X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CheepThrilz
    • Nov 2004

Upgrade: B&K AVR-202

I purchased an AVR-202 used a couple of years ago, and I've been extremely pleased with the performance to date. However, I recently been bitten with the DVD-A / SACD bug, but I find myself limited in that the 202 doesn't have 5.1 analog inputs, and the RS-232 port isn't activated (I'd contemplated upgrading the source to the Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai w/ RS-232 output, but it won't do any good since the RS-232 port on my AVR-202 isn't "hot"). In addition, it can't even process the higher resolution SACD signal, even in two channel.

SO ... it's time to make a choice; buy a newer receiver (Outlaw Audio??); spring for a factory upgrade for the ole' B&K AVR-202 (if they're still even upgrading this model (???), or postpone my foray into the high-res audio formats altogether.

My question is, has anyone sent an AVR-202 to B&K for an upgrade? If so, what did the upgrade entail, and what was your perception as to whether it was worth the ~ $900 cost.

Any insight this community can share will be greatly appreciated!
  • Robert Canadian
    • Sep 2012

I'm very interested in this question too.
    I have an AVR-202 on it's way to me tomorrow and am wondering about such upgrades.
    Hopefully there's a member here with some experience ??

Comment

• Dmantis
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jun 2004

Ok first off B&K is closet. They are not upgrading anything so thats out. You could however find a used AVR307 or AVR507 which should suit all your listed needs. They both sound like the 202 but more refined and polished.
      I wouldn't buy a AVR202 as it's to out of date. At least the 307 and 507 have 6 channel inputs so you can get a universal player and send all forms of audio into it and retain that sweet B&K sound. Not a bad way to go , clunky but worth the effort.

Whatever you need to know about B&K anything , just ask.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"