X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smalone
    • Aug 2003

Wish list...

Thought I would start a wish list thread:

I would like to see the ability to spead the center channel information to the left and right fronts.

More bass management, like being able to have seperate crossovers for at least the front mains.
  • nicholtl
    • Aug 2003

I want more outputs for more surround speakers! Right now, we basically have 9.3 right? I want, like, 13.5!

Comment

• smalone
      • Aug 2003

I dont see why they could not take the two channels, the one that is set to mimick the sub and the other that is for 20Hz and below for some bass shakers and make those fully adjustable like the other two.

Comment

• goldear
        • Aug 2003

Hi, Guys

I've been lurking for a while and thought I'd jump in.

"More bass management, like being able to have seperate crossovers for at least the front mains."

I was disappointed that Parasound also didn't include x-over points for specific speakers...but, if you want to drive your larger front speakers lower than the standard 80hz (with the rears) you should be able to get around this by using the 2 programmable outputs. While this isn't what they had in mind for these outputs, the flexibility from these should be more than enough to set up your fronts (separate from your surrounds) anyway you like. I hope Parasound does something similar to what Anthem recently did by giving you a choice for both music/movies and setting them differently.

While we're on a wish list, I'd also like to see: A global audio/video sync delay; memory presets not just for input sources (like they have now) but also for individual surround modes that can be "trimmed" and stored/recalled regardless of source; a 7.1 surround mode for DPLII (x, Cirrus Logic or even CS) or other non-5.1 discrete/analog sources. None of these take away from the value of the Halo, but would be a nice touch to have.

By the way...I haven't really played around with the analog-monitor level control. While I see that it allows you to manually adjust its sensitivity, does anyone know if the Halo does this automatically? I would assume it does (like the Lexicons), since it is going through AD/DA conversion, but I can't be sure. Anybody? Thanks

Chris B
        Chris B

Comment

• nicholtl
          • Aug 2003

I second the individual speaker crossover settings!

Comment

• smalone
            • Aug 2003

I would like to be able to have one video source go to all of my inputs and not have to make a jumper cable to route it this way.

For example: Satillite input. I would like it so that no matter what I select on the C2, like CD or Tuner etc... that if I assigned say Video 1 to these other inputs then that is what is displayed, even if it another video connection like DVD, if I assign video one to DVD that that is what I get even if it is the Sat feed.

This way I can have say weather showing up on my video touch panel no matter what source I select on the C2.

Comment

• goldear
              • Aug 2003

Smalone,

Are you speaking of a simulcast setting...the ability to watch any source while listening to another? I could do this with both my MC-1 and AVP..by assigning what ever video input I wanted to any audio input. I don't know if this is exactly what you want to do, but the Halo does have a limited simulcast function, so if you want to listen to a CD or tuner, you can still watch a diferent video source. In order to do this you must either assign all your audio sources to the audio only inputs or change the digital inputs in the menu after first selecting your video source. You can switch between as many "audio only" sources as you want, while still keeping the same video source present on the screen...until you switch that video source.

Chris B
              Chris B

Comment

• netarc
                • Jul 2003

I'd like to see the HALO pre/pros add an input-specific speaker trim option, that is retained for each given input.

For instance, say that for HT (e.g., Video1) one likes to dial in the s/w "hot" by +2db ... but that for music (Audio1) a level s/w setting is preferred. The C1/C2 *should* have a SW trim setting! (I realize the HALOs have an input-specific settings now, but these only offer tone/bass options, not s/w trim).
                Last edited by netarc; 23 May 2005, 20:51 Monday.

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

Hmmm... without giving too much away, let me just say that I've talked with Parasound about some of the ideas you guys have here, and you may see some of these happen in the future!

CHRIS
                  Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Also, what about the new Dolby Pro Logic IIx that was announced at CEDIA? I'd like to see an update to keep the C1/2 up to date with all current formats, but Dolby hasn't added Parasound to the list of manufacturers yet that will be adding IIx to their equipment.

CHRIS
                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• smalone
                      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by goldear
                      Smalone,

Are you speaking of a simulcast setting...the ability to watch any source while listening to another? I could do this with both my MC-1 and AVP..by assigning what ever video input I wanted to any audio input. I don't know if this is exactly what you want to do, but the Halo does have a limited simulcast function, so if you want to listen to a CD or tuner, you can still watch a diferent video source. In order to do this you must either assign all your audio sources to the audio only inputs or change the digital inputs in the menu after first selecting your video source. You can switch between as many "audio only" sources as you want, while still keeping the same video source present on the screen...until you switch that video source.
                      I do use this feature but just wanted expanded to video souces as well. Not everone uses there Pre/Pro as a video switcher as they have other, more hi-end switchers like Extron, to do that fuction, and since I have a Front Projection screen I do all my switching for my Hi-def and DVD through a Extron switcher. I do use my C2 for security camera switching and I also have 480i cable/sat feed to it. It would be nice if I could select DVD on the C2 and still have the video source coming in from the security camera so that I can be watching the DVD on the FP and have the camera or the weather or etc... on my video touch screen.

I guess I can try and use all audio connections on the back of the C2 and see if that would work but I still need to be able to switch between camera and cable/sat video modes.

Comment

• Whistler
                        • Aug 2003

WBT plugs on the amps and a bit more room .

The Mainframe
                        The Mainframe

Comment

• Scarp
                          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Whistler
                          WBT plugs on the amps and a bit more room .
                          I agree!

And the on/off button for the amp should be real metal instead of plastic.

Comment

• Jon SS
                            • Oct 2002

How about video up conversion to SVHS and Component. I don't know if this could be a software update.

Comment

• Chris D
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Dec 2000

Ah, the issue of transcoding. Yes... already mentioned to Parasound reps...

I thought of something else too. (also mentioned to Parasound reps) DVI/HDMI switching... would be very helpful as well.

CHRIS
                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Jon SS
                                • Oct 2002

Hopefully a lot can be done with software upgrades as I am not looking forward to parting with my C2! Also it would be a real pain connecting all the leads again!

Comment

• nicholtl
                                  • Aug 2003

Agreed. However, it sounds like alot of what we want done might require some hardware upgrades too.

Comment

• Chris D
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Dec 2000

Another thing high on my personal Parasound wish list is a Halo universal DVD player. Ideally, it would have DVI/HDMI output with high-def upconversion, BNC component outputs compatable with the C1/C2 BNC connections, 7.1 analog outputs for DVD-A and SACD, (the 2 rear channels could be duplicates of the side surrounds--there's an Integra DVD player that does this) and the latest in audio and video decoding hardware, bass management, etc.

A Halo DVD player would be the perfect completion of the equipment stack, just for aesthetics if for no other reason. I need to buy a new DVD player, but have been holding off getting a Denon DVD-5900, partly due to price, but in good portion because of a (very) slim hope that Parasound will actually produce one. I guess you never know. Development of a Parasound DVD player actually was in the works last year before they ran into some roadblocks, so officially the project has been shelved.

So my top Parasound wish list would be in order:

1. Universal Halo DVD player
                                    2. DVI/HDMI switching
                                    3. Video transcoding (upconverting composite and S-video inputs to component outputs)
                                    4. Software and sound processing format upgrades, including Dolby Pro Logic IIx

Heck, it's Christmas. You never know what Santa may grant from the wish list!

CHRIS
                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Scarp
                                      • Mar 2003

On a Halo dvd player: YES PLEASE!
                                      (but also add an RGB capable scart for european users)
                                      I have an Onkyo (=Integra) multiplayer which indeed has a 7.1 analogue output. However you lose a bit of gain when using the two extra back surrounds!. But its something they could opt to do also.

On the C2:
                                      - iLink input (!) and preferrebly also iLink output on the Halo DVD player.
                                      - New 192 kHz dacs!

Comment

• smalone
                                        • Aug 2003

I would also like to see a Parametric EQ added.

Comment

• Whistler
                                          • Aug 2003

A better case for the C1 and C2 .

The Mainframe
                                          The Mainframe

Comment

• Scarp
                                            • Mar 2003

A better case for the C1 and C2 .
                                            Please elaborate, whats wrong with the cases the C1/C2 are in? Or do you mean the packaging?

Comment

• Whistler
                                              • Aug 2003

Hi,

The packaging is outstanding .

Just compare the case of the amp with the case of the pre/pro and you know what I mean, at least I hope so .

Grtz,

Whistler

The Mainframe
                                              The Mainframe

Comment

• Rags
                                                • Aug 2003

The case of the C2 is considerably better than a lot of procesoors I have seen / tried.

Comment

• smalone
                                                  • Aug 2003

HDMI connection/switching. Might as well skip over DVI. :LOL:

Comment

• Scarp
                                                    • Mar 2003

Hi,

The packaging is outstanding .

Just compare the case of the amp with the case of the pre/pro and you know what I mean, at least I hope so .

Grtz,

Whistler
                                                    Nope, dunno what you mean. The case is fine for a pre/pro. Obviously the amps have a thicker case with lots of cooling fins. The C1/C2 don't need the cooling fins.

Comment

• Whistler
                                                      • Aug 2003

That's what I mean, in a review they complained about the case "top" it wasn't 100% plain there was a slight wave in it according to them. I think with a thicker "top panel" this won't happen.

The Mainframe
                                                      The Mainframe

Comment

• Scarp
                                                        • Mar 2003

That's what I mean, in a review they complained about the case "top" it wasn't 100% plain there was a slight wave in it according to them. I think with a thicker "top panel" this won't happen.
                                                        I never noticed it on my unit and doubt its always the case. Maybe this review had a review unit which wasn't 100%? The top panel is thick enough to be strong and keep the unit light.

Comment

• Omen
                                                          • Jan 2004

I'll add something to the wish list - the ability to set specific volume levels per input or per preset. For instance, if I select Audio 1 (my CD changer) I want the volume automatically set to -10 db, for Video 1 (my DVD) I want the volume to be -20 db, and so on.

I really miss this feature from my B&K Ref 20.

Comment

• Scarp
                                                            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Omen
                                                            I'll add something to the wish list - the ability to set specific volume levels per input or per preset. For instance, if I select Audio 1 (my CD changer) I want the volume automatically set to -10 db, for Video 1 (my DVD) I want the volume to be -20 db, and so on.

I really miss this feature from my B&K Ref 20.
                                                            For analog inputs you can specify a gain. This will adapt the volume a certain amount of dB from its current setting. This does not work for digital sources I think, however they should sound the same level.

Having fixed sound levels is not very useful I think. When I have manually set the volume to -40 dB and then switch to some other source and then back I want it to be -40 dB and not the default as set in setup.

Comment

• Omen
                                                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Scarp
                                                              Having fixed sound levels is not very useful I think. When I have manually set the volume to -40 dB and then switch to some other source and then back I want it to be -40 dB and not the default as set in setup.
                                                              In my living room/home theater environment, some of my sources are way too loud and some are too soft. For instance, with identical settings on the volume control, my TiVo's sound output is much louder than my HDTV cable box. So, with my B&K, I set the TiVo source initial volume to -30 db. For HDTV, it's set to -20 db. CD's are set to -10 db (I run full range mains with no sub).

The B&K's initial volume settings do 2 things for me - it sets the volume at a comfortable listening level depending on the source (changing to the TiVo source after listening to CD would blow our eardrums out unless we remembered to lower the volume), and it allows me to set a baseline volume without having to look at the controller (which is not very visible from our listening position).

However, I do like your idea of the Halo remembering the volume level of all sources all the time.

Comment

Working...
                                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                              Search Result for "|||"