X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lofi-ear
    • Jan 2009

A couple of questions

Hi'yall

Does the A21 benefit from using an active pre-amp? I currently use a passive one (Creek) and it sounds very good but could it be even better with an active one?

About A51 vs A21 in stereo listening, is there any reason to get the A51 over A21 if you listen to only 2ch music? In other words, does the A51 use all its power reservoir for two channels if only two loudspeakers are connected, or is the power evenly distributed to all five channels even if some of them are not in use?

Thanks in advance 8)
  • Kal Rubinson
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2006

I will not comment on question one as I am biased (in favor, generally, of active preamps).

As for the amp, there are two possibilities. One that the A51 has separate power supplies for each channel and, in that case, there will be little or no difference in power availability regardless of the number in use. The other case, more common, is one PS shared by all the channels and, in that case, using fewer makes more of the PS reserves available to the ones in use. This will result in a slightly greater power output but still limited by the design and construction of the output stage.

In other words, there will be a real but limited increase in output capability.

Kal
    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Lofi, if you're only using 2-channels, you're really going to want the A21 over the A51. The A21 has a little bit more robust innards--check out the Parasound picture thread.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by lofi-ear
        About A51 vs A21 in stereo listening, is there any reason to get the A51 over A21 if you listen to only 2ch music? In other words, does the A51 use all its power reservoir for two channels if only two loudspeakers are connected, or is the power evenly distributed to all five channels even if some of them are not in use?
        The A51 uses 5 modules with individual capacitor banks (32,000uF/channel). They are NOT interconnected in any way that matters (there's quite a bit of not-so-thick wire between the 5 modules).

The A21 has 50,000uF/channel. It's all on one heavy duty circuit board. Much more solid construction than the A51 if you ask me!

Consequently the A21 is more powerful and BETTER for stereo use than the A51.

If you have an A21+A51 setup, you should use the A21 for the L+R fronts.

(Side note: I have tested both the A21 and A51 to the limit with my Maggies. The A21 played to the clip limit without bad side effects . When the A51 clipped it distorted and ran out of juice so bad that it blew the fuses in the speaker. Ouch!)

Comment

• Mike_Schmidt
          • Mar 2009

Mr. Nielsen you know what I like about your answers. Its your informative response to each question being asked. Factual, not snake oil.

So thank you sir.
          Schmidt

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"