp.

R

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                  • Sep 2001

Thanks, but neither link works for me. (Aren't they actually the same link?)

Comment

• Razvan
                                    • Jan 2002

Well, here it is:

"Integra and Integra Research Product Announcement and Demonstration

We had an opportunity to attend an invitation only product announcement and demonstration for both Integra and Integra Research. Unlike other product announcements we attended during the show, (which only included Croissants, no transportation and no listening demo) this extravaganza included a limo service and heavy appetizers which consisted of some of the best Sushi we’ve ever had. The Demonstration proved to be as good as the food and transportation.

Integra Research
                                    Integra Research demonstrated their new line of products which are expected to be available for retail in April, 2004. These new products include the RDA-7.1 amplifier, RDC-7.1 Processor and RDV-1.1 DVD player.

Integra Research offered support and hardware upgrades to the now 4-year old RDC-7. This spring, they also plan to offer an IEEE update, thereby staying with their commitment to offer a product that remains current, and does not become obsolete after 8-months of ownership.

But everyone knows after four years, it’s time for Integra Research to rethink their Processor, and oh man, they did. This spring, Integra Research will introduce a new A/V Processor that will take the upgradeability concept to the next level. The RDC-7.1 is a revolutionary design that incorporates modularized “PC” card style banks that can be ordered ala-cart. This will allow everyone to order their RDC-7.1 configured the way they want, and not force everyone to pay additional money for features they will not use. The other advantage of this new concept is that you can order your cards at a later time since they are easily installable. Other feature highlights of the RDC-7.1 include:

• Two assignable sets of 7.1 Multi-channel Pre-out (A/B)
                                    • Decodes SACD in native DSD format without PCM conversion
                                    • Total of three subwoofer outputs (3 assignable)
                                    • High definition multimedia interface (HDMI v1.0) – 2 in / 1 out
                                    • iLink (IEEE-1394 or firewire)
                                    • Three zone multi-room capability
                                    • Wolfson DAC’s on all channels!
                                    • Ethernet for Net-Tune streaming audio
                                    • Bi-Directional RS-2332 port
                                    • Five assignable 12-VDC trigger outputs
                                    • And more, more, more!

Integra Research also made some upgrade changes to their RDA-7.1 amplifier which includes

• higher current driver stage
                                    • 3 gain stages
                                    • wide range design thick copper bus bar
                                    • 600-Joules of energy storage
                                    • All in the same size cabinet

The Integra Research RDV-1.1 DVD player is also another sign that Integra Research is now setting trends in Home Theater products. This new DVD player will include the following:

• High definition HDMI output
                                    • Wolfson DAC’s
                                    • Video circuit on/off
                                    • AES/EBU digital input
                                    • 12-V Trigger and IR out
                                    • Oplus FlexScale video scaling capability
                                    • DVD-Audio and Super Audio CD playback

Without question, we look forward to reviewing these products in more detail this spring. So stay tuned."

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                      • Sep 2001

Thank you for posting that, Razvan.
                                      Wolfson DAC’s on all channels!
                                      Looks like they're excited about the Wolfson DACs. ("!")

Burke

Comment

• ton1313
                                        • Mar 2002

Check out Audioholics DAY 3 coverage.

Integra Home Theater has unvieled a new card upgradable receiver & new universal player.

Comment

• awtryau89
                                          • Dec 2002

Well, one of us already sold his RDC-7 on Audiogon... I myself will keep it but probably will not buy another IR product again.

R
                                          I sure did. I sold mine for the $2100 and made $200 as I basically stole it when I purchased it from a friend upgrading to Meridian. I am in a position to make a move (see below) and wanted to make sure I got my money back out of it. I do feel that the old RDC-7s will still be very valuable even after the new 7.1 comes out because there are many that will not pay a premium for the new unit so I would not panic.

Now for the interesting news. I am posting this only here per Burke's remarks so this is an exclusive. :LOL: I am in the middle of buiding a new house with HT in the basement. A dealer friend I am working with has 2 of his employees at the CES Show so I asked for a favor. He had them go by IR's room to ask 3 specific questions. While in the room they called me on my cell and we got this straight from the horse'e mouth.

1) Will there be a trade in program?

The answer was unequivocally NO!. They feel that they have far exceeded the industry standard for upgrades and support for the IR RDC-7, Integra 9.1 and Onkyo 989. They view these products as a whole because when they offer support for one they must offer for all. You will see this continue for the new products. One comment they made was, and I am pretty much quoting here, "As a company, we are not in a position to offer trade in credit for these units."

2) Will the RDC-7 continue to be upgradeable?

They have plans to offer a firewire upgrade in spring. They could not confirm DPLIIx just yet. They said they are running out of processing power for DPLIIx as it has to be implemented as a completely separate algorithm from DPLII. If they add this they may have to "delete some current features" as they did with the THX Bass Peak Limiter when they implemented the THX Ultra II upgrade. They are still evaluating this. This is just my opinion, but if this is the case, don't expect to see bass management changes as well. They did say that they would most likely quit supporting the RDC-7,etc after this spring upgrade.

3) Why change DACs to Wolfson?

This was a matter of uniformity throughout their product line. They believe that these DACs are better spec wise than the BBs but the real reason the IR product is a much better audiophile product is the Apogee clocking and implementation of the analog stages where they take much greater care than in the lower line products.

I, for one, am very excited about the new 7.1. I am not really in a position to spend that kind of money on a new unit so I will be looking at all my options. I have $2100 in my pocket and a dealer (we are close friends)that will give me a great deal on a new base unit. I know everyone is bummed out as I was at first but I am definitely going to try an stay with IR because this new design will be the wave of the future. I look at Meridian's 861 and it is still the king after almost 10 years.

Eric Awtry
                                          War Eagle
                                          Eric Awtry
                                          War Eagle

Comment

• Razvan
                                            • Jan 2002

Thanks for the info.

"They said they are running out of processing power for DPLIIx as it has to be implemented as a completely separate algorithm from DPLII."

That sucks and it proves that the second upgrade was a total waste.

R

Comment

• ton1313
                                              • Mar 2002

Thanks for the news Eric.

I will probably upgrade my unit to include the firewire when available. I have had it for 3 1/2 years so far & still love it! This upgrade could easily satisfy my needs for the next couple of years or so, as I am only using the 7 in a 5.1 set up.

I am curious about the 7.1, mainly the price. What is included in the base unit? How much will each diferent module cost?. With all of the different cards the price of the new unit could possibly double. Are the cards user installable?

Will be quite interesting when it hits.

Comment

• Razvan
                                                • Jan 2002

"If they add this they may have to "delete some current features" as they did with the THX Bass Peak Limiter when they implemented the THX Ultra II upgrade"

They can delete my THX Ultra 2 and the global crossovers - they are useless anyway - + DPLII and give me $500 credit towards the new upgrade which should include DPLIIx, individual crossovers and firewire!

R

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                                  • Sep 2001

Thanks for the updates. Here are a few more of my thoughts on the news so far.

"Uniformity" across their product lines may be good for volume discounts on parts (a cost saving for Onkyo, but not necessarily for IR customers). But if they see the Integra Research/Integra/Onkyo units "as a whole" then that gives the lie to positioning Integra Research as a true high end brand. Despite Apogee clocking and other special features, the so-called "high end" product is only as good as its weakest links in the A/V reproduction chains (such as the "uniform" DACs) and they seem to be positioning it as the peer of its mass market stable mates, not competing gear at the high end.

In the past, some people have suggested from appearances that the RDC-7 was just a gussied up Onkyo receiver minus the amplifiers. However, it was differentiated enough with higher grade internal components (including the Burr-Brown DACs) to stand alone as a higher cost, higher performance product. I'm not so sure that with its "uniform" shared parts, the new 7.1 will have such a great advantage to justify its premium price over its product brethren, which they see as a "whole".

As for the RDC-7 maintaining its value even after the introduction of the 7.1, I hope that is true. But I have a feeling that in the long term it will hold its value about like laser discs did once DVDs got well established in the market place. In other words, if anyone is thinking about selling theirs, now is the time to do it.

As Razvan has pointed out, if the RDC-7 is "running out of processing power" then that previous expensive upgrade was "worthless" -- indeed, if that is true, then I think in retrospect, it borders on a scam. Although I find THX Ultra2 of somewhat more value than he does, I agree that they really oversold the last upgrade, leading us to believe that the costly board modifications were more in preparation for the future, supposedly positioning the product to be ready for a host of contemplated future upgrades, rather than only being essential to the immediate requirements of that upgrade.

I have doubts about the utility of a firewire "upgrade" to the RDC-7 since SACD would presumably not be supported, assuming that the current DACs are PCM-compatible only and it is obvious that no further changes to anything meaningful will take place in the RDC-7.

It looks like the "7.1" is for marketing continuity, not for transition of ownership from the previously purchased product to the new one. It is interesting that out of all their past marketing verbiage about the RDC-7 being future proof and upgradeable, they are now highlighting a single quote where one IR exec says something about "staying with their commitment to offer a product that remains current, and does not become obsolete after 8-months of ownership". That appears to be used to be able to contrast the "eight months" with the 3 1/2 years the product has been on the market. But then what about owners who bought their RDC-7, say, the week before CES? And what about the rest of the statement about "a product that remains current" regardless of when it was purchased?

Integra Research leaving its owners high and dry after one last upgrade of dubious value will not sit well with a lot of current owners. Integra Research may be patting themselves on the back for having been ahead of the rest of the industry in following through on upgrade promises, but if these stories are true and that ends with one last "upgrade" and no trade in program, they will have been guilty of leading us down the primrose path with false expectations. They don't seem to realize that a perception of breach of faith with existing RDC-7 owners will carry over to the new product(s). Why should anyone believe that owners of the RDC-7.1 wouldn't be abandoned as precipitously at some point down the road if they are, indeed, rendering the RDC-7 a dead-end product?

Of course, as always, we still need to get the OFFICIAL word from Integra Research to know definitively where they are going with all this.

Burke

Comment

• Razvan
                                                    • Jan 2002

Burke,

I agree with you 100%. I just talked to someone who bought his brand new RDC-7 4 months ago for $4000 and he's very upset with IR... I don't think that me or him will buy any Onkyo products ever again.

R

Comment

• awtryau89
                                                      • Dec 2002

Originally posted by ton1313
                                                      Thanks for the news Eric.

I will probably upgrade my unit to include the firewire when available. I have had it for 3 1/2 years so far & still love it! This upgrade could easily satisfy my needs for the next couple of years or so, as I am only using the 7 in a 5.1 set up.

I am curious about the 7.1, mainly the price. What is included in the base unit? How much will each diferent module cost?. With all of the different cards the price of the new unit could possibly double. Are the cards user installable?

Will be quite interesting when it hits.
                                                      I have been told the $4k base unit will be basically a current RDC-7 without videe switching and already include DPLIIx and crossover upgrades. Fully loaded the RDC-7.1 will cost $5500 and will be less expensive than if you purchase a base unit and were to add all modules at a later date. So basically they will be giving you an upfront discount. The modules will supposedly cost $500 if purchased separately later so that means a fully loaded unit would $6500 if done a piece at a time. For what its worth.... :?

Eric Awtry
                                                      War Eagle
                                                      Eric Awtry
                                                      War Eagle

Comment

• Steve Goff
                                                        • Feb 2002

I'm just back from CES, where I spent considerable time in the Integra Research room, and took pictures of the new units with my digital camera. I don't have much time to post now, but I must say that I think IR's move to this more modular constuction was inevitable. Unfortunately, they were not as prescient as some (e.g. Meridian in the 800 series) in understanding how to create a truly modular set of products. But then again, neither was anyone else at this price point (especially considering price-performance issues). I wish that the RDC-7 were more fully upgradable, but they do plan on giving us owners what they promised (the i-Link connection for digital audio), if belatedly, via an upgrade towards the middle of the year. I'm now weighing whether to sell my RDC-7 and buying an RDC-7.1 and RDV-1.1. The latter is truly a specatacular piece, at least in conception, with a built in deinterlacer and scaler for the HDMI output, with HDMI, component, s-vid, and composite inputs, making it a scaler for external sources, as well as a universal player.

I'd post pictures in the next few days, but i don't currently have a host for images.

Steve Goff
                                                        Steve Goff

Comment

• Razvan
                                                          • Jan 2002

Steve,

Did you ask if the next upgrade will include anything else besides firewire?

R

Comment

• Steve Goff
                                                            • Feb 2002

Steve,

R
                                                            Yes I did, but the answer seemed to change depending on who was minding the room. The more knowledgeable guy seemed to say that firewire was a assured but DPL IIx was not. I think they're not sure. I suspect they are also not sure about how to handle SACD for the firewire, since the RDC-7s DACs don't do SACD natively. One guy seemed to say that SACD would be changed to PCM for input to the modified RDC-7. Another guy clearly had no clue about the question, though he thought he did.

Steve Goff
                                                            Steve Goff

Comment

• Razvan
                                                              • Jan 2002

Steve,

Based on what you know so far, are you going to keep your RDC-7 or sell it?

R

Comment

• awtryau89
                                                                • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Steve Goff
                                                                Steve,

R
                                                                Yes I did, but the answer seemed to change depending on who was minding the room. The more knowledgeable guy seemed to say that firewire was a assured but DPL IIx was not. I think they're not sure. I suspect they are also not sure about how to handle SACD for the firewire, since the RDC-7s DACs don't do SACD natively. One guy seemed to say that SACD would be changed to PCM for input to the modified RDC-7. Another guy clearly had no clue about the question, though he thought he did.
                                                                Steve,
                                                                Great info and it mirrors exactly what I heard from the IR room (albeit via cell-phone and not in person). I am willing to bet very good money that the unit does not get DPLIIx. I have another good friend that is in the process of releasing his new prepro and he told me that they would have been shipping this past fall if it were not for DPLIIx. He ended up having to change to more processing power to run the DPLIIx algorithm which in turn changed the board design and layout. When initially launched it seemed as if DPLIIx would be an easy software upgrade but now it is showing how many of these companies were running very close to their limit on processing power as they cannot implement it.

Based on what you know so far, are you going to keep your RDC-7 or sell it?
                                                                Well you know what I did and I am not regretting it as more and more info comes out. If you are leaning that way, now is the time to do it. I sold very quickly because of the price and I probably undervalued my unit a bit but I still made some money so I was okay. I think they will be easy to sell oer the next couple of weeks/months because there are many that look for these types of "closeout" deals from early adopters of newer generation pieces. I have done this on many occasion.

Eric Awtry
                                                                War Eagle
                                                                Eric Awtry
                                                                War Eagle

Comment

• Razvan
                                                                  • Jan 2002

Here's the e-mail I got from IR:

"At this time the only upgrade information that we have is the fact that the unit will have the IEEE1394 connection. We do not have any further information at this time. We have no trade in policy on our products to date. We should have more information up on the websites in the next month or in that area"

R

Comment

• Steve Goff
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Feb 2002

In a quick reponse to my e-mail regarding trade-ins aand upgrades, the head of Integra Research's customer service says that they are getting a lot of input from their flagship customers, that they have no plans to abandon those customers, that firewire upgrades to the RDC-7 and RDV-1 are in the offing, that "nothing is written in stone at this point," and that they are about to go through a series of meetings on the topic (upgrades and such, I suppose) that he will be heavily involved with. As soon as they make some decisions, they will let us and their dealers know. He notes that some have already said they've been forgotten by the company, and assume the company will let them down, whereas he hopes that Integra Research can make all of its customers happy.

Steve Goff
                                                                    Steve Goff

Comment

Working...
                                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                    Search Result for "|||"