X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • milpai
    • Sep 2009

Parasound A21 VS ICEpower/Hypex

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone has compared the Parasound A21 against any ICEpower/Hypex based power amps. I am impressed by the reviews that the A21 has received. But the ICEpower/Hypex based amps also have rave reviews.

Thanks,
  • Peter Nielsen
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Different technologies. Different pros/cons. With the ICEPower/Hypex your speaker selection is more critical.

If heat is an issue, the choice is easy: ICEPower!

Comment

• milpai
      • Sep 2009

Thanks Peter.
      My speakers are the Quad 21L. Though they are average sensitivity, I am sure they are much more capable with a high quality high power amp. I wanted to check from people who had compared the A21 to any Class D amp.

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

The Quads should work fine with ICEPower and Hypex.

FWIW: I switched over from Halo to TacT Audio fully digital amps. This was because all I was hearing was the air conditioner. I wanted to hear music.

My TacT audio Boz 216 power supply and 2200 amps (about the same price range as the nine JC1 monoblocks I swiched from) may not sound as good as the JC1s, but they don't heat up the room so now I can hear the music instead of the air conditioning...
        Attached Files

Comment

• milpai
          • Sep 2009

Peter,
          Can you please describe the change in sound Quality when you moved from Parasound to the Class D amps? Is it more analytical? I am looking for an amp in stereo setup rather than home theater, so I don't think heat is an issue. I am looking for feedback from owners who have compared Parasound A21/JC1 to any digital amps.

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

milpai: Less punch at volume levels near the power rating. Mostly has to do with power supply capacitance probably...

Comment

• milpai
              • Sep 2009

I purchased the Parasound A21 over the weekend. Though out of the box I was not all that impressed compared to my NAD integrated, I am sitting amazed here after roughly 20 hours of burn-in. Simply stunning music!!

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Oh, yes... the Parasound burn-in. Definitely give it a shot!

A :banana: for your new gear!
                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                - Pleasantville

Comment

• frasse74
                  • May 2004

Hi

i friend of mine tested his acoustic-reality 1000w amps on a Quad esl speakers "dont know model" and the sound wasent so smooth anymore it sounded hard and almost to analytic in the higher levels and too weak in low levels..
                  So i can think that some speakers dosent fit the class d amps at all but it are only after that test..

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"