X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HDBLU
    • Jul 2008

Parasound A23 Only for Center Channel Help

Hi Parasound Lovers.

I am very close in buying the parasound A23 for my center channel in bi-amp I can not bridge it because my speakers are 4ohms and that would damage the amplifier.

I will just give you a little details of my setup.

Krix Neuphonix I have a Musical Fidleity M6i running now that sound amazing for my fronts.
    Krix Epicentrix center channel.
    My receiver is a Onkyo 803 am going to update that next year.

So would the A23 be a big step up on my Krix Epicentrix center channel then my Onkyo. I would like the vocals to be more full body and cleaner with out any harshness. any help would be great. Thanks
    2ch Setup
    Krix Neupohonix
    Musical Fidelity M6i
    Musical Fidelity M6CDP
    Denon DCD-1510 SACD Player

Cables I Use
    MIT

• Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Huh... are you sure you can't bridge an A23 to run 4ohm speakers? I haven't heard before that this wasn't possible. I assume you've checked the A23 manual.

Yes, I would say that the A23 would be a good step up from powering your speaker from ANY receiver, regardless of brand.

I myself am running my A21 to my front mains, and then my A51 to my other 5 speakers including the center channel. Since the center is such a critical channel, though, I'd love to bridge my A21 to run the center channel, and then get JC1's for the mains. Of course, even more JC1's would be even better...
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• HDBLU
      • Jul 2008

Thanks for the replay Chris.

What I read in the manual that it only works on 8ohms speakers if you hook a 4ohms speaker up it will damage the amp Am not 100% sure if this is right.

I was very close in buying the A21 about a year ago but I bought a MF M6i for a very nice price and been happy ever since. Now am looking in upgraded my HT side. I will buy two A23 one for center in bi-amp or bridge if I can do so and the second for surrounds. and then I will get a sound Processor.

That would be a awesome setup with the JC1 and a A21 for center.

Is there any other option for a amp for the center channel.

Thanks
      2ch Setup
      Krix Neupohonix
      Musical Fidelity M6i
      Musical Fidelity M6CDP

Cables I Use
      MIT

Comment

• HDBLU
        • Jul 2008

Also if you bridge a A23 does that mean your doubling the current from 45A to 90A in Mono Bridge mode?.
        2ch Setup
        Krix Neupohonix
        Musical Fidelity M6i
        Musical Fidelity M6CDP

Cables I Use
        MIT

Comment

• HDBLU
          • Jul 2008

Just bought a A23 for my center channel should get it in a few days am going to bi-amp it. Can I run a loop out into the other channel so I don't have to use a Y cable??
          Last edited by HDBLU; 22 November 2010, 08:11 Monday.
          2ch Setup
          Krix Neupohonix
          Musical Fidelity M6i
          Musical Fidelity M6CDP

Cables I Use
          MIT

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Chris D
            Huh... are you sure you can't bridge an A23 to run 4ohm speakers? I haven't heard before that this wasn't possible.
            Basic fact: When you bridge, you put the two channels in series. This means that the left channel will see half your speaker impedance and the other channel will see the other half.

If you connect a 4 ohm speaker, each channel will see 2 ohms.

Since the A23 requires a minimum of 4 ohms per channel, this effectively means that the minimum allowable speaker impedance is 8 ohms.

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by HDBLU
              Just bought a A23 for my center channel should get it in a few days am going to bi-amp it. Can I run a loop out into the other channel so I don't have to use a Y cable??
              No. You have to use an Y-splitter.

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

Also if you bridge a A23 does that mean your doubling the current from 45A to 90A in Mono Bridge mode?.
                No. In bridged mode the channels are in series. You double the voltage, not the current. Double the voltage means double the power, however it also means that the impedance is doubled and 8 ohms is minimum.

Comment

• HDBLU
                  • Jul 2008

Thanks Peter, I should have it in a few days so I will tell you what I think about it. I was original going for a rotel like the Rb1080 but I think the A23 will be better even has less wattage then the Rotel but people say wattage does not matter.
                  2ch Setup
                  Krix Neupohonix
                  Musical Fidelity M6i
                  Musical Fidelity M6CDP

Cables I Use
                  MIT

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

people say wattage does not matter.
                    It all depends... It's not as easy as that. Consider this: You have a very efficient 97dB/1W/1m efficient speaker (common figure with pro-gear). This speaker will produce 97 decibels with only 1 watt of power. Now you trade in this speaker for a boutique speaker with only 85dB/1W/1m (for example a Magneplanar). Each 3dB requires double the power, so now you need an amp that is able to produce the same sound quality but with 16 (2^4) times more power. You need a full 16 watts to make the same sound as a 1 watt amplifier made with the 97dB speakers.... So, if you had a puny 2x30W amp before, you need to upgrade to 2x480W...

Consequently, a high wattage does not say anything about the sould level unless you also disclose the speaker sensitivity. Generally an efficient speaker is always prefered, because it's easier to make a low power amplifier sound good...

Comment

• HDBLU
                      • Jul 2008

Thanks Peter.

So how would you rate a receiver pulling 140w at 8ohms how would that rate to a 125w A23. Am thinking of buying a second A23 for my Surrounds just wondering is it worth it from my 140w Receiver I know the A23 will have more Current.
                      2ch Setup
                      Krix Neupohonix
                      Musical Fidelity M6i
                      Musical Fidelity M6CDP

Cables I Use
                      MIT

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2004

Thanks Peter.

So how would you rate a receiver pulling 140w at 8ohms how would that rate to a 125w A23. Am thinking of buying a second A23 for my Surrounds just wondering is it worth it from my 140w Receiver I know the A23 will have more Current.
                        How does your receiver cope with a 4 ohm load? Does it double to 280w? Probably not, which is why the A23 may feel more powerful. (Unfortunately Parasound did cut some corners with the A23 and A21. They do not double like it should. The JC1, however, does...)

(Remember that many speakers will dip down from the nominal 8 ohms at certain frequenceis. Some dip more than 100% at lower frequencies, and that 4 ohm power rating comes in play at these frequencies).

Comment

• HDBLU
                          • Jul 2008

Thanks Peter.

I Just Bought a Pioneer SC-LX35 to use as a pre-pro my Onkyo stop working well the Pioneer it a class D Amplifier I did some test with the center channel I used the LX35 to run the center channel and then I put it back on the A23 and the difference is Big so much more natural on the Parasound and the bass response on the A23 is like I added another Sub but on the pioneer it sounded clean but lost that impact sound but for the price of the Pionner I would say it very nice.
                          2ch Setup
                          Krix Neupohonix
                          Musical Fidelity M6i
                          Musical Fidelity M6CDP

Cables I Use
                          MIT

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"