X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • danyu
    • Nov 2001

How bad is RDC-7 base management?

Hi,
    I've got an RDC-7 on order, but have been reading more and more about bass management complaints. I'll be using this unit with a Parasound HCA-2205a amp and a set of Atlantic Tech 370THX speakers. The front channels are "supposed" to be full-range. What would be the best choice of speaker setting? I would probably guess that "large" would be better, but does that mean that my sub performance would be limited? I'm wondering just how bad a problem the lack of bass management will be?

Has anyone used something like an Outlaw ICBM with this unit? Is it a good match? Does this solve the problem?

The rest of my sound system consists of a Panasonic RP-91 DVD, Sony SCD-C222es SACD player (using the RDC-7's 5.1 input), and RCA HDTV receiver.

Any thoughts?

Dan
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Dan -

I can understand your concern, given the volume of discussion given to the bass management "issue" for the RDC-7 various places, and given that you have not yet had the opportunity to hook it up in your own system and see how it really sounds with your other equipment.

However, with your THX-certified Atlantic Technology speakers, you are sitting in the cat-bird seat with the RDC-7's bass management (that's a GOOD thing.) :>) Using your THX-certified speakers, there will be no problem using the bass management options in the THX-Ultra certified RDC-7 -- they were designed to work together.

Your speakers are rated to 80 hz -- the THX-standard crossover -- so they would be set to "small". "Small" refers to the bass extension characteristics of the speaker, not the actual physical dimensions. For rated specs: http://www.atlantictechnology.com/pub/pages/370/370.html

Your SACD player has built-in multichannel DSP for bass redirection and channel level adjustment to let you setup your SACD output to "get the most out of your 5.1-channel speaker system". So depending on what the Sony's SACD bass management does, or doesn't do, the ICBM might be a worthwhile addition for SACD -- if you get the system set up and, in listening to your music, you find that the perceived bass is still lacking in the 5.1 analog pass-through mode. But since your sub will be operating and the bass presumably does not need to be redirected (since all your other speakers only go down to the THX-standard 80 hz anyway), I am optimistic that you will not need to add an ICBM for satisfactory SACD playback.

The "complaints" about RDC-7 bass management have been primarily from:

1) those of us who are using the RDC-7 with non-THX-certified speakers that have frequency response characteristics which could possibly benefit from more "flexible" bass management options than the THX-standard provides for,

2) and from those who are NOT RDC-7 owners but want to find some fault with the unit to try to dissuade prospective buyers from getting it. Frankly, this one issue is about all the ammunition they have in that effort. :>)

And, although I have been one of the most vocal requestors of more flexible bass management options for the RDC-7, (and I almost didn't buy it because of this issue -- which would have been a real mistake), in "real life" listening, the lack of more flexible bass-management options gets swept away by the other stellar attributes it brings to bear, even for those of us with speakers whose bass cuts off above, or extends below, 80hz.

You are buying a great pre/pro. Based on the experience of many satisfied owners with a wide range of different components in their systems, I am confident that the RDC-7 will work hand-in-glove with your other equipment. If you need advice on menu settings, etcetera, once you have the RDC-7 in hand, don't hesitate to ask -- we're here to help!

Enjoy!

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• danyu
      • Nov 2001

Thanks, Burke! That is great and useful information. I can't wait to get the unit. I'll let you know how it sounds on the AT370's. Thanks again for your help,
      Dan

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"