X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rags
    • Aug 2003

I finally got them !!!!!!!!!!

Well after wating for what seemes like an eternity my Parasound units and new sub arrived on New Years eve. Luckily no problems during transit from NY. First impressions were very good [you guys probably know all of this already but I'm pretty excited so here goes again] -

1. Both the controller and amp were packaged immaculately - probably the best ive seen. Both used a three box system. The C2 controller came in a black velvet bag which I thought was a nice touch but probably a bit of a waste of money.

2. A number of wires and accesories were included with the C2 controller -
    - Two remotes with batteries - one a fully programmable affair with a large LCD display and other a quick use sidekick. Both look great
    - Microphone with a 30ft cable for set up
    - Three 12v trigger wires [not sure why anyone would need three]
    - Full set of banana plugs
    - Loads of BNC type connectors
    - RS 232 cable [hopefully this is indicative of upgrades to come]
    - Rack mounting plates and screws

3. Instruction manuals for both are simple but comprehensive.

4. The look of these units to my eyes is absolutely stunning with the brushed steel effect. In the pics on the net they look good but you really have to see them in the flesh to fully appreciate them. Both have softglow blue lights which look very nice but could get quite annoying when watching a film - I am sure there must be a way of switching them off as when I demod the units I cant remember seeing them.

5. Both are built like tanks - really solid, heavy and well screwed together. Compared tp my old Tag Mclaren processor these things are in another league in terms of build quality and finish. The A51 amp is an absolute beast - really thats the best way to describe it - enormous and to be honest I had a lot of difficullty fitting it onto my rack. It weights a ton, looks menacing with heat dissipating fins in a steel finish all the way round and grab handles at the back and needed two of us to pick it up and squeeze it in to the rack. Even the courier chap was complaining

6. Best of all no humming or hissing sounds - just dead silence with everthing turned on and the volume set to zero. Practically zero noise - something that my previous set up never got close to.

Complaints - nothing signifiicant but -

1, The connectors on the back of the amp are very close together and inserting bare wire could be a very tricky job. I guess thats why Parasound include a full set of banana plugs with the amp .

2. Power cables for US and European type plugs were included but not the UK.

Sound wise I am very happy - the rear channel performance is just outstanding - everything just comes alive. Definately a notch above my Tag.

I have some questions which I am hoping you chaps can answer -

1. Is there any way to switch off the blue lights ?
    2. Dimming the text only seems to have two setting and to be honest the lower setting is not dim enough. Can you switch off the display ?
    3. My software version is 6.49 with a build date towards the end of July - I read previously that there may be some problems with this version - do I need to do something about it.
    4. Do the units sound better with time - I am very impressed already but just wanted to know whether the usual running in benefits are significant.
    5. I am currently using unbalanced outputs on the C2 - is it worth changing to balanced connectors - what improvements if any does this bring ?
    6. I cant get the P1 and P2 triggers to work with my DVD player so have resorted to using the third on/off only trigger to switch my amp on and off. Adjusted the sensitivity but to no avail - has anyone else encountered any problems ?

Sorry about all the questions lads ops:

Happy new year all.

Rags
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Rags- Congrats! :banana: Good to see another happy Halo guy.

Answers to some of your questions:
    - You should easily be able to find a power cord for the UK in an electronics store that you can use instead of using a plug adapter and the included cable. (you probably know this already) I understand, though, that this would have been nice to have out of the box. I haven't met many UK owners yet, just US and Europe so far.

- Your C2 came with rack mounting? Cool... my A51 and A21 did, but my C1 did not. I have to buy it separately if I want it.

- I agree, the A51 is massive. My eyes popped out when I saw it from the top the first time. The Parasound pics don't quite capture the impressive bulk of this unit with the heat fins.

- You're actually the first person I've come across that would like the blue halo effect lights turned off. Most people like the look, but I can understand your desire for pure darkness in a purist theater. Unfortunately, I don't think there's any way to do it short of opening up the case and taking out the light bulbs. (which I wouldn't recommend...) Are all your other components blacked out as well?

- AWESOME to hear that your setup is completely silent. Since this is the case, I would recommend that you stay with the unbalanced connectors like they are. Some people are reporting a slight hiss when using the balanced connectors and highly efficient speakers like horn-based Klipsch. But one person here in Club Parasound has also reported eliminating a hum with the unbalanced connections by switching to balanced. If you're already silent, I would just stick with it.

- As for software, you're also one of the few people who have actually received the 6.49 software version, which Parasound reports was not intended for public release. (read the thread here in Club Parasound about software versions) If you have no problems with the unit, I would just keep it. But you can call Parasound, and they'll tell you what can or should be done to swap software. There may even be a new version, 6.52, coming out soon.

- SEVERAL people have reported a sonic improvement after a break-in time of several hours with the amplifiers. So yes, the sound may get even better!

- Hmmm... haven't heard of problems with the power triggers. This may be one to call and ask Parasound about directly.

CHRIS
    Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Scarp
      • Mar 2003

One word: PICS!

Some comments (the first impressions):
      1. The velvet bag is a nice touch indeed. Both the C1 and C2 come in this bag. It serves little use, except for keeping dust out. The packaging is very good and it is good to see the use of this type of plastic stuff instead of styrofoam which breaks easily and looses pieces which can go into the equipment.

2. The C1 also came with rack mounting stuff? Cool. Seems they change the goodybag once in a while, bcoz i only got 2 12volt triggers (and one with the A51).
      Ow be prepared for some hours of tinkering with the remote. I took me a while to get the hang of programming it and still it isn't right. One annoying thing is that it seems to reverse the on and off switches constantly.

3. I find the instruction manuals to be very well written. I've seen a lot of other manuals and these are impressive. Especially the one with the amp, is simple and thorough. There is little to write about an amp and they indeed write everything you need to know. The C1/C2 manuals are bigger, but these machines can do a lot more.

4. The lights you cannot turn off. I've heard this complaint before and especially in fully darkened theatres it could be distracting. It depends on the placement off your equipment though. These LEDs (not bulbs Chris) just stay on. Very rarely equipment has the possibility to turn off all lights. The only option is to put something in front of it

5. The A51 is very similar in its box to the HCA2205. Even some 2205 owner said the fins sound the same if you tick against them Its quality build, which is to be expected in this field. Its an amp to last.
      The C2 (or C1) is suprisingly light compared to the amps.

6. Good!

Some comments on your complaints:
      1. You can remove the handles of the A51, which will give a little more room. Its not really that tight, I've seen worse terminals. Nicely done is that they are colored too (same color as the bananaplugs). I suggest not connecting bare-wire but using bananaplugs. Those are the safest type of connection. (well, except in europe, where bananaplugs are not allowed since they fit in our electrical sockets. Strangely enough nobody cares about this regulation ).

2. Thats a bad of the distributor I think. It wouldn't be bad to just report this back to the distributor for the UK, so they can act on it. Strangly enough mine came with an USA connector too, which is totally useless here.

3. As long as you don't experience any real problems keep it at this.

4. Running in will give some benefit. Mostly the amp will benefit after using it a while. But out of the box, they sound incredible already. So, just use it normally and after some time you'll get even a bit improvement.

5. Balanced will give the following improvements:
      * possibility to run longer cables
      * with a crowded rack, where it is difficult to seperate the cables from
      powercables, the balanced cables are preferred since they are shielded
      * firmer connections. The connectors are better and fit tight.
      * Higher gain on the amp. For balanced the gain is somewhat higher.
      Besides that there are not really reasons to go from the one to the other. You can even get problems with ground loops when using balanced. Also the C1 and C2 are not truly balanced, which will not give the full balanced benefit.
      Nonetheless, if you can borrow some balanced cables it can never hurt to try it. Best would be to borrow balanced and unbalanced versions of the same cable and seeing what difference it might be. This is even besides the fact that good cables can improve a lot onto your system. Best is to let your system run in for a while on simple normal cables, get used to the sound, etc. Then try and find out what tweaks you can perform by cables.

6. Weird. P1 and P2 can be programmed with all sorts of events and polarity, etc. So I would suggest checking the settings. You say the on/off trigger works, this is because its at default value (positive polarity, 0 sec delay, infinite duration, poweron even). Set the P1 and P2 to the same values and check if they work or not. If not then something is wrong.

No sorry for questions. Your welcome to pose any question regarding parasound here

Comment

• Rags
        • Aug 2003

Thanks guys - helpful as usual.

I guess I will have to live with the blue lights - not such a bad thing as thye do look great but in a dark room it would have been good to have the option of switching them off. My other components can be pretty much dimmed or blacked out.

I got the P1 trigger to work with my Arcam DVD player - changed the polarity and had another crack this morning and it now works a treat.

Well impressed by the sound - a great purchase and am now looking forward to the DVD player but will only buy it if they include RGB connectivity and PAL progressive scan - highly unlikely I suppose.

Re the cables - I am using adaptor plugs for the moment but tomorrow will order some nice mains leads.

Scarp - dont know how to post pics here - anyhow they look nowhere as good as your rack.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"