X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike_Schmidt
    • Mar 2009

To Much Power

So I dumped my Pre Cyrus and Power amps for Parasounds JC2 and A21 power running into a set of Proac D28's. My room is small for the time being 10.5x12 I have french doors I open behind me which really helps and I do not hear much for reflection or boom for that matter. I have 10' ceilings so that might help as well.

My question is can you have to much power, Iam not a volume junkie by any means but I do like so umph behind my music from time to time.

First time caller, long time listener!
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi Mike, welcome to The Guide. :welcome:

No. Having a lot of power won't damage your speakers unless you just completely overdrive them into failure (take a little care with the volume control). Having less than enough power can cause much more in the way of problems.

Say, you didn't happen to play a pretty mean third-base at one time, did you?

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Mike_Schmidt
      • Mar 2009

No I could only wish, if I was my budget would be alot bigger Im just a correctional officer up in Canada doing my part. I just though since I havent received my shipment yet that it might be to much power for that room, but my Proac's are a lovely speaker and havent done me wrong. Im not worried about clipping my speakers just overpowering the room to be more specific.
      Thanks for the welcome

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Ah, well the only real possibility of having "too much power", (other than using it incorrectly like David said) is that you may have power that is going unused. As far as negative consequences goes, that's certainly a lot lower on the scale than other bad things you can do with your stuff.

You always want to have at least a little bit of "extra power" though. If you're using your gear at full capacity, you run into clipping.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Mike_Schmidt
          • Mar 2009

One more question since my CD player only has RCA's is it worth while putting a balanced interconnect between my pre and power amp if Im using Cardas Golden Reference RCA'S

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Oh, and Mike, I forgot to welcome you to the Guide and Club Parasound! :banana:
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"