X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Music4Life
    • May 2006

ATC SCM7 and A21??

Is it a good match? Do I need to look for something else, like MF A1008 pwr or another brand?
  • Music4Life
    • May 2006

I pulled the trigger today and bought a brand new Halo A21 (US$1,900) from a local hifi shop after few weeks of research. I don't have a chance to audition any power amps, I decided to choose the A21 based on some good reads. I hope this really match up well with my SCM7.

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Congrats on the new shtuff! :banana: Don't have any idea what a ATC SCM7 is, much less how it performs, but I'm thinking you'll like the A21.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Music4Life
        • May 2006

Thanks, Chris.

I actually surf some of our local hifi shop, but didn't manage to listen to them because they don't have stock that time. I checked the local price for NAD, MF, Rotel, Roksan, Bryston, Krell, SimAudio, Plinius, Boulder and some other brands but no demo display for the model that I want. There's only one amp (Integrated) that I managed to listen for almost an hour, the ATC SIA2-150 driving ATC SCM20 but it's way too much for my budget. I am looking at the range of $1,800 - $2,000, the A21 is the only choice. Initially, I am tossed between A23 and A21 but I decided to get the latter.

Updates will be coming in the next few weeks.

Comment

• Music4Life
          • May 2006

Out of the box, what can I say? This is a fantastic power amplifier! All the articles and reviews from its users that I read are true! Build quality and design seems that it is 5X its price (Assembled in Taiwan makes the difference). Sound quality on SCM7? My speaker really sings with this power amp. The 7's are not known for it's bass I think, but with A21 it put out an above average bass for a bookshelf. A21 provides a tight and controlled bass on the 7's. Mid to high range is amazing on the SCM7. It is capable of producing a clean, detailed mids and highs. I've been using this amp for 50 hours or more and I read that the minimum is at least 100 hours. My ATC is still in break in stage, our local dealer said that the minimum break in period of mostly ATC speaker will take 300 hours of use. Most users (ATC and Parasound) mentioned that the sound will get better after the break in period. I am excited let's see...
          Last edited by Music4Life; 28 August 2008, 08:42 Thursday.

Comment

• Music4Life
            • May 2006

The Halo A21 is slightly old model already (2002?) and ALOT of excellent reviews and experiences were written about this gutsy power amp. All the hi-fi lingos were used to describe this amp; authority, controlled, tight, huge soundstage, focus, clean, detailed, are some of ones used. I can say that they are all true. My SCM7 sounded like it is a floorstander. I heard the ATC combo of SCM20 and SIA150 which is 5X more of what I have BUT the difference is not that significant. I won't miss that sound that I heard in the ATC showroom. I used to own NAD 340, Primo Settanta, NAD372 with B&W CM1, sold my all my older amp and the C372 and bought a used Aragon BB8008 II. But then, I sold everything again and went to the "dark side (Tube)" for a while but it's not the kind of sound I am looking for. I experimented with some China made hi-fi (Shanling, Cayin, AudioSpace etc), with no luck.

Now, I am fully satisfied with the combo of SCM7 and Halo A21 as my 2 channel entertainment. Finally, a combination that will stay for a long time!

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"