• Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Status update from Parasound on new processors/receivers

Quoted from Parasound website here:

Update: New Parasound 7.1 Surround Processors & Receiver
    I appreciate the outpouring of interest and enthusiasm for these new models and I especially appreciate your patience while we work on getting them just right.

Our team has made a lot of progress on the new 7.1 channel platform. Our goal is to make the Halo C 3 Surround Processor, NewClassic HDP70 Surround Processor and HDR77 Surround Receiver available by late summer (but I'm not saying in which hemisphere...just kidding!).

Designing a new 7.1 platform is a daunting challenge. Making one that works correctly and is bug-free is a far greater challenge, particularly when HDMI 1.3* is involved. I insist that we test, revise and re-test new models as many times as it takes to make them as bug-free as possible from both an engineering perspective and, more importantly, from a customer's perspective. Our products aren't inexpensive and I believe your experience with them should be satisfying, not frustrating.

The NewClassic Model 7100 is a great example of this commitment. We improved it again and again over a period of many months before it was released to the public. The results? The Model 7100 is probably the only surround processor ever sold without any bugs whatsover and thus without the need for any upgrades. In fact, the very last Model 7100 built was 100% identical to the very first Model 7100 to come off the production line! We didn't need to inconvenience our customers and dealers with a single hardware change, firmware or software update. I'm applying this same stringent standard of excellence to our new 7.1 models.

Reminder: Owners of a Halo C 1 or C 2 or a NewClassic Model 7100 processor can enjoy Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master today simply by selecting a Blu-ray player which is equipped with 7.1 channel analog output jacks.

* Some brands claim to have "HDMI 1.3b" implying that it's the newest type of HDMI. They're bending the truth. HDMI "1.3a" and "1.3b" refer only to testing procedures and have nothing to do with performance. Quoting directly from hdmi.org:

Q. What is the difference between HDMI 1.3 and HDMI 1.3a, or 1.3b?
    For consumers, there is no difference between HDMI version 1.3 and 1.3a or 1.3b. These minor revisions to the specification typically relate to manufacturing or testing issues and do not impact features or functionality. In addition, HDMI Licensing, LLC is actively working with manufacturers to reduce confusion for consumers by de-emphasizing version numbers and focusing instead on product features and functionality.

The following information sheets on the new 7.1 processor and receiver are preliminary and certain performance details are still evolving. I'll post more up-to-date features and specs in May here at parasound.com. I think your patience will be amply rewarded!

Richard Schram
    President
    Parasound Products, Inc.

CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

If you haven't seen them before, that webpage links to pdf product cutsheet files for each of those receivers/processors. Included here for ease of use.

Click here for Halo C3 processor

Click here for NewClassic HDP70 processor

Click here for NewClassic HDR77 receiver
    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Vince Helm
      • Mar 2006

I always appreciate Richards dedication to his product line. I hope the C3 is a home run for parasound.

Vince

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Any word from Richard regarding 9.1 ?

I think any new processor in Halo league needs to be at least 9.1. TacT's new processor is 11.1 ...

Peter

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Ahhhhhhh.... Audyssey XT and THX Ultra2 confirmed! Very nice. (don't ever say Parasound doesn't listen to us!)

Am very curious about that "assignable output", how much (if at all) it's going to be like the previous C1/C2 "programmable outputs".

Now let's see about that 9.1+ thing...
          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

I've heard that the new Classic series processor (HDP70) there is based off the UMC-1 from Emotiva. They look extremely similar and what not too. Of course the guys over there could not confirm or deny it. Apparently there used to be another device that Parasound was selling that was based off an Emotiva device. As I said though not sure if it's true or not but if you look at the pictures they look remarkably similar.

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Figured I'd add the pics

Either way I'm sure they are both going to be excellent products!

Comment

• TommyV
                • Feb 2007

They look pretty different to me. Quite a few inputs/outputs in different places. Even the feature set differs.

Comment

• Charlieu
                  • Oct 2008

Emotiva has made some changes from their original backplate design. The original closely matched what Parasound is showing. It could be that Parasound will make changes too. Emotiva chose not to license the Audyssey and THX to keep the pricing in line with what their customers expect. This is a good deal for both companies as they gain the economy of scale and share development costs. It's great for us consumers because we can decide what features are important to us and still end up with excellent audio no matter what decision we make. The key point is that this doesn't mean there will be a step-down in Parasound quality just because they paired with a company known for their low cost products.

Comment

• jprafter
                    • Jan 2005

So much for posting back in May???? :-(
                    Parasound C2, A51, A21, T3, A23(x3)
                    Onkyo TX-SR805
                    Paradigm Signature S8, C5, S4, S2(x2), ADP
                    Velodyne HGS-15X, SMS-1
                    Sony PS3
                    DirecTV HR20
                    SONOS
                    Harmony 1000

Comment

• Le Caribou
                      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Richard Schram President Parasound Products

Update: New Parasound 7.1 Surround Processors & Receiver

I'll post more up-to-date features and specs in May here at parasound.com. I think your patience will be amply rewarded!
                      no more news in May?

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Not yet... wouldn't be the first time we've been drawn out juuuuust a bit farther.
                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

Hey, I just noticed something. If you look at the original undercover "teaser" pics of the new processor/receivers, you'll see that there's a little port for "Portable Link" just to the left of the USB port and below the 12v triggers.

This was going to be a VERY robust iPod connection, with a level of control no other processor had. But I just noticed that in the public release photos above and on Parasound's website, the Portable Link port has been removed, and that little plate is blank now. I guess that's been dropped from the new model?

Not something that I was going to use myself, (I currently use Universal Remote Control's high-end MX-6000 and PSX combo for playing, controlling, and streaming metadata from an iPod) but interesting to note.
                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Hirogen
                            • Apr 2004

I think I'm not going to upgrade my C2 to a C3. The C3 has a built-in AM/FM tuner which I don't need since I already have the stand-alone T3 tuner which I'm quite happy with. Also, and this is a bigger issue for me, the C3 lacks a built-in (MM/MC) phono stage. Too bad, I just don't want to mess around with a seperate phono box which needs yet another power chord.

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Hirogen
                              The C3 has a built-in AM/FM tuner.
                              Good observation! Why on earth did they do that in today's digital age with Internet radio! It really does not add value. It only adds questions...

EDIT: This must be an error in the specification. The C3 rear panel does not include an antenna input for an AM/FM tuner!

Originally posted by Hirogen
                              Also, and this is a bigger issue for me, the C3 lacks a built-in (MM/MC) phono stage.
                              The C2 does not have a phono stage either. IMHO this is normal. Built-in phono stages are a rarety today, and if you find one it belongs in a high-end 2-channel product.

Peter

Comment

• Chris D
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Dec 2000

Huh... yeah, I didn't notice that either, about the tuner. I've virtually positive that the C3 in fact does NOT have a tuner. That's what I'm remembering from CEDIA, and I'd be very surprised if they added a tuner to a product like the C3.

But I'm surprised to see not only the tuner listed for the HDP70 (upcoming New Classic processor) but that it does in fact have the tuner antenna connections on the back as well. Tuners are not usually found on processors, just receivers, being more "all-in-one" products.

For me, either way though, I could care less for my personal use. I'm going to be using my T3, and getting the C3 (or whatever HDMI processor in the end) for the HDMI audio processing, not caring about a tuner.
                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2006

There was another Parasound product that was licensed to them from Emotiva. I can't remember what it was though. So it's not a far stretch Just thought I'd share the pics. They are same chassis size and very similar in quite a few respects. The UMC-1 is capable of everything the Parasound has but they have different requirements then what Parasound had. Like I said I'm not sure they are manufactured by the same place but it wouldn't be all that hard to believe.

Comment

• brodricj
                                    • Aug 2008

Richard is now saying to expect an announcement next month.

Comment

• Le Caribou
                                      • Jun 2009

August?

I'm happy to hear it!!
                                      there is a few days, he's told me:
                                      "We are still hoping for late September and there is a surprise coming in it."

Comment

• Chris D
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Dec 2000

Sweeeeeet.... I figured we'd be hearing something right around the time of CEDIA, and it's getting to be that time of year!

Which reminds me, I already have my registration, but I need to go find a good Atlanta hotel still...
                                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• brodricj
                                          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Le Caribou
                                          August?
                                          ..and there is a surprise coming in it."
                                          Let's hope the surprise is the announcement of a generous trade-up program (much like what PS Audio are currently offering on their new transport and dac). Such a nice surprise would go along way towards curing my remaining ill-sentiment about the Parasound sales pitch "future upgrade path" when C1/C2 was released, only to find the product now discontinued without an upgrade path ever coming to fruition (I don't count Zhd as an upgrade path here).

Comment

• jprafter
                                            • Jan 2005

Finally something tangible....

Onkyo TX-SR805
                                            Velodyne HGS-15X, SMS-1
                                            Sony PS3
                                            DirecTV HR20
                                            SONOS
                                            Harmony 1000

Comment

• jprafter
                                              • Jan 2005

However...

August 25, 2009
                                              Parasound the Latest No SHow for the CEDIA Expo in Atlanta
                                              Parasound adds itself to the list of companies not exhibiting at CEDIA in Atlanta this year. Citing the economy and product availability, they indicated they would exhibit at the CES in Las Vegas Jan of 2010.

Parasound stated they wanted to be able to give a firm answer to the dealers' overriding question "When are you going to ship the new HDP-70 and C 3 processors and the new HDR-77 receiver?" Since they are not in a position to answer that, they felt it would be best to postpone an appearance, as the rest of the line is fundamentally unchanged.

Some news on the new products though, there will be Dolby Volume and Dolby PLIIz. In addition, the receiver is taller, 4 rack spaces, rather than the original 3. Why? Because they ahve changed form a digital poower amp section to a real, high current class A/B amp section. They also anticipate having a Halo Blu-Ray player to show at CES.
                                              Onkyo TX-SR805
                                              Velodyne HGS-15X, SMS-1
                                              Sony PS3
                                              DirecTV HR20
                                              SONOS
                                              Harmony 1000

Comment

• Chris D
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Dec 2000

Well... "Yay", and "Boooo"...

Nice video, and good find. Thanks for sharing!

As for CEDIA, jprafter, what source does that info come form? Looks like a press release. Still nothing new on the Parasound website or their official PR agency. Looking at the CEDIA site, they're still listed as an exhibitor as of today.

I leave for CEDIA this Sunday, and am getting excited as always. Would be very disappointing if none of the Parasound guys are there, or if there's no new news. Hope CEDIA this year isn't a bust. As for the specs you mentioned, that would be interesting if the HDR77 really is 4u tall. I'm wondering what the C3 looks like now. And a BD-1? That would be pretty sweet. But we'd have to have these products become real for it for be actually cool.
                                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"