X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alkalay
    • Jun 2004

The Separates Path

Hi all,

I’ve been walking through the separates path for quite some time (longer in my mind than in real world) and I'm on my way to complete my first a/v separates system.
    If like me you’re building your separates system or have already done so, and you’re coming from a receiver or an integrated amp based system please share your thoughts and experience as you’ve walked through that path. How did a specific component affect the sound of the system, what affect did one component have compared to other (amp vs. pre/pro), what did you expect it to do before adding it and stuff like that.

My current system:
    Marantz 4200 Receiver
    Yamaha CDC-625 cd player
    Marantz 4100 dvd player
    B&W CM4, LCR60 S3,DM 303 and a ASW 675 sub.

My humble experience:
    When I purchased my A/V receiver, a Marantz 4200, I knew it would not spend any time supplying power to my mains as I had an integrated audiolab 8000a taking care of that. As most of the time, spent with the system, was for listening to music, I thought the receiver would be good enough to amplify the center and surrounds while watching movies.
    Watching movies in that system surely had its shortcomings, as the sound was not tight and everything blended too much, lacking a natural and accurate production of the soundtracks.
    Keeping the vision of having a separates system and thinking the greatest improvement to the sound (at that point) would be achieved by adding a power amp I decided to put my mind (and my soul of course) to it. So, after auditioning the Rotel RB-1070 Stereo amp at home, I made my move and added the RMB-1075 5 channel amp.
    WOW! :B It made such a huge difference. For stereo listening the sound has opened up, bass being deeper, accurate and very well controlled, the whole soundstage has grown.
    As for movies well now I could feel the magic. The whole sound has become much more natural sounding, very tight and controlled. The improvement was significant at both high listening levels and low levels. All those Dolby Digital and DTS action going on at all speakers really came to life. I may be having difficulties in describing it but the whole sound is well integrated while not blending and as different channels and sounds do not mask others but keeping it separated and distinguished at a very pleasing way. Stuff like speech coming from the center as music is being played at background sounds natural and detailed, integrated yet distinguished, same thing goes for action scenes with music combined into it.
    Adding a separate power amp like the 1075 really delivers. It has exceeded my expectations.

Naturally I’d like to get your thoughts and experience about switching from a receiver used as a pre/pro to a dedicated pre/pro unit, but hopefully others taking the path to separates will benefit from your experience and thought as well.

Itai.
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Great Descriptions - Time to go all the way...

Itai,

Your descriptions of the benefits of adding good separate amps to a receiver are very good and mirror the experience of many of us...

Naturally I’d like to get your thoughts and experience about switching from a receiver used as a pre/pro to a dedicated pre/pro unit
    I did much the same thing... Once I heard what the amps could do, I knew I had to have a pre-processor... From the first seconds I heard the RSP-1098 I was blown away... And since then, as I've tweaked with better speaker cables, better digital and analogue cables, and mains filters, I've taken the sound to levels I frankly thought not possible with my speakers...

Just do it...

Geoff

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

I concur with Geoff, I went separates, and I don't think I will ever go back :T .

A dedicated pre-pro, will knock the socks off most AV receivers, and adding an 2 channel amp, will provide additional sonic improvement.

However, watch out the upgraditis bug, it looms near .

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Oh your in deep now!! :P Go for it, once you go seperates, you'll wonder what the hell you were doing before :lol:

Jason
        Jason

Comment

• alkalay
          • Jun 2004

Thanks

Thanks Geoff, Azeke & Jason,

Your replies reassured my will to go and urge dealers for a home audition of the 1068.

Itai.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"