X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jon SS
    • Oct 2002

Which power amp do you use with the RDC-7

I just auditioned the RDC-7 with the RDA-7 power amp which were connected to B&W Nautilus speakers (802s I think). I was quite inpressed except the test room was so large (25 x 30), I don't know if it would sound better in a smaller room.

Anyway I was wondering what amps you RDC-7 owners are using and what you paid for the RDC-7 and RDA-7?

I am in Canada, so the pricing may be different but I wanted to guage how much I should pay if I decide to go for it. There are a couple of other items I am interested in listening to but won't be able to until November/December.

Thanks.

Jon
  • Greg Staten
    • Sep 2001

I seriously considered using the RDA-7, but went with Audio Control instead. I'm very happy with the sound and the price was about half of the RDA-7.

-greg

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

At the time I bougtt my RDC-7 pre/pro, the dealer also offered a deal on the RDA-7 power amp that I probably should have taken him up on, but for the front L/R main channels I had already invested in a BEL (Brown Electronics Lab) 1001 Mk V power amp (which was recommended by the dealer who sold me my Magnepan MG 3.6s as "the amp" to drive them and I agreed upon auditioning), and had an Acurus three channel amp on hand to drive the surrounds, so I chose not to spend the extra money. However, at that time, I added a Marantz MA700 for the center channel (and got a great deal on that unit as well). And now that I have gone to full 7.1, I am using the main amps in a Yamaha DSP-A3090 to drive the rear surrounds. (Which means one channel of the Acurus is now unused.)

It would have been "tidier" to get the Integra Research (IR) amp for the full complement of home theater channels and still use the incomparable BEL for two channel music, but that is water under the bridge -- I am getting good results with what I have and there is no way I could go back and get the same deal on the RDA-7. For that matter, there is no way anyone could go back and get the deal I got on the RDC-7 pre/pro either. The two staff members at my local dealer who really knew the IR product line and also worked great deals have both left. The people who are left behind trying to handle the IR line are, to put it charitably, less knowledgable on all accounts.

I wouldn't worry about an amp sounding "bad" in a smaller room if it sounds good in a larger one. It might not be used to its full capacity, since it has less of a load to push in the smaller space, but it should still sound good. (Going the other direction, there could be a concern if an amp didn't have the"horsepower" to cleanly drive the speakers at sufficient volume in the larger room.)

It is the speakers that might not "work" in a smaller room... placement issues such as distance from the walls, and the need for some speakers to have sufficient space to "breathe" can be more diffiucult in a smaller room. And there are some combos of speakers and amps that really don't "work" in any environment.

The best thing to do, if possible, is get the dealer to let you set up the equipment in your own home environment and determine if it is satisfactory or not. My dealer typically allows serious buyers the opportunity to do that on an over-the-weekend loaner basis or with a longer trial period with return privileges, depending on the product. (Well the IR dealer did, anyway, I don't know if they still do.)

Good luck -

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Leslie
        • Sep 2001

I would have gone with the Integra Research amp, except I got a really good deal on a California Audio Labs 2500 amp. I agree with an earlier poster that the size of the room isn't a real issue. You want the clean, clear sound that a really good amp provides to showcase the RDC-7's ability to produce gorgeous sound. Just my 2 cents.
        Leslie

Comment

• Jon SS
          • Oct 2002

Thanks guys.

I wanted to get a feel of whether people thought the RDA-7 amp was any good. It is pretty exepnsive here in Canada and for about C$500-C$1000 more you can get a Theta Dreadnaught.

Comment

• Uncle Clive
            Former Moderator
            • Jan 2002

Welcome to the Guide Jonathon, it is nice to see some other from the "T" dot "O" here on the forum. Hope you'll stick around. I also share you dismay with regards to the price on components in Canada just have to catch bargains when they fly, but they don't come often enough. So hang in there, you'll get all answers soon enough. Just ask.

Cheers mate!

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
            CLIVE

Comment

• Jon SS
              • Oct 2002

I just actually moved to Toronto from the UK. I noticed that unlike in the US or UK, components in Canada always sell for MRSP. Is this the case?

Comment

• Steve Goff
                • Feb 2002

I have the RDA-7, and love it. Here is my review from a few months back: http://www.htguide.com/CFBoards/inde...FB=1&TID=39116

Steve Goff
                Steve Goff

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                  Former Moderator
                  • Jan 2002

Originally posted by Jon SS
                  I just actually moved to Toronto from the UK. I noticed that unlike in the US or UK, components in Canada always sell for MRSP. Is this the case?
                  Unfortunately, yes! In most cases that's the deal. You may, however (if you strike up a good relationship with the guys) may give you a break in price. Get to know the guys at your local store. Buy a thing or two and show them support, they'll come around

CLIVE

CLIVE

Comment

• Lee
                    • Oct 2002

Just to let you guys know. The RDA-7 amp is based on a design by Balance Audio.

Comment

• HTNUT
                      • Mar 2003

How would ROTEL AMPS (RMB 1095 and RB 1080) do with the RDC7. Do you need higher echelon AMPS to get the most from the RDC7 or will it do well with the ROTELS?

Anybody using ROTELS with their RDC7??

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"