X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mattburk
    • Feb 2003

check out the secrets review:

home theater, high fidelity, high end, amplifiers, receivers, projectors, movies, vcrs, cds, laserdiscs, stereo, surround sound, dolby digital, dts, subwoofer, speakers, reviews, video, audio, dvd, digital audio, tubes, consumer electronics, home entertainment, preamplifiers, processors, cables, TVs, AC line conditioners, velodyne, monitor audio, sunfire, paradigm, meridian, nordost, exact power, redgum, osborn, m&k, mirage, perpetual technologies, anthem, sonic frontiers, htdv, dss

He does not say much about two channel, but he loves the onkyo.
    www.mycstone.com
    www.coverednow.com
    www.biarenton.com

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Yeah, seems he likes it!
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

I guess if I were building my system today, this would be on my short list (especially since I've been extremely pleased overall with my Integra DTR 6.4--lower on the "food chain" but still eminently satisfying at its price point when I bought it). As it is, though, I have no complaints with my current gear, so it would be hard to justify an upgrade to myself. Ah well, if some "rich uncle" leaves me a fortune, I won't need to justify it.

To those lucky enough to have one of these, enjoy.

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

The only chance I've had to listen to an Integra piece, was about 6-7 yrs ago. I don't recall the model but, it was a rcvr. It was at an audio store, setup with three B&W 800 series with the bubble tops (I don't know the actual model) across the front. And the bi or dipole B&W rears ( the one's with the tweeter on top). And a B&W sub. It was a 5.1 system.

I was and am to this day, still impressed by that demo! The clarity, dynamics and seamless pans were truly jaw dropping. The bass was very clean. With punch when called for, and depth with good decay.

From that day on, I've had high respect for the Interga line (B&W's too!). This review seems to point out to me, that this company is still hitting the mark, with quality performance. I could see the DTC-9.8 in my system.

Now, where it that rich uncle!
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• gostan
            • May 2003

Originally posted by mattburk
            check out the secrets review:

home theater, high fidelity, high end, amplifiers, receivers, projectors, movies, vcrs, cds, laserdiscs, stereo, surround sound, dolby digital, dts, subwoofer, speakers, reviews, video, audio, dvd, digital audio, tubes, consumer electronics, home entertainment, preamplifiers, processors, cables, TVs, AC line conditioners, velodyne, monitor audio, sunfire, paradigm, meridian, nordost, exact power, redgum, osborn, m&k, mirage, perpetual technologies, anthem, sonic frontiers, htdv, dss

He does not say much about two channel, but he loves the onkyo.
            Do not purchase the Integra 9.8 for two channel. Surround/MC via HDMI is what it is designed to do and does best.
            Stan

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

I think he's referring to using it in a multi use system. Like me I have 1 system for music and HT. So 2 channel performance is important to us. But HT is also important.

Comment

• Ovation
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

My DTR 6.4 is very capable in 2 channel mode, so I'd expect the DTC 9.8 to be at least (in a worst case scenario--and "worst" is relative) as good as my receiver and, far more likely, much better.

Comment

• mattburk
                  • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Dougie085
                  I think he's referring to using it in a multi use system. Like me I have 1 system for music and HT. So 2 channel performance is important to us. But HT is also important.
                  yep, right on.
                  www.mycstone.com
                  www.coverednow.com
                  www.biarenton.com

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by gostan
                    Do not purchase the Integra 9.8 for two channel. Surround/MC via HDMI is what it is designed to do and does best.
                    It really depends more on the sources and less on the number of channels, imho.
                    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• RebelMan
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                      This is true. But having said that I doubt you would make supplanting use of one ( DTC 9.8 ) for two channel sources. :W
                      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• gostan
                        • May 2003

But if I want to use the DACS in my CDP via 2 CH analog in to the Integra, don't the analog op amps in the Integra come into play. Several users over at AVS have reported issues with 2 CH PQ in such instances, likely due to issues with the analog stages of the 9.8. It may be that those users, like myself, have 2 channel preamps or some other better sounding solution for 2 CH than the 9.8. Integra purchasers should not expect 2 CH nirvana for their $1600 msrp purchase.
                        Stan

Comment

• DrJRapp
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Apr 2003

While I agree with this statement, Stan, as it turns out the 9.8 is more than "adequite" as a two channel performer when combined in a theater application, although I would perhaps make a different choice if my utilization was "primarily" 2 channel. That having been said, when teamed with proper equipment,the 9.8s ultra low noise and extremely low distortion characteristics make it very suitable for combined two channel and multi-channel applications. Initially, the 9.8 seemed a bit "thin" by comparison to the Anthem D2, however, after a through run in, which took quite awhile, (about 75hs) it fleshed out very well.

While I wouldn't begin to compare the 2 channel sound of the Toshiba/ Integra/Klipsch in my dedicated theater with my Theta Digital/ Balanced Audio Technology/Martin Logan 2 channel only rig in my family room the 9.8 has occasionally been pressed into service in the theater to provide some 2 channel background music as I work on things in that room. I've found that with the Oppo 970 HDMI output, or better yet the Toshiba XA1 toslink outputting to the 9.8 (therefore using the 9.8s internal DACs) that 2 channel is musical, smooth and robust with much of the lush midrange that I experienced with the D2. Low end is prodigious and tight and the high end is just ever so slighly accentuated, while not being overly bright. This is a common tuning with SSPs and receivers that helps make surround steering seem crisper, causing; as a serendipitous benifit, female vocals to be it's forte. Last weekend I was listening to Sarah Brightman's Live From Las Vegas concert and was impressed with the overall presence and involvement. Now that the theater is complete, it's tied up most of the time playing movies, but perhaps soon I can get an opportunity to plug in the Shanling and sit down and do some critical listening to 2 channel.
                          Last edited by DrJRapp; 07 December 2007, 19:15 Friday.
                          Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by RebelMan
                            This is true. But having said that I doubt you would make supplanting use of one ( DTC 9.8 ) for two channel sources. :W
                            If the 2channel source is a decent quality CD transport, I would (and I do). Not for an analog source, even from that same CD.

Kal
                            Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2006

But if I want to use the DACS in my CDP via 2 CH analog in to the Integra, don't the analog op amps in the Integra come into play.
                              Sure. That's why I specified source to distinguish between an analog source and a digital one. Using an analog source, one encumbers the analog input stage of the 9.8 and cannot avail one's self of the processing unless one also encumbers the additional burden of A/D. The number of channels is not relevant, imho, to this issue.

Kal
                              Kal Rubinson

Comment

• RebelMan
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Mar 2005

If the 2channel source is a decent quality CD transport, I would (and I do). Not for an analog source, even from that same CD.
                                So, given the same quality source player and media, you would rather engage the DTC for stereo instead of a dedicated pre-amplifier? Are you still using the BelCanto or something else in your comparison?

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2006

So, given the same quality source player and media, you would rather engage the DTC for stereo instead of a dedicated pre-amplifier? Are you still using the BelCanto or something else in your comparison?
                                  I didn't say that. The BC is still in use (it is multichannel) but in another system. The DTC is in a 'lesser' system and, in the context, it is more than adequate for all things digital.

Kal
                                  Kal Rubinson

Comment

• RebelMan
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2005

Gotcha.

Comment

• mattburk
                                      • Feb 2003

Its pretty dead here. Any other updates/comparisions?
                                      www.mycstone.com
                                      www.coverednow.com
                                      www.biarenton.com

Comment

• mitch57
                                        • Nov 2004

I just got mine last week. I'm loving it so far. The surround steering is excellent. Much, much better then my Denon 3805. So far I am very impressed with this unit.

I will report again with more details once I've had some time to play with it and run it through the paces.
                                        Mitch
                                        :stupidpc:

Comment

• mattburk
                                          • Feb 2003

sounds great, thanks
                                          www.mycstone.com
                                          www.coverednow.com
                                          www.biarenton.com

Comment

• Blindamood
                                            • Sep 2003

Just got my January issue of Stereophile yesterday, with a nice review of this processor by Kal. Be sure to check it out!
                                            Brad

Comment

• Chris D
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Dec 2000

Oh, yeah? Must go see...
                                              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                              - Pleasantville

Comment

• jayhawk75
                                                • Apr 2006

has anyone else given thought of going with onkyo pro pr-sc885p? apparentlly these are available and the cover over many of the front panel swiches is more pleasing to the eye. the only concern i have is the single sub output.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Blindamood
                                                  Just got my January issue of Stereophile yesterday, with a nice review of this processor by Kal. Be sure to check it out!
                                                  So did I and I thought it was interesting when I directed some cut to the chase questions on stereo performance specifically regarding the BelCanto Pre6 he skirted the issue here yet in the article he spelled it right out. Although, I got his implicit message before the article was published.

He still has yet to answer the question of wether he would prefer the DTC + digital source transport over an anolog pre-amplifier + digital source and DAC, in the same system, i.e., all else being equal. Although I doubt he has the guts to say it here. (I am taunting you again Kal! :twisted: )

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Mar 2006

He still has yet to answer the question of wether he would prefer the DTC + digital source transport over an anolog pre-amplifier + digital source and DAC, in the same system, i.e., all else being equal. Although I doubt he has the guts to say it here. (I am taunting you again Kal! :twisted: )
                                                    In this system, yes. I have no analog sources in this system and, since I am all digital, I have not reason to use an analog preamp which would not permit all the essential (imho) DSP and Audyssey without additional A/D/A. Is the DTC better than the BC on analog? Nope but I ain't got any. OK?

Kal
                                                    Kal Rubinson
                                                    _______________________________
                                                    "Music in the Round"
                                                    Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
                                                    http://forum.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Mar 2005

OK?
                                                      Not quite. Clearly the DTC-9.8 excels in the digital domain. It is also understood that it's not quite an anolog power house. The question is, for those with mixed environments would they be better off in the digital domain with the DTC-9.8 for stereo playback or in the analog domain with say the Pre6, as in your case, given the same source?

Digital system ( DTC-9.8 ) vs analog system ( Pre6 ). Not talking about a hybrid system where the DTC-9.8 is used as both an analog and digital hub. I believe this topic is on the same lines that gostan was eluding to earlier.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Mar 2006

Cannot answer. If I had to have a "mixed environment" in that system, I would use an analog pre, like the BC, for analog sources and feed the output of the DTC into one of its MCH inputs. Or, if the analog sources are all stereo, use a pre with an HT bypass. However, I have no intention of doing so.

Some day, there will be an analogous prepro for the main system, too.
                                                        Kal Rubinson
                                                        "Music in the Round"

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Mar 2005

LOL, I anticipated that you would say you have no answer but your explainations of what you would do "if" is helpful nevertheless.

Refresh my memory. The B&W's are your main system and the Paradigms your "lesser" system, correct? What do you consider the top secret ( I have an idea they are from a familiar family ) third system then? Is it a multi-channel setup too? Which location, NYC or CT? My guess would be closer to the B&W's.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • Mar 2005

Some day, there will be an analogous prepro for the main system, too.
                                                            Hmm... perhaps the SSP-800?

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Mar 2006

LOL, I anticipated that you would say you have no answer but your explainations of what you would do "if" is helpful nevertheless.
                                                              I am not trying to be evasive but I have not compared enough A/B to give an explicit answer.

Refresh my memory. The B&W's are your main system and the Paradigms your "lesser" system, correct? What do you consider the top secret ( I have an idea they are from a familiar family ) third system then? Is it a multi-channel setup too? Which location, NYC or CT? My guess would be closer to the B&W's.
                                                              Way off. It is a little system in my office. It consists of a Sharp all-in-one SDPX2 (AM/FM/CD/DVD/DVD-A/SACD, 5.1 prepro, 5channel amp), 5 miniature Celestions and a lash-up sub.

Kal
                                                              Kal Rubinson
                                                              "Music in the Round"

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Mar 2006

Hmm... perhaps the SSP-800?
                                                                Mebbe but I am hoping that Meridian can update my Ref 861 to handle HDMI and the new codecs.

Kal
                                                                Kal Rubinson
                                                                "Music in the Round"

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                  • Mar 2005

Way off. It is a little system in my office. It consists of a Sharp all-in-one SDPX2 (AM/FM/CD/DVD/DVD-A/SACD, 5.1 prepro, 5channel amp), 5 miniature Celestions and a lash-up sub.
                                                                  Definitely way off. I had the new Studio2's in mind. Sorry about that Kal.

Comment

• clewlor
                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                    • Dec 2006

I have placed my order for the DTC-9.8 and should have it in a couple of weeks hopefully. I have a question as it relates to the 2-channel discussion earlier in this thread, as I don't fully understand the points being made.

As this is my sole system, would it make sense to employ a dedicated CD player and run analog out to the DTC? Would relying on the DACs in the CD player improve upon the 2-channel performance versus using the Integra's DACs? If the "issue" is that the DTC is okay for 2-channel performance, would having a really good source improve sound quality?

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Mar 2006

The issue is not 2-channel vs. multichannel. It is analog source vs. digital source!

Kal
                                                                      Kal Rubinson
                                                                      "Music in the Round"

Comment

• clewlor
                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                        • Dec 2006

I guess I was trying to figure something out. I have sold my Classe SSP-300 which I enjoyed from a 2-channel perspective using a Rotel DVD player with coax out to the processor. I sold it for a few different reasons - hdmi video/audio capabilities, financial, etc. Do you think I will lose a lot using the Integra for stereo playback of CDs? I would hate to find that I will notice a huge difference here.

Comment

• fibercut
                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                          • Dec 2007

Just Picked Up my 9.8

Just picked up my 9.8 getting ready to hook up any tips from anyone? If anyone is interested my dealer in westwood,nj has 2 more in stock.

Comment

• Ron Reda
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Jan 2003
                                                                            • 109

Originally posted by clewlor
                                                                            I guess I was trying to figure something out. I have sold my Classe SSP-300 which I enjoyed from a 2-channel perspective using a Rotel DVD player with coax out to the processor. I sold it for a few different reasons - hdmi video/audio capabilities, financial, etc. Do you think I will lose a lot using the Integra for stereo playback of CDs? I would hate to find that I will notice a huge difference here.
                                                                            clewlor,

I am in a similar boat...I've currently got a Musical Fidelity A3 CD player as a transport feeding a Musical Fidelity A324 DAC which runs analog L/R to my current Rotel RSP-1066. It sounds absolutely wonderful with a quality recording. At first, I was nervous about moving from the sound of the Rotel to the sound of the Integra considering the use of the analog connections but then figured the Rotel is merely passing the analog signal (those that own this piece can you post if this not the case?). I'm praying that the analog section of the Integra is at least on par (or better) than the Rotel. Plus, I also thought that some internal parts may have been improved in the 6 years that I've owned the Rotel.

So, to the owners of the 9.8, what would be my best option for 2 channel...run CD player digital > DAC > analog out from the DAC to the 9.8 or run digital from CD player > DAC > 9.8?

Comment

• Ovation
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • Sep 2004
                                                                              • 2202

I'm no expert, but would not running CD player > DAC > 9.8 in an all digital fashion make the DAC redundant? I would see your options as either CD>DAC>analogue to 9.8 or CD>9.8 in an all digital path. Just my 2 cents. I'm open to having someone more knowledgeable than me to explain why placing an extra DAC in an all digital path would be an option worth considering.

Comment

• Ron Reda
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Jan 2003
                                                                                • 109

Originally posted by Ovation
                                                                                I'm no expert, but would not running CD player > DAC > 9.8 in an all digital fashion make the DAC redundant? I would see your options as either CD>DAC>analogue to 9.8 or CD>9.8 in an all digital path. Just my 2 cents. I'm open to having someone more knowledgeable than me to explain why placing an extra DAC in an all digital path would be an option worth considering.
                                                                                Ovation,

My bad...the reasoning is that the DAC takes the digital signal from the CD transport and upsamples it to 192kHz.

Comment

• Ovation
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Sep 2004
                                                                                  • 2202

Ah. In that case, my deciding factor would be whether I was planning to keep my sub in the 2 channel mix. As I have standmount speakers that benefit greatly from a sub, I would then opt for the digital path to keep the sub active. However, if that is not important, then I would do a comparison (as blind as I could make it with the help of a friend or two) and go with the one that sounds best to me.

I have an Integra receiver (a DTR 6.4--I'm not playing in the same league as those currently considering/owning a DTC 9.8, but the relative point I'm getting at still applies, I think) and a Cambridge Audio 540D DVD player (I have a lot of other stuff too, but they are the principle components for my 2 channel listening). I bought the 540D because it bested (to my ears) a head to head with the 540C and a NAD C541i for redbook playback. In essence, I liked its DAC best (unconventional, but there it is). A bonus for me is that I can configure the 540D in 2.1 mode in the player, so I can bypass the receiver's DACs (no slouch in their category, but not as pleasant to me as the CA 540D) AND keep my sub in play.

Your player will not let you do that (I don't think), nor will your outboard DAC. So if the sub is NOT a factor, I think you should let your ears decide. If the sub is a factor, then the all digital path is likely best.

Comment

• Ron Reda
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Jan 2003
                                                                                    • 109

Originally posted by Ovation
                                                                                    Ah. In that case, my deciding factor would be whether I was planning to keep my sub in the 2 channel mix. As I have standmount speakers that benefit greatly from a sub, I would then opt for the digital path to keep the sub active. However, if that is not important, then I would do a comparison (as blind as I could make it with the help of a friend or two) and go with the one that sounds best to me.

I have an Integra receiver (a DTR 6.4--I'm not playing in the same league as those currently considering/owning a DTC 9.8, but the relative point I'm getting at still applies, I think) and a Cambridge Audio 540D DVD player (I have a lot of other stuff too, but they are the principle components for my 2 channel listening). I bought the 540D because it bested (to my ears) a head to head with the 540C and a NAD C541i for redbook playback. In essence, I liked its DAC best (unconventional, but there it is). A bonus for me is that I can configure the 540D in 2.1 mode in the player, so I can bypass the receiver's DACs (no slouch in their category, but not as pleasant to me as the CA 540D) AND keep my sub in play.

Your player will not let you do that (I don't think), nor will your outboard DAC. So if the sub is NOT a factor, I think you should let your ears decide. If the sub is a factor, then the all digital path is likely best.
                                                                                    Good call, thanks! I definitely do not want the sub in the mix as I have floorstanding front speakers that can handle "normal" bass from CDs. I guess I'll try it out in analog.

Also, for 9.8 owners...is there a sound mode that completely bypasses all processing? On my Rotel, "stereo" can be configured to bypass the sub completely, so this mode has no processing applied to it at all. I think the Onkyo version has "pure audio" or something like that. Does "direct" accomplish the same thing on the 9.8?

Comment

• mitch57
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Nov 2004
                                                                                      • 429

Originally posted by Ron Reda
                                                                                      Good call, thanks! I definitely do not want the sub in the mix as I have floorstanding front speakers that can handle "normal" bass from CDs. I guess I'll try it out in analog.

Also, for 9.8 owners...is there a sound mode that completely bypasses all processing? On my Rotel, "stereo" can be configured to bypass the sub completely, so this mode has no processing applied to it at all. I think the Onkyo version has "pure audio" or something like that. Does "direct" accomplish the same thing on the 9.8?
                                                                                      Direct on the 9.8 bypasses all the procession done in the 9.8. My understanding is that the difference between "Pure Audio" and "Direct" is that "Pure Audio" (on the Onkyo Pro 885 which is pretty much identical to the 9.8 ) turns off the units front panel display. The front panel display on the Integra 9.8 can not be turned off. It can only be dimmed.
                                                                                      Mitch
                                                                                      :stupidpc:

Comment

• cadman
                                                                                        Member
                                                                                        • Sep 2003
                                                                                        • 73

Integra dtc 9.8

any body connected this pre/amp with a pc in HDMI ? I tryed and not able to sink can anybody help? my PC works with HD-DVD in to projector 1080P

Comment

• B&W 700 Guy
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Jun 2006
                                                                                          • 138

Originally posted by cadman
                                                                                          any body connected this pre/amp with a pc in HDMI ? I tryed and not able to sink can anybody help? my PC works with HD-DVD in to projector 1080P
                                                                                          The computer video card is it DVI or HDMI? If it is DVI, I don't think it will have HDCP. If it is HDMI coming out of the card, does it have a version? I use my s-video output on my video card and let Reon upconvert it to 1080I. It does a real good job!

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                            • Jan 2006
                                                                                            • 16073

Your wrong my card is DVI and it has HDCP and has no issues connecting to my TV and playing Blu-Ray and HD-DVD to it. I'm not sure about through the receiver though.

Edit: This doesn't mean that all DVI video cards are HDCP there are a lot that aren't.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"