X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audiofreak7
    • Feb 2005

"AUTO PROTECT" flashing..Won't turn on

Hi fellas,
    I have an Onkyo 696 Receiver and it suddenly flashes "Protect" when I first turn it on. Stays on for like 4 seconds then turns off. Any suggestions?
  • Stoney
    • Dec 2004

You've probably already checked this, but first thing would be to check your speakers and the connections and cables to them for shorts.
    Check any fuses or breakers on the amp outputs (the spec sheet says it is auto protected so it may be all internal).
    Did you make any changes to set up or connections before problem surfaced? If so check there.
    I noticed on the spec sheet that the amp has selectable 4/6 Ohm impedance, is it set at 6 while driving 4 (this is a really long shot).
    Other than that it would seem to be something internal and require a service tech.
    Hope this is helpfull. If not, sorry.
    Emotiva UPA-700 Amp
    Emotiva UMC 200 pre/pro
    B&W DM605 S2 Mains
    DM602 S2 Surrounds
    DM601 S2 Rear Surrounds
    CC6 S2 Center.
    ASW 1000 Sub

Comment

• audiofreak7
      • Feb 2005

Stoney,
      Ya...I checked all that and its doing it while unplugged from everything. Service tech said it would be $130 just to look at it (lovely). Thanks though!

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

If your Onkyo TX-DS696 receiver started flashing the "Protect" warning with "everything" plugged in, then the "Protect" circuit probably engaged due to a a short because of a bad connection, or due to external line noise.

If it was a bad connection, the "cure" is usually to find the faulty connection and make it right -- either replacing a bad interconnect or carefully reconnecting the speakers to avoid contact of the wires to any metal surface on the receiver other than the correct speaker terminal connector.

If the "Protect" was triggered by line noise:
        Originally posted by Page 62 of the Onkyo Instruction Manual
        • External noise in the affecting the internal microcomputer.
        Turn the power button off and then on again or remove the
        power cord from the outlet and then plug it in again.
        If the unit powers up after having the power disconnected for a while and then reconnected to power (with "everything" else properly connected), then you probably had a temporary microprocessor overload. If that recurrs, say, when the refrigerator compressor comes on, or someone uses the microwave oven, then you need to filter the power that comes to the receiver.

But note that at NO TIME do they ever recommend plugging in the receiver with nothing else plugged in. That by itself will probably activate the "Protect" circuit to keep the unit from self-destructing.

Did your Onkyo TX-DS696 receiver power on OK when "everything" was plugged in and then started flashing only after you unplugged "everything"? (Except for the power cord, I assume.) :>) At no time should you ever plug in and turn on an HT electronic device (receiver, pre-pro, power amplifier, integrated amplifier, etcetera) with nothing else connected. Likewise, you should ALWAYS unplug any such device before changing any other connection.

Originally posted by Page 19 of the Onkyo TX-DS696 Instruction Manual
        Before you plug in the TX-DS696, confirm that all connections have been made properly.
        You're not supposed to have the unit plugged in via the power cord with nothing else connected. I hope you unplugged it immediately upon receiving the "Protect" warning.

Before you spend $130 for the service guy to look at it, try reconnecting the speakers, making sure the wires do not contact anything except the speaker terminal contact points, and connect one component that produces sound and see what happens. If the "Protect" condition happens again, the Instruction Guide "Trouble Shooting section counsels:

Originally posted by Page 62 of the Onkyo Instruction Manual
        Power shuts off immediately after power on.
        • Amplifier protection circuitry has been activated.
        Remove the power cord from outlet immediately. Contact
        your Onkyo service center.
        Make sure this is an authorized Onkyo Service Center from their list on their website http://www.onkyousa.com/locator.cfm and not some local electronics "chop shop".

Good luck,

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• audiofreak7
          • Feb 2005

Burke,
          O.K. I'll try that for sure. Cuz like I said, absolutely nothing is plugged in at all. Right now its on top of my kitchen table. I'll try it with just 2 speakers and see what happens. Thanks!

Comment

• Uncle Clive
            Former Moderator
            • Jan 2002

In addition to Burke's recommendations may I also say that one or more of your speakers could be faulty. So try the unit with different or other speakers too just to be sure.
            Other reseans :- pre-amp overheating, loose joints due to overheating, hit by surge, moisture!
            CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"