Parasound Lawsuit Filed...Buyers, make sure and know your dealer!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bhuskins
    • Aug 2003

Parasound Lawsuit Filed...Buyers, make sure and know your dealer!

Here something I'm sure most of you would be interested in:

Quoted from Stereophile,

"McIntosh, Parasound vs Bogus Resellers
    By Barry Willis

January 17, 2005 — The new year got off to a litigious start as the audio industry's seemingly endless battle against the gray market continued with a pair of federal lawsuits.

On January 5, Parasound Products, Inc. and McIntosh Laboratory, Inc. filed suit against a host of alleged unauthorized resellers in US District Court for Northern California. The suits pit the plaintiffs against several New Jersey– and New York–based retailers and websites accused of unauthorized trading in the companies' products.

Included in the list of defendants in one filing are ElegantAudioVideo.com, Craftwood Custom Home Theater, and one individual, Mark Herman. The other list includes as principal defendants Uncle's Stereo of New York and New Jersey, and several business all operating out of the same address in Carteret, NJ: Downtown Audio LLC; Home Theater by the Sea, Inc.; HomeTheaterPeople.net; NY Wholesale AudioVideo; Reliable AudioVideo; and four individuals—Vivek Prabhakar, Carlos De Silva, Nathaniel Gurien, and Andrew Kent, also known as "Andrew Katz." They are accused of trademark infringement and "unlawful, unfair, and fraudulent business acts and practices" in violation of "common law rights" as well as of a federal unauthorized trademark use statute called the Lanham Act and several provisions in the California Business and Professional Code. Unauthorized resale of trademarked products is likely to cause "confusion, deception, and mistake among members of the public and the trade," the lawsuits claim.

Defendants displayed pictures of trademarked goods on their websites, and were repeatedly warned in writing by plaintiffs' attorneys to cease and desist, according to the briefs. The defendants allegedly complied briefly after receiving written warnings, only to repost offerings of McIntosh and Parasound products a few weeks later. San Francisco–based Parasound and Binghamton, NY–based McIntosh are seeking an injunction to end the unauthorized reselling and recompense for damage. San Francisco law firm Smith Reed LLP represents the plaintiffs.

Manufacturers spend an enormous amount of time and money building solid dealer networks and training sales people and installers. These efforts are undermined by a few unscrupulous characters in the distribution chain who divert goods to inappropriate channels. The manufacturers then have to waste time and money with detective work and legal action to correct the problem. A few months ago, during a short visit I had with him in his San Francisco office, Parasound president Richard Schram (shown above at CES holding his copy of the suit) showed me some of the results of such detective work: photos posted by a fly-by-night dealer. Some of them were Parasound products on display shelves; others were boxed goods in a warehouse. "We think we know where these pictures were taken," Schram mentioned at the time.

The McIntosh/Parasound case is one of many that have been launched against unauthorized Internet dealers. A year prior to this filing, Klipsch Audio Technologies launched one of its own against five online dealers. That case was settled last April. One of the dealers went out of business within two weeks of the lawsuit's filing; the others dropped Klipsch products from their lineups. McIntosh and Parasound hope for similar results, in addition to discouraging other quick-buck artists."

Here's the link to the original story - http://stereophile.com/news/011705lawsuit/

Like I said...know your dealer!

Brent Huskins
    Media Design
  • SpOoNmAn
    • Sep 2003

sucks for them

Theatre Photo Album (A work in Progress)
    GameTracker -My List-
    Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Comment

• nicholtl
      • Aug 2003

serves them right

Comment

• JamesE
        • Oct 2004

If we buy a used Parasound C1/C2 from someone who purchased the unit from one of the unauthorized dealers, will Parasound still upgrade and service the units?

Comment

• bhuskins
          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by JamesE
          If we buy a used Parasound C1/C2 from someone who purchased the unit from one of the unauthorized dealers, will Parasound still upgrade and service the units?
          The easy answer is no, but they will probably look at it on a case by case basis. If you can't show a receipt from a valid dealer or if your valid dealer can't setup repair/upgrades for you directly, you may be out of luck. Parasound is going to require one or the other.

I would suggest selling the unit on eBay or Videogon/Audiogon and then looking for a B stock unit from an authorized dealer. You may be able to do it and come close to breaking even on the deal. I've been able to offer people this type of help in the past so that they didn't loose much if any money. The big difference is that you'll have the 10 year warranty intact.

It really stinks for the end user to be screwed, but I completely understand Parasound (and many other manufacturers) wanting to protect their dealers that abide by their rules.

thanks,

Brent Huskins
          Media Design

Comment

• mikepinkerton
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by bhuskins
            If you can't show a receipt from a valid dealer or if your valid dealer can't setup repair/upgrades for you directly, you may be out of luck. Parasound is going to require one or the other.
            Well, i would assume that they would repair your unit or upgrade it, just not for free under warranty. Why would they not repair a unit if you gave them the cash to do it?

-Mike

Comment

• Paul H
              • Feb 2004

Can anyone humour me with this question - how do large numbers of expensive, fully traceable packages, be they amplifiers or whatever - leave the hands of a distributing company and end up in the so-called grey market? How does this happen without the distributing company's knowledge?

Paul

Comment

• Adz
                • Jan 2004

Wow, the link to the Klipsch lawsuit article is intriguing as well. I always wondered how some of these unauthorized online dealers were able to obtain and sell high end audio at such insane prices. The Klipsch article starts to explain it. Wonder why they don't go direclty after the authorized dealers as they seem to be the ones perpetuating it.

If you're a retailer harboring visions of including Klipsch Audio Technologies' products among the offerings in a deep-discount website, forget it. Likewise, reconsider if you've been tempted to buy Klipsch products at unbelievable prices from such a site.
                Adz

Comment

• boe
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Paul H
                  Can anyone humour me with this question - how do large numbers of expensive, fully traceable packages, be they amplifiers or whatever - leave the hands of a distributing company and end up in the so-called grey market? How does this happen without the distributing company's knowledge?

Paul
                  I'm guessing anyone can sell their stuff just not below a certain price or on the internet. If everyone did that... Hmm, I can't think of too many downsides for us, more units would be sold, they would gain market share, which means they could produce more units at a lower price... which means we would save a lot of money.

Comment

• bhuskins
                    • Aug 2003

The biggest downside is the support you loose from your dealer. They'll say...Oh, you've got a problem? Call Parasound. Parasound wants their dealers to help solve problems, just like all the other good brands. Dealers that "give away" gear will not be in business long simply because that's not a good business model. Most of these fly by night internet guys come and go.

Brent Huskins
                    Media Design

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"