X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dmantis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2004

B&K

Sorry I have been away from the forums but sadly I come in with only bad news .

B&K has closed the doors. It's a sad day in our Industry and I personally feel the pain. I have been Installing B&K products since 1999. I have owned a few of them myself. I will greatly miss this wonderful company.

But like others they made a poor decision in their last Preamp in the ref70. It was just about a finished product but couldn't hold it's own again everyone else had to offer. Shame a few things and it could have been to one to own.
    It also had many faults. But there was a lot of talk about bringing out a new model with room correction and built in processing. This is where they lacked and it would have been really nice to see a new preamp to save the company.

I didn't sell them anymore due to the problems I had in the field with them. I loved there amps and multi room systems , they never had any real issues.

So there you have it , bad news .
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

It is really sad how they went out. The Ref 70 should have been an unequalled piece at it's price point. B&K really had a shot to nab that section of the market. Oh well!

I still enjoy my Ref 50. As much as I would enjoy having an HDMI pre/pro, I cannot find any other reason to give up on the B&K. It still sounds great and does it's job well.
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• fourxmotion
      • Aug 2009

Update: They might be saved by ATI.

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

That was a good read.Thanks for posting the link.

I think ATI may be a good company to accuire B&K. Time will tell.
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• scarpi
          • Jul 2008

Sad news indeed. I have a Ref 200.5 series two amp that is only about two years old and a Ref 30 preamp. Love both of them. I was hoping in the future to replace my Ref 30 with a new B&K preamp. Hopefully they will reorganize and be back. Just wondering what can you do if you have a problem with an amp or preamp and the manufacturer is no longer in business?

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Well, I heard that one of their repairman was going into business for himself. Not sure how accurate the info is though.

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

I didn't know that ATI also acquired Theta Digital. If they can get the B&K name back out and with positive reviews there's a decent chance it'll work, although the economy does cast a bit of a shadow on things. Best of luck to them.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Bummer.
                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                - Pleasantville

Comment

• Glen B
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by John Holmes
                  That was a good read.Thanks for posting the link.

I think ATI may be a good company to accuire B&K. Time will tell.
                  Its a done deal. B&K is back in business, with ATI at the helm. :dancenana:
                  B&K is an iconic American retail and CI brand known for high-quality electronics at reasonable prices.

Comment

• John Holmes
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

I'm of course happy about the news but... only time will tell what this really means. Here's to keeping my fingers crossed.

Comment

• Lex
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Apr 2001

it's really amazing that Theta Digital went down hard, such a fine processor they made. I'd have owned one if I had a spare 10-12 grand at the time. But setup was no piece of cake they said, but this is about BK, who knows for sure ATI's motives, maybe to restore it, maybe to rob it, I don't know.
                      Doug
                      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Dmantis
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jun 2004

I'm looking forward to seeing the outcome. I would like nothing more then B&K to release a new receiver and preamp. I personally think the Ref70 and AVR707 was the killer of the business. I find those 2 products to be flawed in many ways.

Never a question on the amps they built or the multiroom audio video system which performs extremely well.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"