X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fidalgoisland
    • Jan 2006

RSP-985 DB25 5.1 CH Input

Sorry if this has already been covered....could not find with search. Does anyone know if it works to connect the RCA 5.1 analog output on a DVD player to the DB25 5.1 analog input on the RSP-985 using a RCA<->DB25 cable? Objective is for SACD and/or DVD-Audio support.
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

After looking at the back pannel diagram on Rotel's site, I guess you could (the manual only shows a DB25 cable running from RSP-985 5.1 output to an amp with a DB25 input).

I have heard it mentioned hear that RCA5.1<>DB25 cables can be rather expensive, but then again, so are 5 high quality RCA audio jacks?!?!

If your into DIY; look here:
    Rotel support is where you will find information about warranty registration, service, software downloads, owner’s manuals and product archives.

and this is what you will see:

pin / Channel
    1 Left +
    2 Center +
    3 Right +
    4 Subwoofer+
    5 Left surround +
    6 Right Surround +
    14 Left -
    15 Center -
    16 Right -
    17 Subwoofer -
    18 Left surround -
    19 Right surround -

Are you wanting to use the decoding processor in you DVD instead of the RSP's?
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

You got it. The DB25 to RCA cables are getting more scarce since it didn't quite take off like THX had hoped.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Originally posted by wkhanna
        Are you wanting to use the decoding processor in you DVD instead of the RSP's?
        He actually has to connect it that way to use SACD/DVDA.

Kevin D.

Comment

• wkhanna
          • Jan 2006

I don't quite have a handle on SACD/DVDA yet. Can you give me a quick lesson?
          _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• fidalgoisland
            • Jan 2006

Thanks for the info. Yes, this is for SACD/DVDA. I have found a few searching the net for around $150.

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

They are high resolutions multi-channel music formats that for the most part can only be sent to a processor using 6 analog RCA cables. You need a DVD player that is capable of decoding one or both of those formats to enjoy them (this is usually a step up from standard DVD players).

Kevin D.

Comment

• gd
                • Jan 2003

Too much to type... read this primer:

May be of interest to you insofar as...
                1. Yours is a music-first system.
                2. The RSP-976 you're considering has connections for it.
                3. Decent universal players can be had for cheap ($150).

The formats are struggling, and depending on your tastes, there may not be enough titles to suit you... but it takes little investment to easily hear the difference even on a modest system.
                greg (gd to you)
                Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• wkhanna
                  • Jan 2006

Wow!!!! Information Overload!!!
                  Great link......Just what I was looking for.
                  Thanks gd!
                  _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Oyama
                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by fidalgoisland
                    Sorry if this has already been covered....could not find with search. Does anyone know if it works to connect the RCA 5.1 analog output on a DVD player to the DB25 5.1 analog input on the RSP-985 using a RCA<->DB25 cable? Objective is for SACD and/or DVD-Audio support.
                    Yes...it definitely works. I use a DB-25 to 2 RCA cable from my SACD player (Sony SCD-777ES) to the RSP-985.

Comment

• fidalgoisland
                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Oyama
                      Yes...it definitely works. I use a DB-25 to 2 RCA cable from my SACD player (Sony SCD-777ES) to the RSP-985.
                      Thanks for the info...what do you mean by "2 RCA"? Is this a typo? I found a cable I think would work but not sure I post the link due to rules for posting cable sites. Maybe I can email. Thanks again.

Comment

• Oyama
                        • Jan 2006

Thanks for the info...what do you mean by "2 RCA"? Is this a typo? I found a cable I think would work but not sure I post the link due to rules for posting cable sites. Maybe I can email. Thanks again.
                        My SCD-777ES is only a 2 channel player, so I only need 2 RCAs out. For multi-channel you would need 5 RCAs out.

Here's a link to the one I'm using. It's a Professional heavy duty DB-25 male connector to 2 RCA Eichmann Bullet plugs.

Also here's the pin-out configuration if you decide to make you own.

A bit off topic here, but do you hear a static like noise when you lower or raise the volume control on your RSP-985?

Comment

• fidalgoisland
                          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Oyama
                          My SCD-777ES is only a 2 channel player, so I only need 2 RCAs out. For multi-channel you would need 5 RCAs out.

Here's a link to the one I'm using. It's a Professional heavy duty DB-25 male connector to 2 RCA Eichmann Bullet plugs.

Also here's the pin-out configuration if you decide to make you own.

A bit off topic here, but do you hear a static like noise when you lower or raise the volume control on your RSP-985?
                          Understand now, thanks. Regarding the static noise...funny you should ask. My 985 was boxed up for about 1.5 yrs due to a move and I just recently started using again and noticed some slight static noise when adjusting the volume that was not there before. I have heard the method you suggested in your orginal post works but wanted someone else to confirm before I tried it. Thanks again.

Comment

• Oyama
                            • Jan 2006

I have heard the method you suggested in your orginal post works but wanted someone else to confirm before I tried it.
                            Same here. Actually it's driving me so crazy that I just may attempt it some time soon. If I do, I'll make sure to let you know...

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"