X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • freon
    • Mar 2005

any HK avr630 owners out there?

I have a few issues with mine and wondering if anyone else experiance the same things.
    My Media room construction page
  • alebonau
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

hi,

I've got a 630 I'm using as a processor. Used it as an avr before I got a multi channel amp. Pretty happy with it actually. What are the probs you having with it. Did you try the latest s/w firmware upgrade off the website ?.

I loaded it stright up as soon as I got it. No probs I can think off.
    "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• Lestat
      • Nov 2005

Hard to know when you don't specify which issues. That said, if you don't have the latest firmware for your model, you should check the changelog and see if it doesn't address some of the problems you have.

I should update my 635 as well, the fixes include removing the annoying search for digital inputs sometimes.

L.

Comment

• hhcan
        • Mar 2005

Problems:

1. Sometimes it takes 20 minutes to recognize the digital stream via optical in a DVD movie. Most of the time, you can't hear anything from the digital input for 2-10 minutes (in DVD movie) and you can't really set the 630 to DD EX (once in a while, you can though).

2. The biggest problem, and this problem has been reported on the 7200 model which was older and had more power. The problem is that the volumn suddenly goes all the way to 0 dB. I thought that Harman Kardon fixed it 3 years ago but apparently they didn't. It happened to my wife and kid last month and my kid cried so bad. I promise not to buy the Harman Kardon receiver again and I recommend anyone I know to also avoid it.

Comment

• Lestat
          • Nov 2005

Sounds like you have a defective amp. Why haven't you gotten it replaced, instead of assuming that all HK equiptment is crap?
          I haven't heard of any issues like that. Dropouts happened due to the way the DSP handled the inputs, but they should be fixed on both the 630 and now the 635 with firmware updates. The dropouts, however, only happened between tracks, and usually meant sound would disappear for 1 second or so.

L.

Comment

• hhcan
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Lestat
            Sounds like you have a defective amp. Why haven't you gotten it replaced, instead of assuming that all HK equiptment is crap?
            I haven't heard of any issues like that. Dropouts happened due to the way the DSP handled the inputs, but they should be fixed on both the 630 and now the 635 with firmware updates. The dropouts, however, only happened between tracks, and usually meant sound would disappear for 1 second or so.

L.
            My unit is not defective. I don't have dropout between tracks. It works perfect between tracks. I'm talking about the delay from the time I put in a DVD movie until I get the actual sound when I choose Dolby Digital. If I choose Dolby Pro logic or any other modes which comes from the analog input, it works fine; no delay.

Just for the record, I have the latest firmware updated. How do I know? I downloaded it from the HK website, installed it and even talked to the HK customer service for some somewhat relevance things with my 630; and yes, my 630 does have Dolby Prologic IIx. The one without the latest firmware doesn't.

You must know that the HK 7200 was made before the HK 630. HK know that the 7200 had the problem of volume went to 0 dB because they did admit it. I've read that report. Having said that, why didn't they fix it for good in the later generation of receiver. I know that the 630 is in a different class but it's also a LATER generation. This is no excuse for such a big company.

It is funny that other day when I saw a new generation from HK, the HK 740 that cost over $3400. At that price, people can buy pre/pro that can sound much better and provide the same video upscaling not to mention many other higher end brands such as B&K, Rotel offer receiver at that price range and don't tell me they sound the same (the B&K and Rotel don't upscale, they transcode but so what, they are better regardless).

Comment

• Lestat
              • Nov 2005

So you what you are saying is that even though you have issues no one else does, your unit isn't defective, it's just a shitty surround amp? Uh-huh...
              I don't know of anyone who waits for 20 minutes before they get sound on a DVD, you can be pretty sure someone would have mentioned it in the huge thread on the 630 on avsforum.com.

I don't understand why you don't have the unit replaced, those problems definitely aren't general problems with the 630 or the 635.

L.

Comment

• alebonau
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Oct 2005

sorry hhcan never had that particular problem you mention with the 630. I would not accept the unit as it is and keep whinging about it. I'd take straight back while still under warranty (presumably it is ) and make sure they fix it for you.
                "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• hhcan
                  • Mar 2005

I need to clarify this a bit; the delay that I mentioned does not always happen. It does it in an unpredictable rate. For instance, it took close to 20 minutes to get the digital surround sound from Starwars Episode 1 but it gave me digital sorround sound right away last night when I put in Meet the Focker. In addition, it does not always take 20 minutes to output sound from optical input for Starwars; sometimes, it only took less than a minute. This is why I am confused.

Whenever it happens, I switch to analog input and switch back to optical when it's ready. I bought this almost 2 years from onecall.com and didn't pay attention to the optical until last year. I sent HK a couple email and they think it is normal since I can't replicated all the time.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"