Urgent - Does anybody own a B&K receiver?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NewBuyer
    • Feb 2005

Urgent - Does anybody own a B&K receiver?

I am very strongly considering a B&K receiver, most likely the AVR507 S2.

Currently I am trying out Rotel separates (RSP-1068, RMB-1075, RT-1080). As soon as the volume is turned past "mute", I get quite noticeable hum and hiss in multiple channels. I have gone through all the usual suspects regarding ground loops, bad interconnects, cabling issues, etc etc etc and the problem is apparently inherent to the products.

So I am considering trading up to the highly regarded B&K receiver line, but I would really like to know how the B&K receiver would stand against these Rotel separates - especially regarding the hiss/hum issues, and the sound quality.

Please advise ASAP? My refund period time is running out... Thanks!
  • Russ359
    • Feb 2005

I have the REF 31 (This is a REF 30 which has been upgraded to a REF 50) along with a the B&K 5 channel 200 watt/channel amp. Set up is great and I would recommend it. The B&K receivers are essentially the B&K pre-amp and amp in one chassis.

Comment

• bubbawilly
      • Jan 2005

The AVR 507 will stand up against any entry-level separates. As Russ359 stated, the 507 S2 is simply the Reference 50 S2 (less the balanced connections), and a cross between the 125 and 200 series amps, all in one box. The AVR's amp section actually has more storage capacitance than the 125.7 series amp.

Good luck!

Comment

• Dmantis
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jun 2004

I personally been back anf forth with this. I come to find that B&K makes incredible products.So does rotel.

It really comes down to how they sound with your speakers. This is where you will find the right answer. I love em both

Dan

Comment

• Adz
          • Jan 2004

Hmmmm......What else does your dealer carry?
          If you can get a cash refund instead and are looking for a receiver, then you should look at the new Arcam AVR300. A whole different league than what you are considering so I am told.
          Adz

Comment

• Kevin Allan
            • Mar 2005

NewBuyer,

Do what I did if you want to decide about Rotel equipment. I started reading the threads last year, and in March became a member. I cast out a question about Rotel reliability, and did I get responses! I didn't like what the general subject of most of the threads (lots 'o problems), and finally requested that my thread be stopped as it got very negative responses.
            On the flip side though, I can't say not to buy, just read and have your eyes open. I like the Rotel amplifiers, but not the pre/pro's or receivers. The amps have, as you say a history with buzz, hum, etc.
            I own a older Rotel amp and my main HT is Harmon kardon. The HK works great.

Ivestigate and buy what you feel is best.

Kevin

Comment

• Kevin Allan
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Adz
              Hmmmm......What else does your dealer carry?
              If you can get a cash refund instead and are looking for a receiver, then you should look at the new Arcam AVR300. A whole different league than what you are considering so I am told.
              I am interested in what you mean when you say Arcam is in a whole different league??? Not familiar with this brand. Is it a good unit? How about a bit of info on the AVR300?

Thanks

Kevin

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"