X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jon SS
    • Oct 2002

Can the C2 process 96 khz signals via digital coax

I could not tell from my manual but think it can. The reason I am asking is that I am planning on getting the Oppo blu-ray player in the future and it can adjust (down-res) the bitrate of the signal from the digital coax to either 48, 96, 192 kHz. That way I can either use the player to downrez a hi-res 5.1 signal (if 7.1 is not available on the BR disc) and use the C2's pro logic IIx to get 7.1.

Thanks
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Huh... the Oppo can down-res the new high bitrate audio streams, so it can be sent over digital coax? haven't heard that one before.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Jon SS
      • Oct 2002

From the online manual:

LPCM Rate Limit: To set the maximum Linear PCM output frequency for the coaxial/optical
      digital output. This menu item is intended to ensure that the audio output is compatible with
      equipment that cannot support high sample rates. It sets an upper limit to decide whether the
      player shall down-sample audio. The player does not up-sample audio to higher sample rates.
      The options are:
      • 48K – Supported by most equipment.
      • 96K – Allows a higher sampling rate and frequency response. It can result in better audio
      quality. Ensure that the receiver/amplifier can support it.
      • 192K – Allows the highest sampling rate and frequency response. It can result in the best
      audio quality. Ensure that the receiver/amplifier can support it.

I also got an email from Oppo, the bluray player has pro logic processing but not pro logic IIx.

Comment

• littlesaint
        • Jul 2007

I'm pretty sure digital coax/optical interfaces only support 2Ch PCM. This is part of the SPDIF spec. MCh stuff has to be encoded as either a DD or DTS bitstream.
        Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Huh. What I'm getting out of that manual quote is that the Oppo can cap the sample rate that it sends via LPCM over the legacy coax/optical digital output. So, for example, if your receiver could not receive 192Kbps sampling over coax/optical, you could make the Oppo limit it to 96K or 48K. Cool feature, but that doesn't seem to be oriented towards audio streams already contained in coax/digital, not go as far as actually down-res the new lossless HBR audio streams (which need HDMI for transmission) into rates that could be carried in coax/optical.
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

Yes. The C2 supports DTS96/24 (5.1).

Comment

• littlesaint
              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Peter Nielsen
              Yes. The C2 supports DTS96/24 (5.1).
              Thats compressed as DTS though. I think the OP is referring to uncompressed PCM which again I'm pretty sure is 2Ch only over coax/optical. You have to use HDMI for MCh PCM.
              Santino

Comment

• Jon SS
                • Oct 2002

Thanks for all you answers. I probably did not explain myself too well (got a bit confused with all the techy), but if the C2 can handle DTS or Dolby DIgital 96/24 then I am happy as I will get better sound DTS from a blu-ray via coax vs a dvd (are all dvds 48 khz?).

Thanks again.

Comment

• littlesaint
                  • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Jon SS
                  Thanks for all you answers. I probably did not explain myself too well (got a bit confused with all the techy), but if the C2 can handle DTS or Dolby DIgital 96/24 then I am happy as I will get better sound DTS from a blu-ray via coax vs a dvd (are all dvds 48 khz?).

Thanks again.
                  Pretty much all film (with a few exceptions) is 48KHz. Most 96KHz material is video recordings such as concerts.
                  Santino

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"