X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nuthed
    • Jan 2007

Integra vs Rotel

Post deleted. I guess no one wanted to offer an opinion.
    Last edited by Nuthed; 21 December 2007, 11:11 Friday.
    Main System

RSX-972 driving center and surrounds
    RB980-BX driving mains
    Paradigm Monitor 9s V5
    Paradigm Monitor C-390 V5
    Paradigm Monitor Atoms V5
    SVS PB-12
  • Nuthed
    • Jan 2007

I decided to repost my original question because the same type of question was asked by another poster over on the Rotel forum asking about Marantz. So here it goes.

I currently have a Rotel RSX-972 receiver. I also have a PS3. The Rotel would be fine if the PS3 had analog outs. I want/need a receiver with HDMI audio capability. The Rotel offering is $2000. :E

The Integra line has sparked my interest. Specifically the DTR 6.8.
    My question(s) are; does anybody own this receiver, and if so how do they like it?

Also, how does anyone think it compares, if they have the expirience, to a Rotel receiver, sound quality wise?

With home theater I'm sure most any receiver would do an admirable job, but when listening to music a lot of receivers lose some detail, or so most reviewers would have us believe anyway. Has anybody come to this conclusion?

I am truly interested in the Integra products. My dealer carries them, and speaks highly of them, but he tells me he doesn't think I will be able to accept the lower SQ as opposed to my Rotel, he also sells Rotel btw.

I am unwilling to spend $2000 right now for the Rotel offering that would fill my needs so $1000 or less for a DTR 6.8 looks pretty good right now.
    Main System

RB980-BX driving mains
    Paradigm Monitor 9s V5
    SVS PB-12

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

I don't own the 6.8 (I have the 6.4) and I have been very satisfied for music (my system is based more around audio than video). I was looking at Integra, Arcam and Rotel as my three finalists and, with everything factored in, the Integra gave me just about the same as the other two (I'd call the other two a wash) for significantly less money. I originally went with the Arcam anyway (but owing to QC issues with two receivers, my dealer sweetened the Integra offer as compensation) but as I needed to switch to the Integra, I have not been at all disappointed. Moreover, I've come to appreciate a number of features on my Integra that were lacking in both other options.

I did side by side comparisons and the difference was extremely slight. In the end, I've been extremely satisfied with the Integra and when it comes time to upgrade (which won't be for a while), the only thing that would make not get another Integra would be a must have feature that is not available with them (and I can't imagine what that might be) OR if I came into some serious money and decided to go uptown like McIntosh or Sim Audio or Meridian. Barring that, I will happily get another Integra down the line.

Comment

• Nuthed
        • Jan 2007

Thanks. So you really like the Integra for music? Thats good. I used to be a 80% music 20% HT guy. Marriage and a 2 year old will change that. Now its Shrek and Shark Tale. :B

Guess I'll put my RSX-972 and 2 RB-980BXs on ebay tonight and cough up the remainder for an DTR 6.8.

Again thanks.
        Main System

RB980-BX driving mains
        Paradigm Monitor 9s V5
        SVS PB-12

Comment

• Ovation
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

I empathize. I was about 70/30 before kids. Now its about 40/60 (2 kids--2 and 6). But when the younger is about 5 or so, the elder will be able to watch him and I can, perhaps, reverse that to 60/40. Maybe.

In any event, I wish you good luck with the 6.8. My hi-res audio collection (about 120 discs all told, about 90 SACD) sounds fantastic through my 6.4. Enjoy (and just think--with the savings, you can buy more music).

Comment

• Nuthed
            • Jan 2007

There doesn't seem to be much action on the Integra forums.....maybe you Integra owners spend your time using your "toys" instead of posting about them? :B

I'll have a new DTR 6.8 as soon as my ebay auction is over for my Rotel. :T
            Main System

RB980-BX driving mains
            Paradigm Monitor 9s V5
            SVS PB-12

Comment

• Ovation
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Nuthed
              There doesn't seem to be much action on the Integra forums.....maybe you Integra owners spend your time using your "toys" instead of posting about them? :B

I'll have a new DTR 6.8 as soon as my ebay auction is over for my Rotel. :T
              I've often thought the same thing and concluded that with gear (as opposed to media), people tend to post if something is wrong. Since there are so few posts, the only logical conclusion is that Integras are extremely reliable and perform well. (at least, that's my story and I'm sticking to it). :T

Comment

• DrJRapp
                Super Senior Member
                • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Ovation
                I've often thought the same thing and concluded that with gear (as opposed to media), people tend to post if something is wrong. Since there are so few posts, the only logical conclusion is that Integras are extremely reliable and perform well. (at least, that's my story and I'm sticking to it). :T
                I think that's a valid assumption. At least my experience backs it up.

However, there is something else that needs to be considered. These forums are the epicenter for the entire worlds conversation about Rotel, Classe and B&W. Few people post on other forums about those brands because it is well known in the industry that this is the place to come to discuss those products. You may not have been around long enough to remember a few years ago when "Club Rotel" was acknowledged as the most popular BB on the web....not just in Rotel, but in everything.
                Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• DeepPurple23
                  • Dec 2004

I know that I'm late to this thread and while the Integra is a fine piece of equipment (I'm getting one for the TV room), from a music stand point, especially with SACD, it can not keep pace with the new Rotels. I believe your dealer to be correct, you will miss the SQ.

Keep in mind that you can't purchase the Integra's on line so that is probably more the reason that you see less on them and it is true, you rarely see anyone complaining about them.

Good luck and let is know how you like your new unit.

Comment

• wettou
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • May 2006

Originally posted by DeepPurple23
                    I know that I'm late to this thread and while the Integra is a fine piece of equipment (I'm getting one for the TV room), from a music stand point, especially with SACD, it can not keep pace with the new Rotels. I believe your dealer to be correct, you will miss the SQ. Keep in mind that you can't purchase the Integra's on line so that is probably more the reason that you see less on them and it is true, you rarely see anyone complaining about them. Good luck and let is know how you like your new unit.
                    Let's see Rotel made in China and Integra made in Japan for the higher end pieces hum....
                    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Ken49r
                      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by wettou
                      Let's see Rotel made in China and Integra made in Japan for the higher end pieces hum....
                      I believe Onkyo / Integra are owned by a company in Japan.

Comment

• bigburner
                        Super Senior Member
                        • May 2005

Originally posted by wettou
                        wettou, are you suggesting that China is incapable of building a quality receiver?

Did you know that China has embarked on an ambitious program to explore the Moon? It includes robotic explorations and human missions to the Moon using lunar orbiters, rovers and soil return spacecraft, plus a variety of adapted launch vehicles. The first spacecraft of the program, an un-manned lunar orbiter, was successfully launched on October 24, 2007.

Do you really believe that building a quality AV component is beyond them?

I hope that the US government is better informed about China's technology advances. Otherwise the American people will be in for a nasty surprise one day.

Nigel.

Comment

• wettou
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • May 2006

Originally posted by bigburner
                          wettou, are you suggesting that China is incapable of building a quality receiver? Did you know that China has embarked on an ambitious program to explore the Moon? It includes robotic explorations and human missions to the Moon using lunar orbiters, rovers and soil return spacecraft, plus a variety of adapted launch vehicles. The first spacecraft of the program, an un-manned lunar orbiter, was successfully launched on October 24, 2007. Do you really believe that building a quality AV component is beyond them? I hope that the US government is better informed about China's technology advances. Otherwise the American people will be in for a nasty surprise one day. Nigel.
                          All I am saying is that usually Product made in China are not of good quality today!! On top of that anybody cares for Milk with Melanine or Toys with lead!!

China is very capable to deliver very good quality they choose not to... Yes we know they have nukes, and biological weapons....
                          Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"