X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • swayback
    • Feb 2010

XLR vs. RCA

I have B&W 804's. Any one have an opinion on XLR versus RCA cables in preamp to amp?

thanks.
  • Kal Rubinson
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2006

It would provide more relevant information if you told us what preamp and amp you are connecting.
    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• swayback
      • Feb 2010

804Di
      Integra DHC 80.1 PreAmp
      Integra DTA 70.1 Amplifier

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2006

It should not matter at all unless the amp and preamp are separated by long distances (measured in 10s of meters) or you have a very EM noisy environment. Otherwise, the only distinction is the more positive latching of the XLRs.

The 804Di is irrelevant to this issue.
        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

If they are truly balanced designs you do get a bit more gain and a lower noise floor. Weather it's audible to you or not who knows. But really even if you could tell it probably wouldn't be a very big difference.

Comment

• swayback
            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
            It should not matter at all unless the amp and preamp are separated by long distances (measured in 10s of meters) or you have a very EM noisy environment. Otherwise, the only distinction is the more positive latching of the XLRs.

The 804Di is irrelevant to this issue.

Thank you for your input.
            The reason I put the name of the speakers is because this actually started in the B&W forum, until it was moved to Home Theater.

Comment

• Space
              • Aug 2009

Try it both ways--balanced vs. unbalanced--and report back if there's a clear difference. It could be that balanced is better at rejecting noise, but that's not going to matter if there's no noticeable noise to begin with from unbalanced cables.

Comment

• wettou
                Ultra Senior Member
                • May 2006

XLR wins hands down especially to avoid EMI/RFI
                Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Nolan B
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2005

Originally posted by wettou
                  XLR wins hands down especially to avoid EMI/RFI
                  BS IMO.

XLR does nothing over RCA. You would have to do extremely long distances between your amp and SSP before you could scientifically measure a difference. I would go as far as saying that you could go 500 feet between the the SSP and amp before you would even have the possibility of measuring a difference.

My SSP and amp is balanced and I use XLR. Why? Looks...nothing else.

If you are looking to improve audio quality look at room treatments before anything else.

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

Well if you have a lot of RF/EMI noise in your area the XLR will make a difference regardless. And I'm not so sure about 500 feet. RCA connections are low voltage and after so far of a distance they start to suffer from loss.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                      • Sep 2001

The XLR connection is essential when your kids are playing skip-rope with especially long interconnects so the cables will not spontaneously disconnect, as the RCAs are prone to do, which would create a tripping hazard during thier game, to say nothing of the danger of a flying cable end. :>) More seriously, as for the sound, other than needing to reset the volume, I have not heard a significant audible difference between XLR and RCA connections using comparable quality cables on my 15 foot run between Bryston SP-2 pre/pro and Bryston 7B SST power amps. But the XLR connections do "stay put" and "look professional".

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• whoaru99
                        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Dougie085
                        RCA connections are low voltage and after so far of a distance they start to suffer from loss.

Not very much or, perhaps, depends on the nature of the loss you're talking about.

For example...

In my bedroom system I have a Proceed PRE preamp connected to a Yamaha M-80 power amp. The Proceed PRE output impedance is given as less than 20 ohms and the Yamaha amp input impedance is given as 20,000 ohms.

For sake of the discussion, let's say I was using 500ft long interconnect made from 24ga pair of wires. 1000ft of 24ga has resistance of about 26 ohms. The total output impedance is that of the preamp plus interconnect so roughly 46 ohms and, again, the amp input impedance is 20,000 ohms.

This results in signal voltage loss of 0.02dB in this example. Put another way, if the preamp output was 1 volt, the amplifer would see ~0.9977 volt at its input, a loss of 0.0023V

Yes, there is some loss suffered, but very, very, very small amount. There are other factors that may serve to degrade the sound but signal voltage loss, per se, isn't much to speak of.
                        There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• wettou
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • May 2006

Originally posted by Nolan B
                          BS IMO.XLR does nothing over RCA. You would have to do extremely long distances between your amp and SSP before you could scientifically measure a difference. I would go as far as saying that you could go 500 feet between the the SSP and amp before you would even have the possibility of measuring a difference.
                          So please explain to me why all recording studios use only balanced connections

Originally posted by Nolan B
                          If you are looking to improve audio quality look at room treatments before anything else.
                          Agreed you room is equal to 50% of the sound unless you are like me and sit less than five feet away from the speakers when listening closely. :T

Cables are last on the list
                          Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                            • Sep 2001

...unless you are like me and sit less than five feet away from the speakers when listening closely.
                            That's listening closely, alright. :>)

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• chrispy35
                              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by whoaru99
                              Not very much or, perhaps, depends on the nature of the loss you're talking about.

For example...

In my bedroom system I have a Proceed PRE preamp connected to a Yamaha M-80 power amp. The Proceed PRE output impedance is given as less than 20 ohms and the Yamaha amp input impedance is given as 20,000 ohms.

For sake of the discussion, let's say I was using 500ft long interconnect made from 24ga pair of wires. 1000ft of 24ga has resistance of about 26 ohms. The total output impedance is that of the preamp plus interconnect so roughly 46 ohms and, again, the amp input impedance is 20,000 ohms.

This results in signal voltage loss of 0.02dB in this example. Put another way, if the preamp output was 1 volt, the amplifer would see ~0.9977 volt at its input, a loss of 0.0023V

Yes, there is some loss suffered, but very, very, very small amount. There are other factors that may serve to degrade the sound but signal voltage loss, per se, isn't much to speak of.
                              Your example is only accurate for DC which is not what we are worried about for audio. The longer cable run will result in higher inductance in the circuit which, after a point, should introduce some low-pass filtering. How long of a cable you need to have before that becomes audible is another equation.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"