Quick question: Halo C1 vs C2: differences?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeffk
    • Jan 2008

Quick question: Halo C1 vs C2: differences?

Can someone give me a quick rundown on the differences between the two units. Most importantly, is there any difference in SQ, or is it just features? Sorry for asking what might be obvious, but would appreciate quick response. Thanks...Jeff
  • Peter Nielsen
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Sound quality is exactly the same. Differences:

C1 has an LCD. The C2 has a VFD. The VFD of the C2 is very easy to read at distance and you can add an external LCD if you want the LCD feature on the C2. You cannot get the easy to read VFD feature on the C1...

The C1 has three component/RGBHV inputs. The C2 only has two.

IMHO the C2 is the better choice...

Peter

Comment

• Jeffk
      • Jan 2008

Thanks much. I'm looking for a used C2 and a used A51. If anyone is looking to sell, let me know. thanks again...Jeff

Comment

• RJKuzma
        • Jan 2005

I agree that the C2 is probably the better choice. The display of my C1 is impossible to read from more than a few feet away. The C1 supposedly has a slightly larger power supply to power the LCD, but they both should sound the same. Also, if you have other Halo components like the tuner or disc player, the blue display of the C2 is an exact color match.

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by RJKuzma
          The C1 supposedly has a slightly larger power supply to power the LCD, but they both should sound the same.
          Very true. Since it's a switching power supply, the bigger size really does not affect things. Bigger size does not mean better filtering in this case. AFAIK nobody has documented a difference in sonics between the two power supplies. (The PS of the C1 has a higher failure rate, if that means anything...)

Originally posted by RJKuzma
          Also, if you have other Halo components like the tuner or disc player, the blue display of the C2 is an exact color match.
          Good point. It will be an aesthetically pleasing match. However, if you're extremely picky (like me), don't expect a 100% color match of the VFD color. The units don't use the same manufacture of VFD and minor color discrepancies have been noticed by some owners of the D3 (I never owned the D3, but I remember that the C2 and T3 were not 100% identical. The difference was in no way distracting, however). Anyway, in the end the matching design sure is very pleasing!

Peter

Comment

• slayer
            • Dec 2005

C2 for sale

I will contact you directly, but I have mine for sale. I do not want to sell it, but need to. I do not have the box or the sidekick remote. Everything else is there. Works perfect. No scratches. Smoke free home. I do have kids but they don't use this system. I have a different system with a Denon receiver that I run my video games and such from. The C2 has been used in my dedicated room for a couple years and only sees use on weekends as I work nights and am never around. Contact me if interested.
            Parasound Halo C2
            Earthquake Cinenova Grande (5ch amp)
            Crown X1000 (2ch amp)
            Oppo BDP103
            Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 Tube DAC
            Xbox One
            Monster Cable Signiture Series HTPS 7000
            Panasonic 60" ST Series Plasma
            BenQ HT1075 projector w/ 92" Dragonfly screen
            Energy Veritas 2.2i fronts
            Energy Veritas 2.0i center
            CAT Tiburon series side surround
            Energy E-XL 15 rear surround
            Velodyne SMS-1
            Custom 15" sealed sub (Diamond Audio TDX15)

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Just to point out, Randy did follow the rules here by posting the official ad in our "Pawn Shop" area. Go check it out here in the Guide.
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• Jeffk
                • Jan 2008

Randy, Chris, thanks much, but I have a family crisis that has shut me down for now. Hope I can get back into this soon.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"