X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JaguarXKR
    • Aug 2012

Which has more bass? 683's vs CM9's?

Which of these speakers have better bass, since i am building my system and i have two 684's right now, but want my next pair to have more bass. So which of these two have better bass, 683 or the CM9's?
    Thanks for any info,
    Mike
  • stuofsci02
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2009

Originally posted by JaguarXKR
    Which of these speakers have better bass, since i am building my system and i have two 684's right now, but want my next pair to have more bass. So which of these two have better bass, 683 or the CM9's?
    Thanks for any info,
    Mike
    You want more bass SPL or better bass?

I would surely go CM9... I had 683 for a long time, and while they have a lot of bass for their size, the CM9 has better bass.

Cheers....
    Main System:
    B&W 801D
    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
    Oppo BDP-105
    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
    B&W CM7
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva UPA-2
    Oppo BDP-83SE
    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

I agree, the 683 will probably have a lot of bass...but it won't be as tight and accurate as the CM9.

The CM9 will seem like it has less bass in a side-by-side comparison...but it's actually about the same, just tighter and more articulate which often gets confused with sound like there's less.
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• leej
        • Feb 2009

not to mention the enhanced cabinet, beauty and better overall sound.
        Lee J

Denon 4311ci; Rotel RB-1080; OPPO BDP-83 Universal Disk/Media Player
        B&W 703 mains; B&W HTM2 Center; B&W CDM SNT-Surr; B&W CDM1nt-back; Pair of Rythmik F15 Subs

Comment

• JaguarXKR
          • Aug 2012

Does it matter the type of material the woofers are made out of? Since the 683's with the metal finish look like they can push more air than the ruber looking ones of the cm9's.

Comment

• dukester
            • Sep 2010

I too owned the 683s and never had any problems with their bass output. FWIW I didn't care for their mids/highs...too closed IMO. However I do agree that the CM9s outperform them in all areas.
            McIntosh C2300/MC302, NAD T785, Oppo 83se & 105, Squeezebox Touch, AppleTV, B&W 803Di/HTM2Di/M1, REL G1, Sony XBR9, PS3

Comment

• stevek
              • Oct 2011

i am currently using the cm9s in a very large open area and ive been quite happy with thier bass output.when i listen to 2 channel music i usually turn off my subs and i can tell you they are pretty accurate and depending on what music it is i can feel it to.as ive slowly upgraded my electronics they have gotten better and better in the low end.

Comment

• stuofsci02
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2009

Does it matter the type of material the woofers are made out of? Since the 683's with the metal finish look like they can push more air than the ruber looking ones of the cm9's.
                The CM9 use a kevlar woven material called rohacell for the bass drivers. This is a superior material to the 683.

If your main focus for a speaker is bass output, I would steer away from B&W all together. You can spend less money and get more bass output (Cerwin Vega).

B&W produces excellent well balanced speakers. The CM9 is better then the 683 in every way. If you can afford the CM9 over the 683 there should be no reason the get the 683.

Stuart
                Main System:
                B&W 801D
                Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                Oppo BDP-105
                Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                B&W CM7
                Emotiva UMC-1
                Emotiva UPA-2
                Oppo BDP-83SE
                Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• madmac
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2010

A good speaker will produce good, tight bass. Proper bass....not boomy!. I agree with the post above in that regard. Most speakers nowadays are housing 6.5 inch drivers or less so in most cases, if you want to get nice, rolling, deep bass, you're going to need a good sub, regardless of the brand of speaker you buy.
                  Dan Madden :T

Comment

• JaguarXKR
                    • Aug 2012

I own a pair of B and W 684 and love them, just want a little more bass. Since i also have a pair of cheap sony ssf7000 and it feels like there is so much more bass there to play with. Since i dont want to add a sub since i can tell the delay between the speakers and the sub and dont like that much.
                    Originally posted by stuofsci02
                    The CM9 use a kevlar woven material called rohacell for the bass drivers. This is a superior material to the 683.

If your main focus for a speaker is bass output, I would steer away from B&W all together. You can spend less money and get more bass output (Cerwin Vega).

B&W produces excellent well balanced speakers. The CM9 is better then the 683 in every way. If you can afford the CM9 over the 683 there should be no reason the get the 683.

Stuart

Comment

• stuofsci02
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Nov 2009

I own a pair of B and W 684 and love them, just want a little more bass. Since i also have a pair of cheap sony ssf7000 and it feels like there is so much more bass there to play with. Since i dont want to add a sub since i can tell the delay between the speakers and the sub and dont like that much.
                      Your sub is just not set up correctly then...
                      Main System:
                      B&W 801D
                      Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                      Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                      Oppo BDP-105
                      Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                      B&W CM7
                      Emotiva UMC-1
                      Emotiva UPA-2
                      Oppo BDP-83SE
                      Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"