• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hawklan
    • Nov 2004

Multi-Channel Passthrough

Hi

I hope you guys can help me again

I seem to be having a problem with the Multi Channel input between my RDC7 and RDV1

Using alternatively the supplied DB25 to DB25 cable and a custom made DB25 to 8 channel cable all I seem to get it stereo when playing DVD Audio disks and 5.1 DVD's

I have enabled Muti-channel audio on my source on the RDC7 menu option 2.2 and pressed the Audio button on the remote until Multi-Channel is selected

Using test tones from a calibration disk I can confirm that the front left and right channels are working OK but the centre and surrounds are just produced in stereo through the front left and right speakers.

Many thanks

RON
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Your calibration disk is probably encoded in Dolby Digital. The RDV-1 manual has some troubleshooting help on page 61 that may or may not apply to your situation:

Symptoms:
    Multi-channel audio
    sound tracks can only be heard in 2-channel
    stereo.
    Cause:
    • Dolby Digital and MPEG2 sound tracks
    recorded on DVD-Video are output in
    2-channel stereo.
    Remedies:
    • Make digital connections between
    the component and an amplifier or
    receiver capable of decoding multichannel
    Dolby Digital and MPEG2*
    sound tracks.

Check out pages 14 and 15 of the RDV-1 manual for more details on how to hook up the components and select multichannel output from the DVD player.

Good luck!

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Hawklan
      • Nov 2004

Hi Burke

Thanks for that

Unfortunatley it still didn't work

You mention selecting multichannel output from the DVD player - I can't seem to find this option - This seems to be an option on the RDV1.1 but not the RDV1 - It's probably just me being dense but can you guide me to the correct area in the manual

Many thanks again

RON

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

DVD-Audio should be working if you have the RDV-7's 5.1 multichannel output connected properly to the RDC-7. But Dolby Digital could easily be limited to two channel by inadvertently selecting as your Audio Setting "analog Two Channel" output or another restrictive setting such as "PCM". What you want for both Dolby Digital and DTS output is "Bitstream". Check out pages 36, 46 and 50.

Comment

• Hawklan
          • Nov 2004

Hi Burke

Thanks again

All seems to be connected properly but the DVD Audio disks that I have produce only stereo.
          Regarding Dolby Digital I have set the Dolby Digital and DTS outputs to "Bitstream" - But still stereo sound is all I get

Page 36 details a option that I haven't tried yet (changing the audio using the audio/up button whilst the disk is playing) - I'll give that a go tonight

I'm going to hook the 5.1 outputs from my LynxTwoB sound card within my Home Cinema Computer to the RDC7. If this doesn't work then the problem may be with the RDC7.
          Settings wise with the RCD7 seems to only require me to enable Mutli Channel Input for my source and press the Audio button on the remote until Multi-Channel audio is selected - Is there any more on the RDC7 that I need to do?

This seems to be a fairly common problem on this forum - though others had not been using RDV1 but instead used other DVD Audio Players

I must say this problem aside I am very happy with the Integra Research range (having rejected Tag, Meridian and Lexicon in favour of the RDC7/RDA7 in particular)

Thanks again for all your help

RON

Comment

• Burke Strickland
            • Sep 2001

It looks like you have already covered the two key items on the RDC-7, which are the Menu 2-2 setting to Multichannel = "Yes" for the selected input and toggling the remote's Audio button until "Multichannel" shows on the display.

Assuming those settings are both correct, then since you are only getting sound from the front two main channels, I'd suggest re-plugging in the various cables connected on the multichannel connection to see if anything is coming over the wire, so to speak, for the other channels. In other words, swap out the left and right with the surround left and right and see if you still get anything from the left and right speakers (depends on the source material having something in those channels of course).

If the re-connections demonstrate that the RDV-1 is properly feedingt he RDC-7, there is then possibility that the connections or the amplification downstream from the RDC-7 for the other channels is faulty. Double check all the connections, making sure the cables are securely plugged in to the correct inputs on the power amp(s) and depending on what kind of amplification you are using, make sure the other amps are properly connected and actually turned on.

I've accidentally turned off my amp supporting the surround channels and center on more than one occasion and wondered why the surround sound field had collapsed. Flipping the power switch to "on" in that situation is an easy fix. :>)

Another possibility is blown fuses in the power amps if everything else is connected right, and you have determined via the multichannel cable switch-out that the RDv/RDC combo is working right. On some amps, the fuses are an externally accessible user-replaceable item, while on others, it requires removing the case thus can be a warranty-breaker if you do it instead of an "authorized service center".

Good luck!

Burke

Comment

• Hawklan
              • Nov 2004

Hi Burke

Success :B

I was given a Phillips 963SA DVD player hooked up the multi channel out to my RDC7 and it worked (a mite quiet - but I can get around that) - terrible picture when compared to my RDV1

I think the problem with the RDV1 is DD down-mixing to 2 channel point that you advised earlier

Symptoms:
              Multi-channel audio
              sound tracks can only be heard in 2-channel
              stereo.
              Cause:
              • Dolby Digital and MPEG2 sound tracks
              recorded on DVD-Video are output in
              2-channel stereo.

Regarding the DVD audio tracks presenting only 2 channel it might be that the only DVD A disk that I have is mainly (or totally encoded in 2 channel)

So at least now I know that when I get a HD DVD player with 8 channel outs (fingers crossed that one is released - the current batch only provide for 6 channel) it will work

Many thanks for all your help ;x(

RON

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"