X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • creggers
    • Jan 2005

what power Amp for RDC-7 ?

I'm using a Sherbourn 5/1500 Power amp with my Integra Research RDC-7, and was wondering what others have mated with it. I have a possible upgrade in mind but only if it would made a reasonable difference.
    My speakers are Dali Helicon's.
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

The RDC-7 does such a fine job controlling surround sound that just about any clean, powerful amp that will adequately drive your speakers will produce satisfactory results. (Of course, some may prove more satisfactory than others in your own environment with your own speakers.) However, with two channel sound, which the RDC-7 also excels at, in my opinion based on years of listening pleasure, the choice of power amp can makea significant difference. The degree of significance, of course, depends on your acceptance or rejection of the notion that different amps can have a different effect on the musical result, and your price sensitivity to the investment required to notice a difference.

So assuming you are searching for high quality and a good match for the RDC-7, both of which seem safe, given your post, there are a number of fine amps that could provide a serious upgrade from what you have now. Of course, they will also cost a bit more than you have invested in your present power amp. But that is often a necessary part of upgrading.

Needless to say, Integra Research's own RDA-7 mates very nicely with the RDC-7. When I bought my RDC-7, my dealer offered me a very tempting package price on the combo, but since I had already invested in the incomparable BEL 1001 Mk V power amp for the front stereo pair, I passed on it. Instead, for multi-channel, I use a Marantz MA-700 monoblock for the center and an Acurus 100x3 for the surrounds. Both the Marantz and the Acurus are very nice amps, and plenty powerful and clean for their respective roles in my system. However they are both out of production, although they do pop up on the used market from time to time.

On the other hand, I have not encountered another amp that can touch the BEL for clean, high current output that belies its rather modest published rating, and phenomenal control. They are solid state, but have none of the harshness sometimes associated with the species. :>) However, they are hard to find, new or used, because each one is basically hand-made and tuned by the engineer who designed them (Richard Brown -- the "B" in BEL, or Brown Electronic Labs) so not many get produced a year and fewer than a dozen stores in the US (or world, for that matter) carry them.

The waiting list for new ones is months long, and the opportunity to buy used ones is almost non-existent, because most people who buy them won't let go of them. If you are fortunate to get one (or more -- they can operate in stereo or bridged mono for even more impact) it (or they) will probably be the last amp(s) you will ever need or want to buy. Not only are they superlative performers, but they are engineered to be virtually indestructable. So that much of the upgrade cycle will end with their purchase.

On the other hand, if you want something actually available that is both powerfl and refined, check out the current offerings by Bryston or Classe. (I'm not going to say the "R" word because I know about a zillion people will volunteer that brand anyway.) :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Minge
      • Feb 2004

I have had over ten amps that I auditioned with my RDC-7 and I would say your room is going to play a huge factor in how the amp sounds with the RDC-7. Your speakers are one of the finest I have heard they are very nuetral and very detailed. I am a big fan of the Parasound amps with the RDC-7. I have a Sherbourn amp and have it in another system in my home and for my room the Sherbourn was not a good match at all for the RDC-7, it was way to laid back. I really enjoy the Sherbourn in a different setting but would encourage you to try a Parasound amp in your system. I had a Bryston and Marantz monoblocks as well and did not care for them in my system. Again, it has much to do with your room so results will vary widely.

Good Luck and let us know what your findings are.

Comment

• creggers
        • Jan 2005

just curious since nobody else responded.... what's the "R" word <G>

On the other hand, if you want something actually available that is both powerfl and refined, check out the current offerings by Bryston or Classe. (I'm not going to say the "R" word because I know about a zillion people will volunteer that brand anyway.) :>)

Burke
        Last edited by Burke Strickland; 11 November 2006, 11:22 Saturday. Reason: Completed the code to highlight "quote"

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"