X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RJKuzma
    • Jan 2005

New update on Parasound web site

Parasound recently added an update on their web site concerning the upcoming C3 processor with the addition of Dolby PLIIz and Dolby Volume. They also indicated that the expected release for the new models would be Q1-2010.
  • Docray1
    • Jan 2005

I'm a bit disappointed that the C3 wont offer Dolby PLIIz as part of a 9.1 setup, especially since several vendors are already - or are preparing to - offer such setups. I hope the C3 isnt "behind the times" even before its released.

As far as all the testing to "search and destroy all bugs and glitches", perhaps Parasound should take a look at the interest that OPPO generated for the BDP-83 by enlisting on-line volunteers to puirchase pre-production versions of the product and offer feedback by doing so. This serves the dual purpose of generating product interest AND providing the manufacturer valuable test experiences in a variety of end-user settings.

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Docray1
      I'm a bit disappointed that the C3 wont offer Dolby PLIIz as part of a 9.1 setup.
      Hmmm. Yeah, I wonder what's up with that. TacT Audio told me that PLIIz is a simple "mix" that can be achieved with the mixer functions in the TCS MK III. Should be easy enough to add a mix function in the C3 too...

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

I must be missing something--the C3 does have DPLIIz. Is there a IIz capability that is not included?
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• RJKuzma
          • Jan 2005

I think it means that the C3 will provide the choice of using either regular 7.1 without DPLIIz, or 5.1 plus DPLIIz by converting the rear channel outputs to height channel outputs instead. It will be your choice to have height channels or rear channels, but not both at once. In other words, no 9.1. It may be that the design has already been locked in and that adding two more outputs to provide full 9.1 capability is not possible. But, I'm just speculating.

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Ahhh... interesting. The C3 certainly was designed from the beginning as 7.1. But if it adds DPLIIz, can it really be so hard to add a single pair of unbalanced RCA outs? Maybe it's an issue of back panel real estate again ?
            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Docray1
              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
              Ahhh... interesting. The C3 certainly was designed from the beginning as 7.1. But if it adds DPLIIz, can it really be so hard to add a single pair of unbalanced RCA outs? Maybe it's an issue of back panel real estate again ?
              In any case, the lack of a true 9.1 capability is a bit of a disappointment. I would have hoped that after all this time that the C3 would be ahead of its time and not behind.

Comment

• JBM
                • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Docray1
                In any case, the lack of a true 9.1 capability is a bit of a disappointment. I would have hoped that after all this time that the C3 would be ahead of its time and not behind.
                Took the words right out of my mouth...

I've been looking forward to the new gear for about a year (and have held off upgrading anything else until I decided on a new pre-amp/controller) and with this news I'm starting to loose heart.

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

I guess I didn't notice this detail the first time around. This is from Parasound's website announcement, the update on the new upcoming HDMI receiver/processors:

Dolby PLIIz
                  PLIIz offers front "height" channels for an even more enveloping sense of "being there." Front height channels with a 5.1 channel system offer a wonderful alternative to a conventional 7.1 setup where running speaker wires around doorways or hallways is sometimes very challenging. The new Parasound 7. channel processors and receiver will offer PLIIz height as an option to the back speakers in a 7.1 system. We are not including so-called 9.1 which is 7.1 + PLIIz height channels.
                  So it looks like yes, they are sticking with the 7.1, and in addition to the core 5.1 setup, you can use the additional two channels for either rear surrounds in a 7.1 setup, ***OR*** front effect channels in a 5.1 + effects setup. (front effect channels are not discrete, so you can't really call them 9.1 or whatever)

Given that choice, it's a no-brainer for me. I'll absolutely take the 7.1 with rear surrounds. From experience, that's MUCH more effective as a soundfield setup than 5.1 + front effects. The only time I'd choose the latter would be if somebody had a very short room, like 12' long or less, and very tall, like 13' or more in height.

That makes me wonder about a Dolby setup question. If you do stay with a 7.1 setup WITHOUT front effect channels, will DPLIIz engage? If so, will it sound any different than DPLIIx? Maybe IIz has better processing for a 7.1 soundfield, because it's newer than IIx. Or maybe it will sense that you don't have front effect channels set up, and just engage IIx instead. Most of you know that I'm a big DPLIIx fan, so regardless, I'll be experimenting to see what happens with IIz.
                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Q-Man
                    • Mar 2004

That's really bad, less channels then the C1 or C2.

I already use the extra 2 channels on my C1 for 2 front effect speakers, and I'm not going to take a step backwards now.

I'm off to look for another processor. Maybe the new Denon with it's 10 channels.

Comment

• RJKuzma
                      • Jan 2005

Q-man: The C1 and C2 both have 7.1 channels with rear surround decoding. They don't have "extra" channels, they have dedicated rear surround channels when using the internal decoding. The C3 will have 7.1 with a choice of rear or front height decoding. Unless you're using the 7.1 analog inputs on your C1 with an external decoder, I don't see how you are losing anything.
                      I agree that without 9.1, Parasound may be at a competitive disadvantage. Personally however, I won't miss the extra channels because of the additional requirement of providing two more channels of amplification and loudspeakers. If the front height channels prove to provide a greater benefit than the minimal benefit of the rear surround channels, I will simply relocate the rear speakers to the front ceiling. Much more important to me is newer, higher performance DACs, room correction and the now discarded iPod digital input.

Comment

• Q-Man
                        • Mar 2004

I havn't read the manual in years, but the C1 and C2 have 4 programmable channels and the outputs for the extra channels are next to the on and off switch on the back of the pre amp.
                        Pro 1 and Pro 2 ( Aux Channels #9 and # 10) in the set up menu these extra channels can be used for extra rear, side, or front speaker channels. I set them up for 2 front effect speakers placed up above and to the right and left of my mains. I set them up to have a frequency range of 60 HZ to 10,000 Hz. I mix a little of the left, right, and center channel in each of them.
                        See your manual for a more detailed explanation on how you can configure these extra channels.

Last edited by Q-Man; 21 November 2009, 11:31 Saturday.

Comment

• RJKuzma
                          • Jan 2005

You're right, and I forgot about using the programmable channels as mix channels. I previously used mine as subwoofer channels for the side and rear surround channels, since the subwoofer frequencies contain little directional information. However, providing a front mix is not precisely the same as the decoding in DPLIIz. But if you enjoy the sound it produces, more power to you. That's what this hobby is all about.
                          With the number and size of the speakers you are using, your system looks pretty impressive.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"